PDA

View Full Version : Carb Question?

Mick04
01-19-2005, 12:46 AM
I rebuilt the carb on my 81 185s with a moose kit and the damm thing still leaks out the overflow on the bottom of the carb. I have the float height set at .500 inch. Is there any way to recondition the pressed in seat? The thing will idle fine but when I give it any gas it chokes itself out. I can see the gas spitting back out of the carb. Thanks

TimSr
01-19-2005, 10:09 AM
I dont know that carb specifically, but first I would take the floats and put them in a cup of gasoline, leave them overnight, and then make sure they are still floating, and shake them and make sure there is no gas inside of them. Once it is verified that the floats, float, Id set the float level way lower to verify that the float needle is capable of cutting off fuel flow. If it cant, you have a needle/seat problem. If it can, you have a float height setting problem, and you can back off of your measured setting until it will cut off fuel flow before running out the overflow.

bigredhead
01-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Setting the float height is wAYYYY easier using a " Vernier Caliper " . cheap adn worth it !

And like Tim said. if the float float's then check to see if it's the bottom or the top line that leaks.. if it's the bottom, it's the bowl drain screw at fault, if it's the top one the float height is the problem.

That pressed part can and does come out ( the needle valve i beleive ) you need to find something to push it out with, big enough to push evenly around the ring, and small enough not to scar the carb. then put the new one in place and when you screw in the jet it will press it back in place.

:D

bigredhead
01-19-2005, 11:08 AM
oh.. and make sure BOTH floats are at the same height.. another important detail.

Float height = 12.5 mm..