PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki KLT 200’s the miss understood 3 wheelers

JordanT
01-02-2005, 01:31 AM
:Bounce Hello I’m new to this site, but not new to stuff with motors on em.

I was reading Super junkie’s column on some guys 1983 KLT part search. I think he had some issues with the KLT 200 that can be dealt with. So I'm giving the KLT 200 a fair fight.
(Because I happen to own a modified\decked out 1983 KLT200A Duckster.)

Now then, for all the people thinking a KLT is a peace of junk.
Lets look at some pros and cons first!

:( Cons

1,) It’s motor was electric start only. Nice to know I won’t be buying a new kick start… not so nice to know I won’t be going any ware with a dead battery.

2,) The little known fact that the fuel pump it came with was way too weak for the job to begin with. Also the fuel line it came with would let the presser go where it was hooked up to the pump. Both problems caused the motor to fail sometimes, giving the bike a bad rep and I think if super junky was running his with a stock fuel pump it might explain some of his problems.

3,) They could have done much better with the headlight.

4,) The snowmobile throttle is nice for safety but not so nice to your thumb.

5,) I kinda liked the idea of not tinkering with the points, but I don’t like the idea of playing the game of what’s wrong with the little black box if it ever fails.

6,) It’s well made but made by Kawasaki, so get ready for dim looks by mass Honda fans who may have already jugged it before even seeing it.

7,) The basic klt 200 with no racks and its origin fuel pump. Looked a lot like a vw bug with 3wheels and ran a lot like a huge old ford truck with no box befit!

Ok now that Iv got the bad out of the way……. Lets look at the good!

:D Pro

Lockable diffs!
Pretty sure it has the largest and toughest hunting racks front and back for a 3 wheeler!
Fishing rack!
Gun rack!
Tow ball at the back
Frame can easily be fitted with thick well mounted under plating giving complete protection of the entire underside of the bike even in the back spot where there was no plating before.
Electronic IGN
12volt system
Came from the factory in 1983 with an o ring chain that was completely protected and sealed from dirt in a metal box that went all way around the back sprocket to the motor (had a rubber plug you could remove to oil the chain)
It came with a auto chain tightener
Electric starting
The 200 cc motor actually had an oil filter in it and is pretty good with fuel usage.
5 speed strait up!
Axel ect ect all the crap at the back is well sealed off un like many other bikes out there.
3.5 gallon gas tank.
IGN control box is located well away from the motor in the safest place on the bike.
Easy CB antenna mounting on the back rack and a CB can be mounted easy on the support plate. (Located between the handle bars where the gun\fishing rack goes)
The snowmobile throttle may not be as fun but keep in mind you won’t kill trailprotrailpro self by accidentally giving it more gas when you start to loose control in a bad spot.

With the right self-done modifications I believe you could be looking at the most reliable and best suited 3weeler for hunting and deep woods camping ever made.

:beer Ps: If anyone needs pics\info on must do modifications for this bike let me know.

Darius1502
01-02-2005, 02:33 AM
Just to place things into context....

Here are some of these creations:

http://dekas.dyndns.org/pleurt/kawasaki/kawklt200.jpg

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sKaw1981klt200A.jpg

http://www.3wheeler.org/pics/Kawasaki/83-klt200-misc.jpg

I think in later years they had a back up kickstarter.

Also Kawasaki came up with another the KLT200C.... It had front shocks like thier old KLT 250:

So you could choose between the old KLT200B (seen above) or the KLT200C (shown below). The difference....front shocks and a differential. I guess when they made the second model they took the differential from the basic 200 model.

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sKaw1983klt200bklt200cB.jpg

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sKaw1983klt200bklt200cC.jpg

Darius1502
01-02-2005, 02:35 AM
A buddy of mine had one of the KLT200C's and it was slow pig that handled like a grand piano on wheels towing a 1000 pound safe.

But it was great a slow speeds and in the woods.

smokinwrench
01-02-2005, 03:02 AM
I have owned a KLT200 and to give them the recognition of possibly being one most reliable and best suited 3weeler for hunting and deep woods camping ever made.

You are being way to generous with this machine. I think you should ride a bigred,250sx, or 225DR. Then tell me what you think of the KLT.

