PDA

View Full Version : Do painted engines chip and flake off?

kilabeez0
01-14-2005, 10:25 PM
What kind of high temp paint works real good? I'm pulling my engine this weekend to fix a gasket problem and would like to paint it. I'm wondering what you've all tried and had experiences with.

wheelie king
01-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Nothing on an atv, but I tried an engine paint, the guy that recommended it called it black colored "Krinckle" paint. I cannot remember the brand or the specific name, but I remember that it was an engine paint that dried with a wrinkled, bumpy texture. I painted a V-8 truck motor with it. Best I can describe is that it is an engine paint that dries and gives a wrinkled texture to the finish. Painted everything but the headers with it. That was about 2 years ago and still looks good today and stands up to high pressure water washes, also.

Good luck

kilabeez0
01-14-2005, 11:05 PM
i've heard of that. that's mostly for older V8 hot rod engines. i'm wondering how high temp paint will hold up to trail riding and what not.

KASEY
01-14-2005, 11:35 PM
i painted the motor in my trike last year with automotive enamel still looks great,,,i sandblasted it frist though...

twgranger
01-14-2005, 11:56 PM
i painted the motor in my trike last year with automotive enamel still looks great,,,i sandblasted it frist though...
Same here. I bought some high temp paint from autozone made for engines and had no problems with it. :p

Preddy05
01-15-2005, 12:06 AM
I only used high temp paint on a stock pipe that needed painted and it works great so far. i used a gloss black for the motor i just did in a 350x and it looks great but and will hold up fine because the motor don't really get that hot.

kilabeez0
01-15-2005, 02:01 AM
well sand blasting is definitely out of the question because it's all assembled. i'll just be pulling the head and cylinder off. When u guys sandblast your motor, do u have everything including cases apart and just blast the bare cases/cylinder/head with no internal parts inside?