PDA

View Full Version : H/D fuel injection on trike/bike?

atczack
12-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Hey yall,

I was reading the thread that a-camp started about the dial-a-jet and it got me to thinking...Do any of you ever remember reading in Motocross Action Magazine or maybe Dirtbike or Dirtwheels Magazine an article they did about taking a Harley Davidson Carb part and drilling a dirtbike carb to fit the H/D part into the dirtbike carb to make it like fuel injection? I know it sound's crazy, but I remember the article said you no longer needed to change jet's for different altitude's or track conditions, weather conditions, etc...I remember they said the part was like $75.00 from H/D and you could install it on any dirtbike, quad, or trike if you didn't mind drilling your carb. If I remember right, the only part you really drilled was the nut on the bottom of the bowl, and the part went through the nut or something. If any of you have any old bike mags it should probably be in one of the '90 or '91 mags. I know that's not a lot to go on, but I know a lot of you guy's get snowed in up north and this could keep you from getting cabin fever and just may save your life!! :D Sorry about the long post but I was hoping somebody would remember. It might be what this dial-a-jet thingy is based off of.
Thank's,
atczack

a-camp
12-28-2004, 09:40 PM
I think a real fuel injection system need a fuel pump to maintain pressure . They started on the Sea Doos my last year of wrenching.I hated all the tubes and vaulves. But never had a problem with one . Ran good not better,just was 38% less emissions. Did not want to piss off Jimmy Buffet and the mantities.(he dont like skis)

atczack
12-28-2004, 09:54 PM
I don't remember if the mag article claimed it was Fuel Injection or 'like' Fuel Injection. Oh, and I'm sorry if I mislead anybody, I said look in the '90 or '91 mags, I meant probably '96 or '97ish, sorry for the mess up.

Vealmonkey
12-29-2004, 12:51 AM
It almost sound like the Thunderjet, made by zippers performance products. I think it's www.zippersperformance.com

Quickonstep
12-29-2004, 01:13 AM
its the same thing.. same idea anyways.. if i were to go efi on a trike, it would be using a standard carb, with the jet orifaces jbwelded shut, pretty much just the slide working, with an injector on the backside of the slide, with a TPS, and a megasquirt controller and a 25-30 psi fuel pump. would make it throttle body fuel injection, not direct fuel injection as most people commonly see fuel injection as.

Jesse

a-camp
12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
So do you ran that junk on your bikes to get your 11k or a 44mm carb.Like a full time primer kit with no computer ?

RideRed250R
12-29-2004, 01:56 AM
to much work on something that will be a head ache, i say u just jet it correctly thats good enough. ustart with fuel injection and u will be sad u screwed up a good carb.
adam