PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new motor...

Kintore
01-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Im ordering my Wiesco piston, gasket kit and Boyesen reeds in a few days. Ill have them within a week probably, so my question is what are your suggestions to break in a newly rebuilt 2 stroke engine?

Ive heard ride for 15 minutes less than half throttle than let cool for 30 mins. Then do that for 2 tanks of gas.

I just want to do it right, thats all

:TrikesOwn

and what kind of Champion spark plug do I use? (the number)

MTS
01-13-2005, 08:48 PM
start it up let it idle for a min or 2 then just ride it around the way your gona ride it, its a 2 stroke if something is going to go wrong with it it will happen when you first start it up =)

Pistonhead
01-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Pics man! Good luck gettin her back together and tearin up some dirt!

hotroddal
01-13-2005, 09:09 PM
well when I rebuild engines I start them up let them warm up first then ride it for about 30 miles off and on at about anywhere less from half throttle then after about 30 miles ride it like you wana ride it.

Dammit!
01-13-2005, 09:13 PM
I would just try to avoid running at any constant rpm for 30 minutes or so and make sure you warm it up right. All you need to do is get the rings to seat and it's all good after that. I probably rode mine gingerly for an hour or so and started ripping on it after that. No problems.

Kintore
01-13-2005, 09:16 PM
ok pistonhead i got pics, but it looks real bad in the few I have, like no entire wire-wheeled frame and and all around looks like poo. Now its totally gloss black and shines awesomly. But the last pic is what is will generally come out to look like, someone on this board has it and I love it so much i idolize it. lol

So im going black frame, seat,tank,handlebars, fenders and custom rear grab bar with
red rear shock,tank scoops, and top end on engine.
and chrome wheels maybe silver?

and in the first pic the background is the pro link which is going black or red. any suggestions on colour?

Mr. Sandman
01-13-2005, 09:27 PM
I would just try to avoid running at any constant rpm for 30 minutes or so and make sure you warm it up right. All you need to do is get the rings to seat and it's all good after that. I probably rode mine gingerly for an hour or so and started ripping on it after that. No problems.
If you've got an unlimited budget go ahead and ride the hell out of as soon as you start it up. If not, and you want it to last, go the route Dammit! did and take it easy for an hour or two or a tank of gas at no more than half throttle and vary the RPM's. Let it cool down overnight and re-torque the head and cylinder nuts. And don't use a Champion plug, pick up the proper NGK and you'll be better off.

BLAZERONE22
01-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Make sure you use a oem base gasket, is only 6 bucks, the head gasket is 28.00. sometimes aftermarket ones don't fit right.

I've always wondered about breakin. When you get a new weedeater or chainsaw, I don't run it at1/4 to 1/2 throttle for an hour. I fire it up and run the heck out of it. really whats the difference? lol

I'm a little more cautious on a bike, as far as being easy on it for at least a tank or two.

TimSr
01-13-2005, 09:50 PM
It takes less than 30 minutes to seat a new set of rings on a two stroke. I dont know what gas tanks everybody uses, but a tank of gas is 2 or 3 hours riding for me. Take it easy for a half hour, varying RPM,s and avoid making it scream. Very brief full throttle hits ar fine and necessary. Trail riding is great for break in.

andy
01-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Your guys answers are different than what Ive done.

Break-in procedures (http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)
All my bikes have had the top ends last forever...and im not exactly easy on them either.

Mr. Sandman
01-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Everyone does it differently, but when I finish rebuilding the top end on my R, I want it to last as long as possible, especially on a high dollar motor. So, I take it easy for an hour or so or run through a tank of gas, whichever comes first. Re-torquing the head is also a good practice and worth the time and effort. And as Blazerone said, spending the extra $ for factory gaskets is well worth it.

:beer

Kintore
01-13-2005, 10:25 PM
I think I will spend and get factory gaskets for it, so what ive gathered ill let it idle for 15 mintues, then ride harder then ride the way I would. Thanks for all the help guys!

and ill be sure to use a NGK plug

Dammit!
01-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Re-torquing the head is also a good practice and worth the time and effort.