JordanT
01-02-2005, 03:33 AM
Thanks for posting the pic's Darius1502 I was having troble with my pic. Funny though, the green bike decked out with racks does not have the gun mount on it that im plaining to use as a cb mount on my bike. I would have liked to have up a pick of a decked out duckster witch Is all camo and and has all the full sized rack\other stuff on it. But the only pic I could find was on google under duckster and it's pretty small. Ill get pic's of mine up here as soon as im done putting it back together (2 weeks time) Ill also post up a few how two's on that bike if anyone here own's one and need info.

And ya your right it was not meant for high speed riding at all. It's more of a cross between a jon deer 5 weeler unloader and a trike. But thats what you need when camping and hunting somthing quiet and lower geared to haul stuff with. Iv not tryed a big red yet but iv been on the smaller honda models.

smokey
01-02-2005, 01:16 PM
My KLT200 is the most reliable rig I got.

atckowalski
01-02-2005, 05:33 PM
So, Is there reverse on those? I need a good plow trike but it needs to have reverse.A friend of mine has a couple of them out in his backyard ;) Maybe it is time to check them out?

jdog
01-02-2005, 05:48 PM
I have a 84 klt 200 it is a fun little bike . The best feature is the ability to lock and unlock the diff it can turn on a dime.

Trikeaholic
01-02-2005, 07:01 PM
There has never been a real duckster owner here before. That being said, welcome. I have seen some really ratted out ducksters before, but never a running one. Do you also realize that super junky is a joke? Just checking........

I also think that Kawasaki tried the "super utility" concept for thier early ATV's and Im not sure it worked out for them, although my old kawi dealership-since been sold-says he sold a boatload of KLT110's, they were something like $795 out the door or something, but if he sold a boatload, I have NEVER seen one around here, and its not a large area.

Pistonhead
01-02-2005, 07:09 PM
There are LOTS of KLT's in Manitoba. Oh yeah welcome to the board, nice to see someone who has a duckster thats not a rat ride, most people only think of the tecate when someone says kawi trike, nice to see klt's once in a while. Whereabouts in BC are you from?

83185s
01-02-2005, 07:23 PM
adding my .02 ...it looks better with the racks and camping gear!! and wtf is the gas tank doing in the back by the muffler?? thats about explosive!!! and what happens when trailprotrailpro in the deep woods camping and your battery goes dead overnight..hmm trailprotrailpro f'ed!! id rather have a 200e big red..pull and elec start..no fuel pump problems cause it dont have one so its one less thing to worry about..also it looks fugly without the tank being where its suspose to be!! the only one that looks half decent is the klt 200c..i think that was kawasakis mistake in trikes..the tecate was great but these

atczack
01-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Hey Jordan, sweet trike, keep it truckin' on three wheels.........

350x'inNY
01-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey..... NY KLT'ers....

I got a 200 motor here in the shop I trip over..... it has the kickstarter back up and looks like a manual clutch? I think it came out of a black one with the gas tank above the rear axle like Darius posted. I got the black headlight too, but might rig it up as a spot light on my Yamahauler. Not sure if Dan still has the frame carcass or not.... I know it had that goofy front suspension and the tank under the rear fenders.

$25 and come pick that motor up!

Bruce

Rex Karz
01-02-2005, 11:58 PM
If We all owned Hondas, well, still someone would like the funky dunk trikes out there. I like them just because they are funky. Long live the Ford Econoline Pickup (http://www.wingsisp.com/emboss/econo.htm)!!!

JordanT
01-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Ok im now sending a pm to Bruce offering a lot more then $25 for that motor. even though the motor on the duckster had been only used a few times and is not even worn in.......
It's still much nicer to have a motor with a kick start on it, or even just to have as a spare. I just hope I can convince him to ship it to seattle where I could pick it up. Ny is a bit of a drive from the vancover\tricity area in bc.

As to aaakowalski question sadly there is no reverse on them. Though it is lower geared and pretty heavy, so as a plow trike? It might work out if you don't mind pushing it back a bit.

A better trike for that might not even be any of what you see here. I work at a golf couse right now to pay for college they use a 3weeler called a cushman witch is like a small 3 weeled dump truck. I have a lot of respect for them and if you need any info on one ill be happy to help you out as I figure it would be your best bet for that kind of work.

cliff2302
01-03-2005, 03:01 AM
my pops has a cushman truckster (3 wheeled cart) from the 50'sish. awesome machine. it has a manual clutch and a centrifigul clutch, 3 forward gears and one reverse. definitely a conversation piece.

