PDA

View Full Version : splines..

bigredhead
01-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Ok.. on my 85 250 SX.

If i lift up the rear end ( jack stand on the trailer hitch ) to get both wheels off the ground, and by placing a hand on each wheel i can rotate the wheels in oposite directions about a 1/2 inch or so.

I'm thinking " duh " that my shaft's splines or hubs or both are getting worn, don't seem to slip any. yet. but i'm wondering if there is anything one can or should do to help them last ?

or is a bit of play normal ?

AZ250R
01-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Just to compare "apples to oranges" here, my front wheel drive car has way more play than that. So I'm think'n your alright for now. ;)

bigredhead
01-04-2005, 05:10 PM
yeah.. but i bet it's got a differential too. !!!

now get your apples outa my orange basket ! LOL.....

PlatinumDogg
01-04-2005, 08:26 PM
I has play like that, i let it slide and slide n it eventually stripped the hub splines out. I dont baby my machine so i dont think that helped much either.

Howdy
01-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Ok.. on my 85 250 SX.

If i lift up the rear end ( jack stand on the trailer hitch ) to get both wheels off the ground, and by placing a hand on each wheel i can rotate the wheels in oposite directions about a 1/2 inch or so.

I'm thinking " duh " that my shaft's splines or hubs or both are getting worn, don't seem to slip any. yet. but i'm wondering if there is anything one can or should do to help them last ?

or is a bit of play normal ?

Either your hub splines, your axle splines, or both are wore. There shouldn't be any play in them. If your able to move them by hand, this tells me your huibs are not on tight. If you ride with the hubs loose you will wear out the splines ( like you already have ). First step is to remove the hub from the axle and see what part is wore. Most likely it's both ( axle and hub / hubs ). For now re-install the hub and tighten the nut on the axle down tight. If the wheel turns ( even a little ) by hand you may need to add a washer behind the nut. Tighten it back down and try it again.

Once you get the above done start looking for replacement parts ( what ever is wore ). If you can't tell if the axle / hub splines are wore take some good close up pictures and post them / or email them to me and I will post them. Others and myself should be able to tell you what is wore from Good pictures.
I can also list the needed parts on ebay ( just need to know what ones ). ;)
Howdy

bigredhead
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Awsome.. thanks howdy !

i'll try an snap a few tonight, i've stoped riding since i've noticed this ( don't want to make it worse for myself.. ) I have to replace the left side bearings for sure, they still roll but they do have play, i'm told ( from previous owner) that the bearings are only a year old, but the dust seal was not seated properly at one point and muck got in them and they were " crunching !!! ".. they got re-packed with grease and the dust seal was put back in place..

but a crunching bearing .. is a crunching bearing.. i'ma replace the whole rear end set of 5.. yes.. that's right.. 5 frikin bearings !!!!!!!!!

I'm considering doing the swing arm at the same time for the hell of it, i like to know what i ride on.....

AZ250R
01-05-2005, 05:30 PM
MAN! I thought I was being kinda funny in my first post & seriously didn't think you had much of a problem going on!? So NOT So FUNNY, seems you've got a bit of fix'n to do now. OTOH, makes me not feel too bad replace'n just a couple of berrings and mybe a chain on my R. :p
So these shaft drives wear out that often? Always thought If I had one I'd run it through as much mud as possible & now in retrospect your comments would make me shy away from the MUCKIEness... Good luck, sounds like all your parts are in Howdys hands though!!! :beer