PDA

View Full Version : It fell off

redneck250es
01-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Today i hopped on my red, started her up tried to put it in gear and the dang shifter fell off onto the ground!! :mad:

Im not sure how to fix this since the thing looks like it was welded on but im not sure. it looks like a normal c clamp were you would put a bolt and nut though and tightn but shouldnt there be splines? im not really sure

Does the shaft coming from the case go straight though the shifter base? if so it must of been been welded on.?? :(

MTS
01-15-2005, 05:50 PM
yes it is a c clamp that a bolt go's through, there should be splines on it,

chris200x
01-15-2005, 05:59 PM
That happened to me on my 250sx that i used to have. The splines on the shaft were stripped. they are alot of work to replace. I tried welding it and that only worked for a little while you have to get everything super clean or the weld won't hold. So, instead of replacing it (If you ever weld it and you have to get into the motor on that side chances are you will have to saw the shaft off and replace it anyway) what I did was drilled a hole down through the shaft a little smaller than the bolt that tightens down the lever, put a new hardend bolt through with some washers and she was good as new. Just a suggestion.

redneck250es
01-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the help :beer

83200e
01-15-2005, 10:06 PM
If you weld it back on,be careful not to heat it up too much or you'll damage the oil seal and have a new oil leak.

a-camp
01-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Though you were talking about somthing else ..lol

Pistonhead
01-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Just bolt it back on like MTS said, thats all there is to it.

Trikeaholic
01-15-2005, 10:43 PM
the shafts normally are not hard to replace. They dont have any gears on them or anything. The shaft goes all the way thru to the other side of the motor where it spins a kind of little wheel to switch gears, it comes right out, pretty simple really.

rustbucket
01-18-2005, 12:46 AM
I have welded lots of shifters on just started at the bottom and go around or put the bolt in and take a square stock and drive it in there there then tighten it up.

83185s
01-18-2005, 12:53 AM
yea mines not comin oof for ever..it was welded on with an arc welder..along with the front sprocket welded with the arc welder..(not me) this was before i had it..it was my friends..lucky for me i still have a parts 200 engine that i can use both shafts..all i need is a shifter and a front sprocket and i will be good to go if i replace the old ones