JordanT
01-03-2005, 02:13 PM
The one's iv seen at the golf course where made around the 60's or 70's and even had a hydrolic dumping box. The only problem was the type of tire they put on em. I remember having many scary trips to the golf course dump where soft mud and heavy junk in the box would cause it to sink and spin after stoping to unload the contents I would some times have to get off and leave it in gear while I pushed it.

But like I said before the main problem was the type of tire used on it that was for protecting the grass and leaving you stuck in mud or even watered down grass. If It had real tires on it this would not happen.

TrikeKid
01-03-2005, 09:39 PM
my KLT has a kicker it was only available on the '81 its just a couple pieces of tubing. and is meant as a backup for the electric.

trikezilla
01-03-2005, 10:23 PM
I agree with most of what everyone had to say. BUT many of the things u mentioned as pros and cons (especially pros) are things that were either done to/easy to do to nearly any trike

PlatinumDogg
01-04-2005, 08:43 PM
There are LOTS of KLT's in Manitoba. Oh yeah welcome to the board, nice to see someone who has a duckster thats not a rat ride, most people only think of the tecate when someone says kawi trike, nice to see klt's once in a while. Whereabouts in BC are you from?
Pistonhead, you from manitoba yourself?

xpto_pt
10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi!
I´m New here...
I´m from Portugal and i have a KLT200c, but i don´t know where i buy some missing parts and that huge tires, because i am the only one with a 3wheel like this in Portugal.
Later i post some pics!
Sorry my bad english...

SYKO
10-24-2008, 11:51 AM
welcome to the board!! dont worry about your english! many of us have poor english anyway!!

russell56443
10-27-2008, 03:47 AM
I loved mine but was talked into selling it to buy my R,I regret it to this day!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/russell56443/cid_4698B35E8E4911DBBEF990D33495ED0.jpg
Im still trying to buy her back!!
Oh yeah,My 81 had a back up kick start under the seat.

Gag_Halfront
10-27-2008, 11:05 AM
How can I tell which year/model my KLT200 would be? It's got a solid front. There is what looks like a kicker shaft coming out the RH side of the motor, but no actual kicker on it. It has the keyswitch inside the little door on the "tank" nacelle as opposed to on a dash on the handlebars. I don't know what the locking/unlocking diff mechanism is supposed to look like, so I don't know if I have that or not.

Are these hints enough to figure it out?

ebecme01
10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
I've had mostly Hondas and I am a big fan of them. I just aquired a KLT160 and I am amazed it was only made one year because its reallly well thought out. It has a sweet frame design with a built in hitch. It has a trunk, although not very big. The brakes stay dryer than the Hondas. It has reverse and the darn thing is powerful for such a small engine. Also the choke lever is a sweet addition. I admit it doesnt sit as nice as a 185S or 200S, but shaft drive is nice for mud and has better ground clearance. Hondas are great, but some other bikes are good too.

McDerry
10-27-2008, 02:00 PM
the 160a and 185 klt are completely different animals then the 200 and 250 klt's. The two smaller shaft driven KLT's are incredibly well thought out designs and the engine design is far superior to anything else on the market at the time.

The 200 and 250 on the other hand are big and gombi. Mind you they have plenty of power and are like tanks, but there hacked together. There too long for a utility, ungoldly heavy to the point it could be a polaris, ride horrid, while also having lavish luxuries that hamper its spartan nature of being a utility (electric start with no real backup starter for starters). Its a utility with a mnaual clutch, but not a 75:1 or deeper gear reduction in first. The dual mode differential is a joke aswell, it is a pickup truck hub, it just unlocks the wheel from the axle so the bike is one wheel drive, all it does is give you half the mobility of a open differentialed vehicle with half the traction of a live axled atv. Probally the only pro is on the suspended models the suspension design is anti-dive during braking.

in reality it was a small kawasaki motorcycle motor crammed into a poor atv chassis.

You could have bought a 83 klt200 with a manual clutch and electric start, or you could have bought a 83 ATC200 with bigger tires, pullstart, autoclutch, better suspension, shorter wheelbase and 20lbs the lighter but with a gallon less fuel capacity.

