PDA

View Full Version : 82 honda 185s

bambam203
12-28-2004, 12:51 AM
We just purchased a 82 honda 185s with a new carb, new rings, new brakes and it ran fine.....It was idleing a little fast but it ran....now it won't start. I replaced the plug...checked out everything....sprayed carb cleaner and put new gas in...it has spark but won't run...Any suggestions????

TrikerR
12-28-2004, 01:37 AM
checked its getting fuel

bambam203
12-28-2004, 01:49 AM
yes....it is getting fuel fine....can't believe it ran just two days ago and now nothing.....

TrikerR
12-28-2004, 02:06 AM
it just dosent make sense...how did you check for fuel

bambam203
12-28-2004, 02:14 AM
it is getting fuel fine......you can hear it starting to turn over.....I even put a little on the plug to make sure it was getting enough....

TrikerR
12-28-2004, 02:19 AM
have you checked compression.

bambam203
12-28-2004, 02:22 AM
yes....I am thinking it could be something with the carb>>>any suggestions..

Quickonstep
12-28-2004, 02:58 AM
stop for a second.. your not quite sure what your doing... 1. is there enough gas in the tank? 2. is the fuel on or off? make sure it is on and not on res.. 3. pull the plug, clean it, put it back in, try to start it.. pull the plug back out, see if it is wet.. if it is wet, 99% sure its electrical, if its not, 99% sure its fuel.. .. if its not wet, pull the carb boot off, and put your hand over the carb and turn it over a few times.. if your hand is wet, then your getting fuel, if your hand is dry, rebuild your carb. If it is wet check to see if your getting spark (should do that if the plug is dry also) . Do a compression test, post results on 3ww

Jesse

bambam203
12-28-2004, 05:41 PM
yes there is enough gas in the tank...we just changed the gas and filled it up. When we bought it ...the carb was overflowing and the gas tank was on. So I removed the carb ....cleaned it and adjusted the float a little..then we ran it about a hour or so and the next day we went out and it won't start....Should the idle jet be screwed all the way in or is it adjustable????? If so ..how many turns???? The fuel is on .....and we bought a new spark plug....put a new fuel filter on....just in case.....getting good fuel on the fuel line to the carb....It won't backfire or nothing but it does have a little spark.....We pushed it a little and put it in gear and it would not start... Could it be something with the float?????

Mick04
12-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Check and make sure that your valves are set correctly. I just went through this same problem and I needed to adjust the valves again.

bambam203
12-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Ok....tomorrow we are going to have pretty much the whole day to work on the 185s. I will check the valves and I want to check the float again.....I think maybe it needs adjusting. The guy we bought it off of really took care of it. And kept it really clean. However the float was sticking and it leaked gas. So I adjusted it and maybe it is not getting enough fuel now. We got hit with about 12 inches of snow last week so we are waiting for some of that to melt.
I was just trying to get some tips before I started working on it again. I appreciate all the help...I will post results.......

bambam203
12-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Now We Have No Spark.....it Is Getting Fuel Fine...any Suggestions...

83185s
12-29-2004, 04:44 PM
inew plug in it right?...check to make sure your spark plug wire is all the way in your coil and all your wires are connected right

MTS
12-29-2004, 04:49 PM
break out the ohms meter, start tracing from the plug back to find your problem, disconect it from the bike tho :)

RideRed250R
12-29-2004, 04:49 PM
it could be the coil? yah if it has new topend u might also want to check the timing
adam

bambam203
12-29-2004, 04:51 PM
YES....IT IS IN THERE RIGHT......TRYING ANOTHER SPARK PLUG RIGHT NOWJUST TO MAKE SURE.....I PUT A VOLT METER ON IT AND IT IS GETTING SOME VOLTS WHEN i CRANK IT OVER........ALL THE WIRES ARE CONNECTED RIGHT...

bambam203
12-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Just Started For A Min And Then Died.....tried The New Plug......

bambam203
12-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Took The New Plug Back Out And It Is Pretty Dirty Now.....

VABCH350X
12-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I've seen engines run for a few minutes, then crap out just like you're describing. It turned out to be the valve adjustment, they were too tight. I would adjust them per Honda's specifications, and make another pass over your carb, since you were in it. Make sure your float is set up correctly, and the needle is releasing fully to allow fuel to enter the bowl. If you can, drop the bowl off the carb, turn the gas on, and manually lower and lift the float to verify that it functions properly. Also, adjust the fuel / air screw to specs (probably about 1 1/4 turns out).
-Paul

bambam203
12-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Just Got It Started Again And Got The Idle Fixed.......the Screw Flew Out Of The Front Of The Muffler Though.....so I Shut It Off And Tring To Get It Back On......

bambam203
12-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Put It Back On And It Just Flew Out Again.....did Get To Ride It About A Hour...died A Couple Times But Started Back Up......it Is Still Idleing Fast Though

MTS
12-29-2004, 07:11 PM
if it is idleing fast, on the left side of the carb(sitting on the bike) there is a screw with a spring, its the only screw on that side of the carb, take and turn it out some, like half turns, untill you get the desierd idle speed :)

bambam203
12-29-2004, 08:54 PM
we did that......then it starting running good and sounding good.... but it starts idleing fast all of sudden....

