PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Brake Questions

BigGreenMachine
12-28-2004, 11:55 PM
I have no rear brakes at the moment which I quickly realized will just not do. I do have a good front brake which for the moment serves the purpose but barely. I'm looking at switching my front caliper to the rear for the time being and buying a used front from an 86 to replace the front or put on the rear. My bike being an 85, I was wondering will 86 calipers bolt on? And is the stock front caliper able to be bolted onto the rear? Will an 86 caliper bolt on front and rear of my 85?

Thanks.

MassTrike
12-29-2004, 12:01 AM
as a matter of fact i ran into the exact same problem you have, i ended up using an 86 kdx 200 rear master and a custom dual piston ktm caliper, ill send ya some pics soon. they work killer too

BigGreenMachine
12-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Dual piston? lol I bet it locks up pretty good. Pics man.

Anyone have input on swapping calipers?

NICKG
12-29-2004, 11:41 PM
why are you reinventing the wheel? just look on ebal for a used set. you will find they work very well and should be cheap. the tecate uses the same basic caliper as a mojave rear, or kx front. if you have to have a different one, buy a cannondale master front and rear...they are on ebay sold by fixturefan for cheap $

BigGreenMachine
12-30-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel at all, I just want to know if 86/87 Calipers fit the 84/85 Tecate and if its possible to use a front caliper on the rear. Besides that Cannondale tip was learnt somewhere, maybe you tried to reinvent the wheel at one point. I'll look into it though, does he sell just a caliper or the master cylinder and caliper? Thanks Nick, your one of the best guys on here for T3 knowledge.

NICKG
12-30-2004, 02:01 PM
the cannondale masters work very well on all older machines,,,,they are real modern designed units. i use them on my machines, just make sure you get the atv one if you have an atv (they hydraulic volumes are different) heck they are like 25 ! can't go wrong there and they come with the lever or resivoir!

BigGreenMachine
12-30-2004, 03:37 PM
yeah i found it a while ago, sweet and maybe buy a kx front caliper, found a kx 500 piece for cheap. no money but paycheck the comes soon enuff.