Gag_Halfront
10-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Here's your chance, Rusell

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?p=668099#post668099

atcquebec
10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
my klt250 and klt200

tecat-z
10-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Nice klt's. Nice to know there are still some nice ones out there. It's important to remember that many of the design 'flaws' or ones that could be seen as such, were there because of Hondas stranglehold on the 3wheel design. It wasn't easy to try and re-invent the wheel. Yamaha had the same issues early on.

lou
01-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Helllo ,i need help with my recent purchase wich i think is a 1983 klt 200a.it's in hurtin conditoion.it's missing a carb and the wiring is messed up,so i need to find a wiring harness and a carb also what is the difference between the 200 a and 200 b.thank you in advance to anyone who can help

mike84bigred
01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
My KLT 160 was great. I whopped that things trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro, and it always ran good! KLT's are good quality machines!!!

randall_pitz
01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
i wish i had a Duckster that would bee so sweet i have a klt 250 but its trashed

big yeller
01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
hahaha this is a good thread...i been trying to talk out a old man of his klt, dont remember what kind it is it has been in his shed since the early 90's and hadnt seen it in a while. the only time i seen it was when he drove it in the yard to pull a small trailer, thats the only time he used it. the klt design is pretty darn ugly though. i just want it cause you hardly see a kawasaki trike. what is a duckster by the way...i can tell its camo. can any one post a pic please.

zagames
01-29-2010, 01:48 AM
My '83 klt 200 duckster actually isn't Camo. It's practically identical to my '82 klt 200 A2. The duckster is the middle trike in this picture: http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs144.snc1/5328_131297431243_579821243_2992596_3183118_n.jpg I love KLT 200's for the sheer power. They can easily pull a truck around the field. I keep them around simply as workhorses. That, and they were MY first 3-wheelers.

Cadaver Dog
02-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I love KLT 200's for the sheer power. They can easily pull a truck around the field. I keep them around simply as workhorses. That, and they were MY first 3-wheelers.[/QUOTE]

It was mine too, and if you would have asked me before reading this thread I would have been like "it sucked!!" and I still feel that way to a degree but looking at some of these pics made me a little nostalgic. I think the manual clutch thing was kinda dumb for a utility trike and I could have lived without the differential but I did have plenty of fun on it. I had the one with the back up kick start and I used to leave the kick starter on all the time because I thought it was cooler, like sporty almost, with a kick starter. I imagine finding spare parts in an exercise in futility or maybe they had a following as A utility machine?

Frankencelery
02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I've been a latecomer to trikes. I bought my first three trikes together at a garage sale for $200. One was a KLT200C, which the guy said only needed a fuel pump or something. Can't remember exactly, but it was trashed and I never did get it running. I ended up buying a second one for parts, but I fixed it instead and rode it for a very short while. What an odd machine that was! Rode like a brick. Utility, but with a manual shift, which I never understood. Despite its long list of shortcomings, I might have fixed it up, but I could never find any engine parts for it, and when it quit running due to no compression, I gave up on it and parted it out.

The KLT110 was and is another story. That was also in the pile of junk I bought that day. It ran but the gears were jammed. I ended up buying a whole engine for it, and paid only $100. That machine continues to be one of my most reliable. When it's 10 degrees out and I can't even pull the starter on the ATC200s, the 200x won't even fire, the little 110 starts on the first pull, and it' super fun to ride.

TWoulfe
02-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I've got an 82 KLT 200 and I love it. I'm redoing it right now and putting all new head gasket, seals, valve guides, head bolts, and rings in it. I just threw a set of 20 x 11 x 8 holeshots on it, a motion pro twist throttle to replace the motor cycle twist it had, and a new set of tag bars on it. I'm also gitting the seat recovered. It could use plastic but only because its been spray painted a couple times. It also has the front suspension off of a klt 250, kind of nice to have. I think it handles pretty good overall, plenty of power, and as for the looks, well its original to say the least

daniel_250r
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
i have seen one in person and boy they are fugly. don't think they could out beat my 84 big red

CRAZY70MAN
02-05-2010, 10:49 PM
my klt160 takes a little while to warm up but what a fine piece of handling and a great feel to a trike it is. Great rider, almost sold it!!! Got some real nut and will eat my 200es sad to say in the trails and all around. Love the easy reverse and the monster front triple tree! Prolly would shove some snow if you put a plow on it though???? Great great trail bike.....that thing skates across mud I swear!!!!

