PDA

View Full Version : Buddys 1985 ATC 70 Will not run. Help.

ClayW
01-03-2005, 06:02 PM
The bike has a brand new carb on it, points, Spark Plug, and ignition coil. We replaced this and the bike ran decent. Lacked power thou. Not near as peppy as my daughters 70. A few weeks back he went to crank it and it would not crank. It had only been a few days since it had been ran. It had been running for about 2 months prior. Now it will not run. Has spark, and is getting fuel. Wont run. even tried starting fluid. Wont hit a lick. We drug it around the yd in gear quite a bit to see if it would fire off. No luck. Do you think that the lack of power could be low compression? It doesnt smoke. Could it have jumped time? We are at a loss. I know that the little 70s can be fickle to crank sometimes. My daughters runs great, but if it sits for a few weeks, it is hard to initially start. What do you guys think. At a loss here. :beer

Mr. Sandman
01-03-2005, 07:47 PM
It sounds like you've got all the bases covered but as you said, try a compression check and check the timing chain/time. Another thing to look for, as these old bikes age is that some of the soldered connections on the kill switch can crack / come loose so you might check that as well. It's also possible that the wiring harness is grounding out on the frame somewhere.

ClayW
01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks. Thats some good things to check.

ATCnut
01-03-2005, 11:26 PM
I always try a brand new plug. I do not know what it is about honda 4-strokes, but I find that a new plug fixes the "I do not want to start" problem most of the time. I find that the plug issue is much worse on a trike that gets started and run infrequently. I have never changed a plug during a week of riding, but have put a new one in to start the week in a trike that was running when it was put away. just my 2 cents worth.

ClayW
01-04-2005, 12:02 AM
We have replaced the plug 2months ago. But I will check it. Try it. :beer

ATCnut
01-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I buy plugs by the box anymore. all of my trikes except the 70 use the same one. When a new one makes the trike run, I throw the old one away. At ~$2 each, it is not worth my time to mess around.

bonkers_200s
01-04-2005, 03:01 PM
new plug or clean the carb.

But if you sprayed starting fluid into the carb it should have turned over or sputtered at least once, I'd try the plug first.

ClayW
01-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Its a brand new carb. Brand new. Shouldnt need cleaning after being on there 2 months. However I have checked it mult times. Clean as a pin and getting gas.

Mr. Sandman
01-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Another thing to check that I've had problems with in the past is the spark plug boot and inner connection ring. Even though you're getting spark, it could be weak and or intermittent.

ClayW
01-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Will check it. The boot is new too. LOL. It has quite a few new parts. Thats why we have been stumped. :beer

quik5.0
01-04-2005, 09:56 PM
check that cam timing ,I am curious now!!!!! I have a 85 also and it is a biatch to start when not warmed up!!!!!

jenndnn3
01-04-2005, 10:00 PM
You replaced the points, but did you set them properly? AT "F" not T Also did you do the compression check?

ClayW
01-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah the points were properly set. I dont have anything to check the compression with. Yet!!.