PDA

View Full Version : You can fix a gas cap from an SX

Tri-ZNate
01-11-2005, 05:34 PM
I guess this was my first fabrication or my first fixing that ive done to my SX. At first I drilled through the cap to the hole on the underside, took a little piece of aluminum tubing, and JB welded it to the gas top where you choose on or off for the air flow. Well that s**t the bed so I took drastic measures. I drilled a BIGGER hole from the top of the cap almost to the bottom. Well in this process the on off selector came off and the black metal covering which I thought was part of the cap itself. Well this was a good thing. It enabled me to clean all the insides, tap the top back on, and thread the insides. Lastly I went over to the drill press and drilled a hole upward into the bolt. I stuck that sucker on and away I went. Oh and the pics are in reverse order.

P.S. My original problem was that the selector wouldnt work, ex. the on and off both turned the air flow off. This also saved me about $40 or from buying a 200x or 350x cap that had a vent hose. And so far no gas has leaked out when I do wheelies :twisted:

350x'inNY
01-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Hmmm..... not exactly sure of the purpose of drilling a hole through your gas cap and plugging it with a bolt, but if that rocks your socks than more power to you! :w00t:

Does it still "vent" then? Go riding for a while and then take the gas cap off. If it "whooshes" then it's not venting. Or does turning the bolt turn the vent on and off?

I'm sure people have a couple of these caps around... wouldn't it be easier to just get one that works?

Bruce

Tri-ZNate
01-11-2005, 05:52 PM
I figured id turn to my redneck heritage. THe cap is always letting air in through that litle hole in the side (see pic 2). I figured though that if I had to get a new cap anyway y not see what I can do to fix this one. And so far it works. so yeah THAT ROCKS MY SOCKS!