eyecekold1
02-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Here is a cool video of a KLT at a tractor pull. My dad had klt's growing up and they lasted forever and he was mean to them. He got that old klt250 in a lot of places that the other guys on Honda's couldn't get. Probably rider ability but that bike was a stinkin tank, I loved it. In my opinion the KLT 110 absolutely kills the Honda 110 and I have a lot of seat time on both. Only bad thing is the dang shift shaft on the KLT was weak. Motor, power, and ride comfort wise the KLT110 all the way. Let me just say I like Honda but I have to stick up for the little guy on this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIjrrjPyixk

newklt200owner
03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Hello, I am new to the site and a new owner of a Kawasaki KLT 200 Duckster, that's not running. My brother gave me this three wheeler when it quit running for him. First of all, can anyone tell me where to look for the serial number, I do not know what year this bike is. This bike has spark, and will start on starting fluid, but will not stay running. I have put new fuel in but have only used carb cleaner whithout taking the carb off. Any sugestions would be apprecitated. Thank you

MonroeMike
03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
The VIN is on the steering neck.

Start a thread of your own, introduce yourself and post some pics.

Cumberland BR
03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know where one can find owner manuals or any other information about the KLTs? I have a 250 I’m trying to get up and running.

Thanks

MonroeMike
03-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Sent you what info I have.

wuzzup
03-29-2010, 12:05 AM
I have riden a lot of honda 3 and 4 wheelers and i say they make a dam fine rig but i now have a klt 200c and if i may say so it blows a lot of wheelers out of the water for just dubbin around in the woods or trail.you may not agree but i love it.

3wheelmecca
03-29-2010, 12:18 AM
i remember my KLT, that thing could probably pull a pickup truck in gear up a hill. I wouldve kept it, but the pump was going out and wiring was falling apart. I have the original front fender still.

squirrel1182
03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
i just bought a 83 klt 200c and its a tank runs great but the plastics are faded to pink!:lol:

jb2wheels
03-29-2010, 09:59 PM
The first 3 wheeler I ever rode was a KLT200. We rented one and an ATC 200 at Pismo beach in the early 90s. I remember thinking the manual clutch and electric start were much more serious and less toy like than the pull start and auto clutch. They were both a lot of fun to a 13 year old kid, though...

raymondo11
04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I just got a KLT 200 given to me. The key switch was taken out and directly wired. It was supposedly running a couple of years ago, but I am not entirely sure that it is wired correctly. I can't get any spark and am working on diagnosing the ignitor. I got the coil verified as working. I am wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram that they can email to me or post? I have been looking everywhere, and the Kawi website doesn't show the connections or colors. Can someone please help me out?

haggard 2hundie
04-28-2010, 07:29 PM
my first trike was a klt 200 i think 83 that thing was great on camping trips, i really miss that trike and wish i never got rid of it however when i sold it i used the money toward my 93 cr 125 and didnt miss it as much after riding that bike it was hella fast for a 125 but still miss the klt

350xRules
04-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Just a quick question, how rare was the speedometer option on the klt250?

kltmojave
04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Here you go. I hope this will help.

Jason

Naz
05-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Hello,

I have a 84 KLT 200c... how do you check and lube the rear diff? I have the owners manuel and it says "The differential is not designed for operator service" But this after 26 years I bet it needs some attention.. Its a hell of a lot harder to push in neutral then is my 82' Honda 185s ATC. Also It squeaks a bit when i roll her backwards...

I slid the diff cover to the side and it inside was dry. Does it normal have gear oil?

thanks for the help,

Naz

MonroeMike
05-12-2010, 11:31 PM
It's supposed to be checked every 10 days or 100 miles of operation.

Changed once a year.

It takes 2 ozs. of 90 weight gear oil.

Naz
05-12-2010, 11:57 PM
It's supposed to be checked every 10 days or 100 miles of operation.

Changed once a year.

It takes 2 ozs. of 90 weight gear oil.

Is the black casement a dust cover for the diff? Inside there is a bolt. Is that where the gear oil is added? or do I just slide the cover to the right and then add the old in there, making sure to coat the moving pieces inside??

