PDA

View Full Version : Broke head off small bolt...any suggestions on getting the rest of it out??

patblkwell
12-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, well I accidentally broke off the head of the bolt which holds down my gas tank on my bigred. It's fairly small, 6X16 mm I think, with the body of the bolt still in the frame. I was thinking about drilling it out with a small drill bit. Any other suggestions/advice? -thanks appreciate it

MTS
12-29-2004, 08:52 PM
you can use an Easy-out, or just drill it and re-tap the hole

patblkwell
12-29-2004, 09:00 PM
How exacly does the Easy-out work? I've heard of it, just never used it before..

RideRed250R
12-29-2004, 09:02 PM
well i have tried this if its not down in there TO FREAKIN HARD. all u need to do is drill down alittle apply pressure flip the sucker in reverse and see wat happens, also u can screw in a screw LOL with some super glue on it let it sit for a while and then back the screw and bolt out
adam

MTS
12-29-2004, 09:05 PM
the easy out, you drill a small hole in the middle of the bolt, slighlty smaller than the dia of the easy out, tap the easy out in, and then turn it out...takes some patience sometimes to get it to catch properly

03 ORANGE SHEE
12-29-2004, 09:22 PM
heat the area around where the bolt goes in, not the bolt itself, try a propane torch

Quickonstep
12-29-2004, 09:31 PM
well i have tried this if its not down in there TO FREAKIN HARD. all u need to do is drill down alittle apply pressure flip the sucker in reverse and see wat happens, also u can screw in a screw LOL with some super glue on it let it sit for a while and then back the screw and bolt out
adam

are you for real?

bro, get yourself some ezouts, drill a small hole, tap it in, remove screw, done deal

Jesse

ClayW
12-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Pat, How did it break off. Over tightening it? Or Taking it out. If you over tightened it, it should come out pretty easy as long as it didnt bottom out on anything. Im thinking it didnt. Take a small punch or chisel, and tap on the outer edge of the bolt. Try to make the bolt turn with the force applied from the punch. Once you have a little groove in the top of the bolt on the outer edge, it should be pretty easy to get out. Dad showed me how to do this. Thanks dad! I used that method about 5 times on my 350X. I also used this method to get the drain plug bolt out of the differential. Works like a charm. Once it starts to move, it will back on out. Get you a little spot dished out and start working on it. If you dont have a punch or chisel, find a small screwdriver to do it with. Will prob be ruined when you get done. I use the drill and easy out as a last resort. I dont like retapping threads.

83185s
12-29-2004, 09:51 PM
yea..is the bolt a little out of the hole..i know u said u broke the head off but can u get it with vise grips? if not get the ez-outs

BLAZERONE22
12-29-2004, 10:56 PM
This will not work in you application, but these suckers work stellar. They work on removeing studs and rounded nuts and bolts. 40 bucks at sears. If you use a easy out make sure you take your time and punch the hole dead center. Good luck.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1823_116876899

rustbucket
12-30-2004, 12:38 AM
if it is sticking out of the hole alittle bit 1/16-or more put a washer on it then a nut and weld the nut to the bolt grab a wrench and twist it out and if the nut comes of just grab it with the vise grips. also i have seen stud that stick out quite a bit heated up real hot then jam a candle on them and let it suck the wax in and they twist right out

Bill X_R
12-30-2004, 12:54 AM
then jam a candle on them and let it suck the wax in and they twist right out

LMFAO!!!!! A Candle....did you really say a candle!!!!!!

That I gota see!!!!

Mick04
12-30-2004, 01:17 AM
I think what he's trying to say is that the candle wax will get sucked into the threads and act like a lubricant!

MTS
12-30-2004, 01:17 AM
oh yes weld the nut wile the gas-tank is on the bike real smart.

83185s
12-30-2004, 01:21 AM
if he broke the head off the bolt..the tank will lift off over the bolt....haha mts..lol

MTS
12-30-2004, 01:38 AM
oh crap, i just thought of that....lol....still some people dont think befor they act,,dont want to see a good wheeler get blown up LOL

Bill X_R
12-30-2004, 01:10 PM
I think what he's trying to say is that the candle wax will get sucked into the threads and act like a lubricant!

OIC, My bad!

patblkwell
12-30-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, I got the bolt out with no problem whatsoever. Thanks for the suggestion Clay. I first soaked the whole area with of the bolt and all with WD40 and then it came right out with a little tapping of a hammer and small screw driver. Put a fresh stainless bolt in it's place...no problems now.

ClayW
12-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Works like a charm! :D Good deal. :beer