PDA

View Full Version : 86 tecate oem carb

glass
01-04-2005, 02:09 PM
I recently bought an 86 tecate. The guy I bought it from had let it sit so long that the carb needed a good cleaning, instead he bought a new aftermarket replacement and threw away the stock one. I really would like to replace it with a new stock one or a used one in good condition , that might only need a rebuild. Does anyone know if oem is still available? Do any of you guys have one you would like to sell?

smokinp
01-04-2005, 02:19 PM
why not buy a good used one off ebaymotors?whats wrong with the carb you have now?

glass
01-04-2005, 02:27 PM
It is not correct for the bike and I want to make it all original. I have not seen to many on e-bay. When I call the dealer they say it is no longer available but if I look up a 86 kx250 dirt bike on bike bandit it has the same part number and it 100 bucks cheaper and is available. Is it exactly the same?

ScottZJ
01-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Go to http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp? and find the part number for the carb you need.

Then go to http://www.cycle-parts.com/shopbyparts.asp and type your part numbers in there. YOu dont know if they have it til you get the email back. The only down fall is you have to order over 110$ in parts before you can order anything from them.

HRC1
01-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I had a 86" tecate for about 5 months. Long enough to do a decent resto on it and sell it to a friend of mine. The OEM carb NEVER quit leaking. I put a new needle and seat in it. That helped for 1 day. I hated that carb. All i remember about it was it didnt seem very user friendly for that bike. ot tunable either. I'd stay with what u have if it works good and avoid the headache. Besides u can barley see the carb on those bikes anyways. MAybe someone else has had better exp with the stock carb, but not me.

NICKG
01-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I had a 86" tecate for about 5 months. Long enough to do a decent resto on it and sell it to a friend of mine. The OEM carb NEVER quit leaking. I put a new needle and seat in it. That helped for 1 day. I hated that carb. All i remember about it was it didnt seem very user friendly for that bike. ot tunable either. I'd stay with what u have if it works good and avoid the headache. Besides u can barley see the carb on those bikes anyways. MAybe someone else has had better exp with the stock carb, but not me.
perhaps if you lowered the float height it wouldn't leak. the stock carb on the tecate is almost the same as the 85 250r, made by mikuni and it works VERY well and is VERY tuneable...if you know what you are doing. any way post a picture of the carb you have....a carb from an 85 tecate is basically the same and should run around 35 or less on ebay

NICKG
01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
the best place for oem kawasaki (tecate) parts is Bob tracy world of cycle...25% off true list price and great service, and they don't overcharge for shipping. for the tecates, the parts manager is THE guy to call(i want to say Mark) he knows these very well and they stock parts for them. 800-860-0686 very comparable to service honda,except they do yamaha, ktm,suzuki and kawasaki.

tecatemantodd
01-04-2005, 09:56 PM
I have one from my 86 in the garage. It worked fine but I replaced it with a 38mm airstriker. The only problem is I don't have all of the cap. The swivel dealie that goes into the cap is gone......

HRC1
01-04-2005, 11:01 PM
perhaps if you lowered the float height it wouldn't leak. the stock carb on the tecate is almost the same as the 85 250r, made by mikuni and it works VERY well and is VERY tuneable...if you know what you are doing. any way post a picture of the carb you have....a carb from an 85 tecate is basically the same and should run around 35 or less on ebay
LOL, I know what i'm doing, that was my third atc, 2nd 2-stroke. I have a 85' 250r that is mint, and that thing never leaked like the kow did. Come to think of it, it never leaked a drop. I can't remem what carb it was, but i got the bike from the original owner and it was the stocker. I thought it was a keihn, or whatever they are. But i don't remember it being anything like the R carb. I messed with the float about 3 times and it NEVER quit leaking. It just started running out of gas under full throttle.I was actually going to put a 250R carb on it and ditch the stocker (i hate twist throttles) but sold it to a buddy of mine who sold it a month later. I'm almost posative it was a diff mfg than the honda. Anyone know for sure what a stock 86 tecate carb is suppost to be?

Jeb
01-05-2005, 09:32 AM
... Anyone know for sure what a stock 86 tecate carb is suppost to be?

Round Slide Mikuni. Pretty sure a VM series and I can't remember if the 86 was 34 or 36mm stock. I'd have to look it up in the manual.

I think the only Tecate to every have a Keihin stock was the '88 Tecate-4.

Sometimes my floats stick and it'll pour gas out the bottom when it's setting.

86waterpumper
01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
NickG you are correct in describing the t3 carb, but I haven't seen anything concrete showing that 85 250r's ever came with a mikuni carb. My 85r has the stock carb on it, and it's a keihin roundslide, in my collection of 100+ magazines from the 80's and brochures, etc every bike tested or shown also has a roundslide keihin (oval slide in 86)

NICKG
01-05-2005, 04:00 PM
my 85 had a a round slide keihin....i bought it all stock from original owner. the carb on it was very similar to a tecate carb....

HRC1
01-05-2005, 05:40 PM
All i remember without going about the tecate carb was that it leaked, it lacked something the 250r carb had, some adjustment, jet, whatever it was that i noticed, and within a week of having it, i hated it. And it was hard to get to. It was not the same carb as on my R. This was a 86 tecate with a roundslide. I played with it and had the seat, tank, airbox off that thing enough that i didnt want anything to do with it, so i got the jetting close and sold it. I'm pretty sure that it didn't have the adjustability of the honda carb, but that was 3 yrs ago, maybe i forgot something. All i was saying is i had a bad experience with the one i had, and that if the one glass has works well, i'd keep it on there. I am a fanatic about having factory correct stuff on my bikes too, but the carb is barley noticable and if anything the one he has is probably a upgrade anyways.