PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have trouble installing FMF silencer?

badpig121
01-11-2005, 09:03 PM
I got my turbine core silencer, but the Fatty pipe is on backorder for a little bit. I went to install the silencer with the stock pipe (don't ask why, because I can...but it turns out I can't :D ) but the silencer lines up WAY to low. The bottom bolt hole of the silencer body lines up with the frame hole for the original (that the stock pipe hanger bolts on to). That puts the top hole on the silencer body about 1 1/2" to low. Will this pose a problem with the FMF pipe, or will it come out at a different angle? Do I need to make a bracket? Or have I just created a whole bunch of crap for nothing because I wanted to install a silencer on a stock pipe?

Thanks,
Badpig

Dammit!
01-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Does it look like this?

http://members.cox.net/qwikstop/powercore.jpg

There's an adapter that bolts to the silencer. It should be on your stock one. Just take it off of that.

badpig121
01-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home. I just moved and my DSL isn't hooked up yet :mad: , so I'm using everyone else's computers. I'll let you know of thats it.

Dammit!
01-11-2005, 09:15 PM
I made the same mistake too. My stock silencer was so dirty right there that I didn't realize that thing was only bolted on. :)

a-camp
01-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Yes there is 2 hangers on the silencer .( one double ane one singal down low) . I got my pipe at same time so I'm not sure on the fit. Dont forget the spacer on the top against the frame. With my FMF it took a little work to get pipe and silencer hung good. You may need to tweek the tab on the hanger or add washers. Check the distance between pipe and skid plate and pipe and radiator.Make sure pipe is not binding at the silencer. Check fender clearance at coupling. Oh ya your stock exaust coupling will not stay on for more than 5 minutes at a time. You will need a good one. The silencer sits farther out than stock just get it straight square to the bike . HAPPY TWISTING . You will love it when it dialed.

sandrooster
01-12-2005, 03:49 PM
The bottom bolt hole of the silencer body lines up with the frame hole for the original (that the stock pipe hanger bolts on to).

You need to use the stock pipe hanger just like the stock muffler.