Thanks,

Naz

MonroeMike
05-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Check your PM's for the service data.

bbford429
09-28-2010, 09:50 PM
You wouldn't still happen to have any of that info still,would you?

oogfa
07-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Hello I have an 84 KLT 200c that i just bought but it stopped sparking,as well as the starter solenoid going out, the starter will crank if i bypass the posts on the solenoid. Is there anything that someone would recommended to check to try and spark back. I also have a few questions. Does anyone know if the points system from the older klt 200s will fit on the 84 with a cdi? I appreciate points a whole hell of a lot more than i do electronic ignition. Also would the broken solenoid have anything to do with the loss of spark?

Baird
10-18-2011, 08:03 PM
ok im getting one of these for free from my buddy. and a yamaha moto 4 but back to the klt. its been siting outside for years .it all looks good but what should i look out for? and yes i already kno i gotta clean the carb and change the oil. so what should i do?

Rjfabwerx
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I got a KLT 200a4a Duckster Sunday from dad's neighbor...FREEBIE! It's in good shape but I haven't snapped any pics. yet but I will soon! All camo'd...Haven't been on the site for awhile but I did a google search for the Duckster and found plenty of talk about them on here...The guy asked if I wanted it because he knew I was into trikes and I asked how much...He said to take it because in the spring him and his wife were getting new atv's and this was taking up room...I said no problem and loaded it up...After a $37 battery, runs like a charm!
Rj

one2hunt
10-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Lucky Dog!

Rjfabwerx
10-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I put a $37 battery in it and unkinked the line from the fuel pump to the carb, pushed the button and it fired up AND sat there and idled! Took it for the first ride tonight and it runs great! The FIRST trike I have ever owned that I didn't have to clean or adjust the carb on when I got it to make it run!!! :D

350xx
10-20-2011, 10:19 PM
My '83 klt 200 duckster actually isn't Camo. It's practically identical to my '82 klt 200 A2. The duckster is the middle trike in this picture: http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs144.snc1/5328_131297431243_579821243_2992596_3183118_n.jpg I love KLT 200's for the sheer power. They can easily pull a truck around the field. I keep them around simply as workhorses. That, and they were MY first 3-wheelers.

"Sheer power"
Hahaha. that cracks me up.
By the way, very nice trikes you got there!

kormos_93
04-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Just wondering what spark plug you use in your KLT 200. I just picked one up & it had no plug when I got it, not sure on the year. The parts stores say it requires an NKG B7ES or BR7ES. I picked up the Br7es because that's all they had but it is way too small (just pushes into the head. I can see the threads on the trike are in good shape & not stripped, just that the plug is too small). So what plug do I need? I can post pictures if necessary.

rg97
04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Just wondering what spark plug you use in your KLT 200. I just picked one up & it had no plug when I got it, not sure on the year. The parts stores say it requires an NKG B7ES or BR7ES. I picked up the Br7es because that's all they had but it is way too small (just pushes into the head. I can see the threads on the trike are in good shape & not stripped, just that the plug is too small). So what plug do I need? I can post pictures if necessary.
I'd ask for pics. the NGK plugs you listed are common for ATVs. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt fit. Does your 200 have an aftermarket head? thats the only thing I can think of... my 2 cents

rg97
04-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Dont go for the B8es, br8es, or the 9 series either... the numbers just signify a hotter or colder running temp. and the 'r' means it has a resistor

kormos_93
04-03-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm beginning to think someone swapped the motor. Where is the engine size stamped on these trikes? I will post pics asap

rg97
04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
this may be able to help... on my X the engine size was stamped into the lower back of the cylinder, right below the cooling fins. on my banshee, its right on the side of the jugs, it says 347cc (which isnt exactly true anymore :twisted:) I'm not a kawi guy, but thats the best info I got...

kormos_93
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM

kormos_93
04-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I'd ask for pics. the NGK plugs you listed are common for ATVs. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt fit. Does your 200 have an aftermarket head? thats the only thing I can think of... my 2 cents

I don't think it would have an aftermarket head or any other sort of performance parts. It was just used for work on a farm, & most farmers in the area can barely afford to just put gas in.

