PDA

View Full Version : putting two wheels on the front of my big red

01-15-2003, 01:06 AM
I don't know what kind of back lash i'm going to get from this question, but i got to ask. What would I have to do to convert my big red to a four wheeler? I only ask because I have moved and some of the places in my new area don't allow three wheelers.

jasenr
01-15-2003, 01:14 AM
Man you have had it now! These guys are gonna rip you up! ;) Why don't you just sell the Red and get a quad? Reds are worth quite a bit it seems. It would probably cost you more to convert than it would to sell and add some cash to get a quad.

01-15-2003, 01:21 AM
Yet, I have read a lot of the stuff on the message board, and have a good feeling for the types of answers I will get. I think I am going to have to get rid of my big red and do the whole four wheeler thing, but that is going to kill me because i have really liked my three wheeler. I just thought i would ask before making the leap. besides, i like projects and am kind of in-between right now.

robgill2002
01-15-2003, 01:58 AM
Hi,
Don't give in. Stay with the trike. Be an individual. Think about it, they don't make 3 wheelers anymore and you can buy a four wheeler any day of the week. Personally, I am a Yamaha man but I have ridden with some BIG REDs and they rock!

jasenr
01-15-2003, 11:09 AM
I have read several posts on the same issue as well. It always seems to be that it is more trouble and costly to convert than it is to sell/buy. Even if you did convert it to four wheels, you are going to have to do some frame work. I am no expert, but it seems that you would have to cut the Red frame and weld on the front from a quad. Even then, I don't really see how it could be done without a sizeable amount of money, time and effort. I still think the best course is to sell the Red (I wish I was nearby) ;) and get a quad. Depending on the condition of your Red, you should be able to get a quad for only a few hundred more. (Depends on what you want, I suppose) I got my Polaris for $1500 in great shape in AR. I am in Dallas, so that price was a great deal by my standards. Up North it seems these things (3&4) are cheaper. I have seen Reds go for $800 - $1200. FWIW. Good Luck!

OldSchoolin86
01-15-2003, 12:00 PM
I'd say don't give in either but I think you said you just flat out couldn't get in at places because your missing a wheel. Convertions always cost more than selling and just buying a quad. Here's how I look at it, if you really belive your 3 wheeler is a good thing but it's just not going to work out for you wouldn't you rather have someone else have it instead of chopping it up? Dollar wise it makes total sence. Start adding up everything you'll need, I mean everylast part and take a look at it. Next think about how perfect everything has to be to make this work right. Even if you did everthing yourself it still wouldn't be worth it.

TimSr
01-15-2003, 01:13 PM
A lot of the old Honda 3 wheelers had a 4 wheeled counterpart, where you can get your preferred trike in a quad version anyways. The TRX250 was a 4 wheeled 250sx, the TRX200SX is a 200s quad. If you like a 200x, youll be happy with the 250x quad, "though different, has very simlar feel and powerband. Even the ATC70 has a TRX. An of course the 250R's. Now if only Yamaha had made the Quad-Z........!

Dirtcrasher
01-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Don't allow three wheelers?? Who on earth has the right to tell you whether or not a 3whl vehicle can be ridden??

OldSchoolin86
01-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Anybody has the right but some insurance companies just won't touch them.

Tweeked
01-15-2003, 02:57 PM
Hey,
I was concidering what you were doing too. I have an 84' Big Red, I just got in Mon. It was given to me from my dads friend. Around here you can ride what you want, I also have her insured :), only 75 a yr. not bad. I'll put her to good use around here.

-Mike

mtbikr
01-17-2003, 12:01 PM
How about keeping it and patiently saving for a quad?

Tweeked
01-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Thats exactly what I am doing, I'm fixing her up and then later selling her and buying a quad :-D .