Oh yeah. Don't forget to do that like I did last time. :welcome:

Pistonhead
01-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Lookin' good man, finish her up in time for spring!

raptor
01-14-2005, 07:21 AM
you beat me to it kintore. as discussed in pms that i asked how to brake my motor in.

saved me some time :D

Kintore
01-15-2005, 01:24 AM
I guess I did degreez, what are you getting for your motor?

raptor
01-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Im just getting a new piston and rings and having the cylinder re-bored as it was scored or something. have a uni filter aswell to go in it. and few other little parts to make it look nice.

i was running the wrong amount 2 stroke oil. as i calculated the mixture wrong! DOH!

Kintore
03-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Sorry to bring this up again, I got a question. Do I have to put oil down my cylinder via spark plug hole before I fire?
Or some pre mix down there?

Im ready to fire up my dads today :w00t:

crackshot
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Sorry to bring this up again, I got a question. Do I have to put oil down my cylinder via spark plug hole before I fire?

During assembly, you should have coated cylinder and parts with thin coat of 2 stroke oil.

Motoman is right, you want a slow engine, baby it. You want a fast engine, run the hell out of it after warming up.

crackshot
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM

During assembly, you should have coated cylinder and parts with thin coat of 2 stroke oil.

Motoman is right, you want a slow engine, baby it. You want a fast engine, run the hell out of it after warming up.

Billy Golightly
03-04-2006, 11:24 AM
I personally do not reccomend coating the cylinder walls with oil before first firing. Assembling the cylinder dry helps prevent glaze and scoring early. The main and rod bearings should always be well lubed through.

TimSr
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Its not necessary, unless it will sit for a awhile before being started and too much will probably result in a fouled plug. As soon as it starts, it will pull in oil mixed gas. The more importnat thing is to make sure there is some oil in the bottom of the crank area to lube the bearings before you put it back together. Typically there is some oil in there each you take it apart, but if it got flushed out, or cases split, or anything like that, you need to start off with some 2 stroke oil in the bearings. It takes a lot longer for a good coat of oil to accumulate in there than the cylinder where it comes in with the gas. For peopel running Blue Marble, its a good idea to coat the cylinder with oil, and heat it up to about 175- 200 degrees or so to allow the chemical agents to bond before installing it.

daputz
03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
If you are going for longevity, break it in with multiple heat cycles gradually increaseing the rpm range.

If you are looking for a regular rider, vary the rpms (top to bottom) never keeping it in one range for any strech of time.

If you are looking for a racer, rebuild it, run it through a couple of 5 min cycles..........then race it.

I personally break my 2 strokes in by way of the 2nd method. I do compression tests every 1/2 hour or so untill I reach final top compression.............usually only takes a couple hours of varied throttle (unless you try to break in with full synthetic...........took me well over 10 hrs to top out on compression DOHHHHHHH:eek: ).

slothminx
03-04-2006, 12:29 PM

I disagree with this,

My opinion and how ive broken in my pinger motors has been 2 hours of varied revs gentle riding to seat everything in and feel for anything a miss with the engine. And then start to increase the revs over the next hour of run time until your riding hard. This should be done with cooling periods every 30 mins of riding.

Kintore
03-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Sorry to bring this back once again, do I need a special ratio?
synthentic or non syn to break it in?

crackshot
03-05-2006, 11:19 PM
DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC TO BREAK IN!!!!! The rings will never seat. Use a regular good ol' petroleum based 2 stroke oil in it.
Personally, I will never use a synthetic 2 stroke oil ever again.
As for you ratio, go by what manufacture recommends. You can always run rich and foul a plug or you can score, gouge up, burn down cylinder / engine by running too lean.

TimSr
03-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Break it in with the same gas/oil mix at the same ratio that you will be running in it.

Enigma
03-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Kintore don't be sorry, I was wondering about breaking in my tecate because I just had the cylinder replated. Once I get it back together, I think I will ride my bike easy varying the RPM's for 1 tank then ride it how I normally would (which means like the banshee beater it is :w00t: ).