PDA

View Full Version : HMMMM how much to extend swinger? need sugestions!

MTS
01-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Well, i was think about my 480r that im gona build up and i cant decide on a swinger length i dont want it to be too long cuze this is no dunes machine and will be mostly MX style ridein and woods and flat out flying anyone have any sugestions for this application? also i hear the honda swingers are the easiest to extend but im wondring which is the best/strongest way to extend it, i have a few ideas but would like to hear what the pros think :D ;) :beer :w00t: :TrikesOwn

TimSr
01-10-2005, 03:55 PM
What shortcoming are you trying to address or solve, or what is it that you are wanting an extended swingarm to do for you?

BigGreenMachine
01-10-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm no pro but 2 inches would be about right for me. Just enough to keep the frontend planted when you need it to be but not still short enough to get the tire in the air when you need to. Try using the stock swingarm before you go cutting just to make sure you really need one.

Yamahammer490
01-10-2005, 11:23 PM
A longer wheelbase makes for more high speed stability and sluggish turning. Since both woods riding and MX require responsive turning my recommendation would be also to stick with the stock swingarm length or extend it only a little if you need to shift the weight bias.

For what it's worth, I think some of the factory Honda riders used to even run with SHORTENED swingers in some cases.

MTS
01-11-2005, 12:19 AM
hmm thanks for the reply's i suppose i will start with stock and work from there, i was just figureing with almost 2 times the cc's it might be a problem keeping the front end planted...........;)

TimSr
01-11-2005, 12:28 AM
A longer wheelbase makes for more high speed stability and sluggish turning. Since both woods riding and MX require responsive turning my recommendation would be also to stick with the stock swingarm length or extend it only a little if you need to shift the weight bias.

For what it's worth, I think some of the factory Honda riders used to even run with SHORTENED swingers in some cases.

Thats exactly why I asked the question, and you are right in that the most popular swinagrm for MX on the TRX250R is a -1".

MTS
01-11-2005, 02:04 AM
why would they run a shorter swinger..? im still learning hear....heh

Quickonstep
01-11-2005, 02:45 AM
tighter turning, more agile

Jesse

Billy Golightly
01-11-2005, 10:52 AM
The 86-87 TRX250R's have a swingarm the same length as the ATC250R (I'm almost positive). Honda swapped this over when they designed the TRX, but did not realise that since the frontend on the trx was considerably heavier that it did not need to be that long. 88-89's went to -1. The main reason is, as mentioned, tighter turning radius. I've noticed that with the stock length 87 swingarm on my trx, it is a little bit diffitult to wheelie it much, if I have anything but All traks it just spins. A shorter swingarm also makes more traction (More weight overtop of the axle), obviously a longer one is opposite.

KASEY
01-11-2005, 11:21 AM
when i put knobbies on my 500,,, i could spin them for 200' it has so much explosive torque that you don't need an extended swingarm, i can start out in third gear and just roast the tires ,,, i put a set of 18" turf tamers on ,,, it was fun to start from a dead stop in 4th gear and throw roost for 200' without shifting ,,,, not very good for tire wear though,,,,

MTS
01-11-2005, 08:28 PM
thanks guys this helps alot, KASEY would love to see that LOL