PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250r Case Saver Question ...help

TrikeMike
12-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I just bought another 86 250r and need some help with the case saver mount. I know with my luck that if I ride it without a case saver the chain will jump and I'll ruin the left case. Here's the issue.
The bottom case saver mount has threads, however the upper mount does not. The mount is all there, however the inside of the mount is smooth without threads. Can I just tap into this or is there another way. I am afraid that by tapping I might crack the mount. Can anyone give me advice on how to go about doing this?
Thanks!!!

Mr. Sandman
12-29-2004, 06:08 PM
There's no good way to go about doing it without it possibly cracking but here are a couple of suggestions you might try before drilling and tapping it. I've used all 3 methods with good success on other problems similiar to yours (not on my bike though).

1. Use a screw with a sheet metal type thread.
2. Squirt some Loctite in the hole, then stick a thin strip of soft solder in the hole and then screw the screw in with Loctite applied to the threads.
3. Fill the hole with JB Weld and then drill and tap the JB Weld.

OldSchoolin86
12-29-2004, 06:18 PM
You can tap it, I had the same problem once. Those holes are tougher then you think. If you know how to tap and take your time it will be okay.

nate b
12-29-2004, 07:50 PM
I think that takes a really long bolt?

OldSchoolin86
12-29-2004, 07:53 PM
LOL, opps I think your right.

RideRed250R
12-29-2004, 07:58 PM
theres stuff better then JB weld its made to be used as a filler and be drilled and tapped so is jb but this stuffs super good its called MAGNUM STEEL (sounds like something out of ZOOLANDER LOL) but this stuff when it hards it is like a a rock it takes it about 20 minutes to fully cure and then its DONE no mixing needed either its like playdoo and u need it alittle then pack it in there and then u can use a small bolt of u want. i used this on my right side case on my one R cause the previous owner threw the chain didnt know it and it full throttle for like 2 minutes and jsut killed it, it also can be sanded flush and look like its not even there!
adam

TrikeMike
12-29-2004, 08:05 PM

That would really be COOL! You wouldn't happen to know what size so that I can try it?

deathman53
12-29-2004, 08:42 PM
its 6mm x 100mm

TrikeMike
12-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll be heading down to the cycle shop tomorrow to get the bolts. Can't wait to RIDE!

Red Rider
12-30-2004, 09:50 PM
It isn't just a long bolt. It's one of the bolts that hold the center cases together. Shame on you Mr. Sandman for not catching that one! :)
Good job Nate B. :w00t: