PDA

View Full Version : sand in motor

krizo88
01-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I sand blasted my R motor, and now I have a crap load of sand in it. I took the top end off and the the water pump side cover off to inspect. Any ideas of how to get the sand out without splitting the cases and going through everything?? Maybe flush it out with WD-40 or brake and parts cleaner?? Any input would be great. thanks Chris

Mr. Sandman
01-14-2005, 03:03 PM
If you've got sand all the way down in the trans. you should split the cases. You could try an engine block flush, but I highly doubt you'd get all of it out.

raptor
01-14-2005, 03:07 PM
damn! thats a bummer! did you cover all the holes when sand blasting?

krizo88
01-14-2005, 03:22 PM
ya , i had all the holes plugged off, I cant tell exactly how much is in there, but when i took the top end apart I seen a thin layer sitting on top of the crank. How time consuming is it to split the cases? Whats involved in doing this? I never have done this before.

OldSchoolin86
01-14-2005, 03:26 PM
The only way to make sure it's all out is to do what Sandman said, split the cases. It only takes one grain to get into a bearing and quickly ruin it. You get a blown bearing in you trans and you'll be buying gears when the balls shoot threw the teeth. Been there and done that.