PDA

View Full Version : 225DX Questions...

350x'inNY
01-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey... TheOlderFox helped me get my 225DX to run last weekend! Thanks alot man!

Got a few questions for ya....

1.) Could someone tell me the sizes or take a pic of the bolts apart, that are used for the top of the cylinder motor mount?

2.) Recommendations for air filters?

3.) Recommendation for brake cables/pads?

4.) Electric Start troubleshooting hints?

5.) Model year hints from the VIN number? Does it use the K = 83, L =84, N = 85 conventions?

This is my first 'yellow' trike.... seems like a different world sometimes than my 350X and 250R!

Bruce

350x'inNY
01-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Bueller..... anyone.... Bueller??? hahahaa

Well, I'm going to go tinker some more on the 225DX and the Yamahauler from Holic today.... I also need to package up some parts... (350X exhaust to send and a KLT200 motor to crate)... so ponder my questions there 225DX guru's, and I'm sure I'll have more in a few....

Oh... here's one I forgot....

Is there a way to stop a leaking petcock? Aftermarket ones available? I got like 4 225DX tanks, only 2 have petcocks, and the best one leaks!

Bruce

thefox
01-10-2005, 12:29 AM
I would check denniskirk for brake pads and cables, I know they have some cables but I don't remember which ones, same with the air filter. I seems like a lot of the Yamaha's have stater motor problems but I am not sure if it Is the bearings or brushes or what that causes it. Year codes are K - '83, L - '84, N - '85.

Lots_Of_Nothing
01-10-2005, 02:34 AM
About your petcock... My old DX one leaked like crazy, and so didnt a few other ones I had.... What has worked for me about 6 times is taking the petcock apart, and where the metal seals (usually held together with 2 screws) I put a thin coat of high quality silicone on both sides and put it back together, sure has saved me alot of money. Usually its just that thin metal wanna-be gasket that causes the problem, heh.

edog
01-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Congradulations,on stepping to the other side of the trike relm.These trikes are great,they are fairly fast,handle very well with the right mods.It's not a 250r or a 350x.You can ride these machines fairly hard.Ride them all day long,and not feel you have run a all day enduro on your 250r.They get exellent gas millage.There are a fair amont of up grade you can do to this mahine.Go to your local yamaha dealer and order a new petcok valve.You will not be dissapointed.It was under $30 dollars.post some pics sometime?

atckowalski
01-10-2005, 04:57 PM
The electric start usually goes out because of a bad connection if not check relay and solonoid located near the tailight.Then check the wire running down to the neutral safety switch, also wiggle the shift lever to make sure it is in neutral as you hold down the button. Another thing you can do to see if it is weak is to let it crank,and if it does not start, try pulling it over while the button is pushed.Then there is dissembling the starter itself.When you do,check the magnet around the inside of the casing(I had one that was totally cracked up)then check the brushes,chances are that the small spring which holds each brush in place is worn out or broken.(You should be able to find new brushes at an electric motor shop)Finally , check the resistance between the arpatures to verify the state of your windings.If you need more info let me know, I can bring home my manual if you need the numbers. :o