PDA

View Full Version : tri moto 125 reving problem

kando
01-17-2005, 06:11 AM
whenever i am idling or just after starting my yamaha tm 125 idle speed will just start to climb and i have to shut it off for fear of blowing motor. I think a seal ia gone on the crank letting air in, any comments before i tear it apart.

Huffa
01-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Could be a cylinder base gasket or head gasket or the intake boot from the carb to cylinder may be loose or cracked.

To check, start machine and if you can before it starts screaming, spray WD-40 all around areas where there will be a possible leak. If you find it, the idle will go back down to normal just for the period that the D-40 covers the spot.

kando
01-17-2005, 07:08 AM
thanks for advice. will try your suggestions before i rip it apart, it has a lot of hours on it and i just figured that was next to overhaul .

rustbucket
01-18-2005, 12:40 AM
air leak i doubt it my tri motor ran for a long time suking air through a warped head take the slide out of the carb and make sure it installed right it they are twisted and slots aren't lined up its just like holding it half throttle. Don't worry about puking the motor they will take alot of high rpms I once got so mad at mine I held the throttle open for like 4 whole minutes and all it did was vibrate the plug out.

Huffa
01-18-2005, 06:40 AM
air leak i doubt it my tri motor ran for a long time suking air through a warped head take the slide out of the carb and make sure it installed right it they are twisted and slots aren't lined up its just like holding it half throttle. Don't worry about puking the motor they will take alot of high rpms I once got so mad at mine I held the throttle open for like 4 whole minutes and all it did was vibrate the plug out.

Man! I would never leave you ride my machines then!

:wondering :wondering Why would you do such a stupid thing?

rustbucket
01-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Becuase I hated that trike it was the biggest peice of crap on 3 wheels a honda 110 in low range could stomp it. plus i wanted to kill the piston so i would have a reason to throw it outback and go back to my bike. that trike was nothing but pulling the cord and cleaning the carb

MTS
01-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Man! I would never leave you ride my machines then!

:wondering :wondering Why would you do such a stupid thing?
2 strokes are made to handel high RPM, they can go all day as long as your moving, not sure about your idleing problem tho...

Huffa
01-18-2005, 08:24 PM
2 strokes are made to handel high RPM, they can go all day as long as your moving, not sure about your idleing problem tho...

I know that but ANY BIKE 2 or 4 stroke is not made to hold wide open for 4 minutes.

Xtreme_415
01-18-2005, 08:37 PM
those tri-motos are actually very tough, but they are hard to get running right...my friend had 2 of them, and one of them would only go in reverse (do not ask me why) and the other one required alot of fidling with the motor and the rest was allways falling apart...very easy to rip apart and put back together...try what he said with the Wd-40

Tri Moto Man
01-18-2005, 08:47 PM
I just recently got an '82tm175 and it had the same prob. I adjusted the carb and I havent had that problem again

rustbucket
01-19-2005, 12:18 AM
All I know is what finally kiled the mighty trimotor was I forgot to hook up the oil line, it broke my heart but only for a little while, It wasn't very tough, had about as much power a a gopher with one testicle. although it did get dunked in the creek and dumped 10 feet off my bridge, flopped down a hill and bunny hopped over logs, can you guys belive i got almost a summer out of it. I think I may ressurect it soon though I kinda miss that turd.

kando
02-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Tried wd-40, still reved high, tore apart put in new crank seal even though it looked good. Still reved high, ended up finding air/fuel screw missing, and carb fuel jet had clip on lowest setting raising pin up, set it back so it sat lower in carb, put in used air/fuel screw, runs like a top now. Thanks to all who helped. Just thought I'd let you know what it really ended up being.

TimSr
02-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I guess it demonstrates that some many of these things are simple basic problems, and thinking too technical will throw you way off track. I have a 125 trimoto for about 3 or 4 years, and they are very reliable, and pretty much bullet proof. Mine suffered so much abuse, and just kept on going. It definately did not have the low end pulling power of the little 4 strokes, but 1st gear was so low it would pull me up about anything. It lacke dthe powerr to exericse its top end potential with a 165lb adult on it. It also had a poor exhaust design that ignored two stroke power principles, and chokes it. Its biggest problems were sloppy shifting linkage, death wish brakes, and it would roll over if you sneezed, and wheelie over backwards on a dime sized bump. I called mine, "The Death Trap". Though mine tried to kill me on many occassions, Ive got very fond memories of mine. They are extremely difficult to master, but can take loads of abuse.

Yamaha Tri-Moto
02-25-2005, 12:20 AM
ya very true same with mine but thats the fun in riding them. And about the problem he was having with reving ya the idle/air screws are a pain in the ass iv been screwing with mine for a long time 2 find the right setting but overall i love it.