90guy
04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Dont go for the B8es, br8es, or the 9 series either... the numbers just signify a hotter or colder running temp. and the 'r' means it has a resistor
He could run a 8 series or a 9 series without worry they are a colder plug but would have more problems fouling plugs. The resistor is for the electromagnetic inference that could screw with some on board computers tv's and such. It dosen't hurt to run either or in these old bikes. As for your bike it could be a possibility that someone blew the old plug out of its threads and had to drill and put in a set of threads. Not certain what these cylinders exactly look like. My 2 cents.

rg97
04-03-2013, 06:21 PM
He could run a 8 series or a 9 series without worry they are a colder plug but would have more problems fouling plugs. The resistor is for the electromagnetic inference that could screw with some on board computers tv's and such. It dosen't hurt to run either or in these old bikes. As for your bike it could be a possibility that someone blew the old plug out of its threads and had to drill and put in a set of threads. Not certain what these cylinders exactly look like. My 2 cents.

When i said: "dont go for," i meant (and should have said) "dont bother buying them just to try and see if they fit."
X2 that maybe someone re-drilled the holes, just never posted it, but read kormos posts in his other thread... its not that the plug is too small in diameter, its too short and the threads dont reach

90guy
04-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Looks like its been drilled and a replacement has been put in by what I have been looking at.

kormos_93
04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
The Diameter of the B7ES is correct (14mm I believe). When I remove the crush washer, the plug screws in, but just barely. So it's just too short...if the hole was re-threaded, the head still remained the same thickness, so I don't think it has been re-threaded if the recommended plug is the right diameter & thread. But it's confusing why it would be at least 1/3 inch too short.

barnett468
04-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Hello

The original Duckster was a stocker that was hand painted by a Japanese graphics engineer about 50' from my desk when I worked at Kawi. I think the original idea was to make a camo one for the armed services. I think the hunting concept was either another consideration or just came about after it was done. We also made police versions and sold some to the Beach police, lol.

You can ride them in 1 1/2' deep water/streams all day long for a week without missing a beat. I know I had to do it in the middle of winter, lol.

Bungle
04-05-2013, 02:30 AM
I picked this klt up about a week ago with no spark. I got it running with a Suzuki gs125
Cdi and it runs spot on. If Any one else has spark problems pm me and I will talk you through how to fit the gs cdi. A kawasaki cdi is about £120 a Suzuki cdi is about £10 and it works fine
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/bungle280/442488D6-C110-4087-ABD9-CF21FEDA8EE6-5281-000006F2D0CF202A.jpg

yamaha225dr
04-05-2013, 04:03 AM
There is a KLT 200 on my local Craigslist for $200 but the ad doesn't have any pics. I might text the owner tomorrow for some and if it looks decent I may pick it up. There is also a decent looking 83 185s Honda that has been getting reposted for a few weeks and the seller is only asking for trades but doesn't mention anything specific, I have a bunch of electronics that I am gonna offer to see if he bites. :lol

barnett468
04-05-2013, 05:25 AM
I picked this klt up about a week ago with no spark. I got it running with a Suzuki gs125
Cdi and it runs spot on. If Any one else has spark problems pm me and I will talk you through how to fit the gs cdi. A kawasaki cdi is about £120 a Suzuki cdi is about £10 and it works fine
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/bungle280/442488D6-C110-4087-ABD9-CF21FEDA8EE6-5281-000006F2D0CF202A.jpg

Hello

That is a very nice klt, major score. Just curious do you mind saying what you paid for that. Is that a factory speedo? They are very rare. Please take the time to make a detailed post of how to do the wiring conversion if you don't mind. You can also post photos if you like. How did you determine the orig cdi was bad?

Thanks for the info and photo.

dabody69
01-20-2015, 01:03 AM
I owned one the the very first KLT200's, I was at our local Kawasaki dealer in Joliet, IL when they wheeled it into the showroom, my dad said I could have that or the Honda, I loved Honda but it was only a 185cc, I was 14 years old, of course my thinking was more CC's more fun! I loved the electric start and that rear diff option, me and my friends enjoyed that thing to death! In 1980 that thing was like a ferrari compared to the honda, there were only ballon tire atc's that year so anyone that was there in those days would know how cutting edge is was for 1980, obviously things changed quickly on both sides, honda and Kawasaki, but I loved that thing for what it was and it was damn fast going down the middle of my street in our subdivision also, ask any local cops..LOL