PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225 DX.....a way to make your motor look much better!

Huffa
01-15-2005, 09:39 AM
HI there!

Just joined this site and it seems to be very informative. Hope to have some good conversations with you all!

I just got a 1984 Yamaha 225 DX for free and it needs quite a bit of odds & ends but is definitly restoreable.

The cylinder & head on all the 225's are black of course. This trick I do to make them look much better then stock I'm sure Yamaha would of done too but would of added to the cost a bit as it's an extra step in the final paint process of the motor. I have done this to many motors and don't see how you could argue that it doesn't looks great.

OK, enough blabbing........ here's the little detail trick: 1st take the cam -timing chain cover off and remove the paint on the top portion just down to the 1st fin.......I did this on a bench wire wheel in 10 minutes, next remove the paint on all the fin edges. This takes only a few minutes on wheel. You can wet sand with different grades of paper till you get the brillance you are satisfied with.

If you are satisfied with the outcome do the rest of the fins on the whole motor this way. You can use a drill with a fine wire wheel on it.

The contrast of the unpainted fins (silver) against the black motor looks awsome!

I will glady send you pictures if you are interested at all at huffa@ptd.net

Just blast me an email!

-Huffa

Georgia Boy 666
01-17-2009, 06:27 PM
hmm... there is something wrong with your advitar pic

i will look into doing this to my bike soon as i get it running perfect, thanks for the info!!