PDA

View Full Version : 200e oil on plug

3wheelsbramptn
01-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Hey! fellows I just bought a 1983 200E, When I bought it It didn't run so I cleaned the carb, I put a new float set, because the plug was wet with gas and I could smell the gas in the oil. After I changed the oil and put a new plug. First crank it fired up but dosen't idle and there is oil on my spark plug. I was wondering if somebody had any sugestions for me, I would really appreciate the help Thanks....

bigredhead
01-12-2005, 04:58 PM
If you have the tools do a compression test, this will tell you a few things.. top end or worn rings...

rich running and unburnt gas would also give you that impression, black liquid on plug.

Blown 331
01-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Not a help to this thread but when I first read the title I thought it said 200E coil on plug. I was like whoa, I gotta see this. lol.

If it has oil on the plug I take it that it smokes a lot? Rings would be my guess, I've barely seen a 200 that didn't need them.

HaggLE
01-12-2005, 05:11 PM
We need to know whether its smokey or not. If it is, keep it running for a while and if the smoke clears then id say its valve stem seals. If it doesnt then its the rings. Is it really easy to pull over? thats also another indication of worn rings/low compression.

bigredhead
01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
how expensive and difficult to install are valve seals?

My big red is in need ,,

Blown 331
01-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Valve stem seals are cheap and fairly easy to install. I really can't see them being bad enough to oil foul your plug though.

3wheelsbramptn
01-12-2005, 05:44 PM
It was very smokey before I dumped out the old gas. With the new gas it starts right away and dosen't smoke but still dosen't idle even with carb adjusted to factory specs. With my thumb on the plug hole there is lots of compression when I crank it over. I also took the valve covers off and they are covered in oil, I don't know if thats normal.

MTS
01-12-2005, 06:20 PM
to get it to idle nice turn the screw on the left side of the carb IN for higher idle, you set this when its warmed up, and the air screw(the one thats upsidedown bottem of carb) you set as follows, when warmed up and idleing set to factory spec, then turn the screw in, in half turns untill the motor starts to faulter(runs crappy popping noise wants to die ecte ect) then count the half turns OUT untill the motor starts to faulter again, then put it in the middle of the 2 faulter points, the needle clip on the slide should be in the middle notch, also what size of pilot and main jet are you running ? should be a 38 pilot(small one) and a 95-100 Main jet(big one) normally. once you have the idle and air screw set right you can start messing with jetting via plug chops

Pistonhead
01-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Put in new rings, and valves since they are cheap, new gaskets well your at it and it should do fine, I've got two 200e trikes. There hardly be a used big red out there that doesn't need new rings. I'm completely redoing my 82, and the 83 is almost so bad that we make whoevers riding it go at the back of the party every ride. Luckily parts are pretty cheap.

3wheelsbramptn
01-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded I appreciate the advice, I will change the rings and valves and let you know the outcome.