MTS
12-29-2004, 08:57 PM
hmm..i think you still have crap in your carb, if not try adjusting the valves, hear is a trusty guide to adjust them :) http://www.3wheeler.org/dirtwheels/6-87~tuneupindex.html

ATCnut
12-29-2004, 11:10 PM
For whatever reason, the Honda 4-stroke trikes are picky about there plug. Many times I have one of my trikes that was running stop, and I can fight with it all I want. Then I put in a brand new plug, and it runs great again. Cannot use a old cleaned plug, but a new one.

bambam203
12-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Thanks alot for all your help guys.......I really appreciate it.. I really wanted to help my husband get this thing started. He works alot so I figured I would help him out, which I did....Bet you all didn't know I was female.....:) Thanks again......

83185s
12-30-2004, 01:30 AM
the only plugs mine will run good with are autolight, ngk and champion powersport plugs..the rest of them crap out quick..if you need to adjust your valves its .003 with a valve meter thingy..i forgot what there called :)

bambam203
01-01-2005, 03:10 PM
ok.....we came out today and the trike will not start again.....Wants to fire up but it smells like it is flooding out.....changed the plug....and when you give it gas it just spits and sputters and stalls......Any suggestions.....

crackshot
01-01-2005, 03:29 PM
I hate to say it, but tear carb down again and check pilot jet and check main jet needle in height. check cable adjuster nut at top of carb also. that might be adjusted out too much for the high idle.
Was the carb rebuilt with the jets actually changed?

bambam203
01-01-2005, 03:30 PM
it was a brand new carb...

bambam203
01-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Should we change the plug again? We have a new champion plug in there but I heard bad things about them! Also how do you adjust the main jet needle...

Mick04
01-01-2005, 04:37 PM
I am having the same problem with my 185s. Since you also have put on a different carb I thgink that we can rule out the problem as fuel related. I am heading outside as we speak to work on mine again. I am leaning towards a secondary coil on mine. What color of spark do you have with a new plug installed? Ohm out the Pulse generator coil, stator coil (the elec. plug coming out of the flywheel housing/black wire) and your spark plug wire to the black and yellow wire on the coil and post the results and we can go from there. I hope this makes sense!

bambam203
01-01-2005, 10:11 PM
We did get it running for about 10 mins again and it started idleing real fast again even after it was adjusted down......Went down the road...and it died and we could not get it started ...even when we coasted down the hill I put it in gear and it turned over but would not go even giving it gas....it died and I couldn't get it started since...Any suggestions...

MTS
01-01-2005, 10:15 PM
have you checked for an intake leak? when you get it started spray either around the carb to head boot base gasket area, head gasket area ....you say it was rebuilt? my guess is that there is a leaky gasket in one of the mentind places.

MTS
01-01-2005, 10:17 PM
also, what colour is the spark plug after it has been runing?

busy44
01-02-2005, 12:21 AM
you need to eliminate one thing at a time spark first. 3 wires coming from engine above chain guard the black/red is for plug fire should ohm 200+ set meter to the ohm setting or (horseshoe looking icon on meter) pull the connector apart B/R wire put the positive lead inside connector and the ground lead preferbly to the stator assy.
this can only be done if yu pull the flywheel (need flywheel puller) if not to engine this will give a slightly different reading my bike varied from 170 to engine and 235 grounded to stator. the pulser should ohm at 30 thats the thing that under the cap on left side of engine i think it says cdi raised letters. gap the pulser to 3mm.
My main problem with fire was trash between the flywheel and stator coil rust and dirt
You worked on the carb but when yu installed the throttle assy. on top their is a rubber gasket that must seal when its screwed tight . if yu cannot fix GET a OEM ,manual Also spark may be hard to see mine was thin blue

HaggLE
01-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Make sure that the spark advancer hasnt fallen to pieces i.e. make sure it springs back.

Make sure the pulse pickup hasnt been hitting the advancer or isnt too far away. The camshafts sometimes get some movement and can hit.

Most of the problems can be from the ignition control module. Have seen it many times but usually the problem is a miss at high revs. Make sure that it has a good grounding to the frame (no paint or corrosion) and all the wires are connected correctly.

Once you get spark again try lowering the idle a little as a high idle can make it hard to start. The slow jet (should be #38 if it isnt, get one) should be screwed in all the way but the idle mixture screw shouldnt. The mixture screw should be roughly two full turns open from fully closed.

To set the mixture correctly after you have it running:
1)warm the trike up (10 mins of stop go riding)
2)adjust the idle to 1400 RPM
3)turn the screw clockwise till you hear the engine speed decrease or miss then turn the screw counter clockwise till the engine misses or decreases in speed. Centre the screw between these two points and that is the correct spot.
4)readjust the idle to 1400 RPM

If you still cant start it, make sure that there is no leaks between the inlet manifold and the engine or inlet manifold and the carb.

When you are starting it, hold the throttle just over idle. Try starting it with choke off and choke on. If unsuccessful try no throttle and choke on and choke off.

Hope this helps.

bambam203
01-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Trike still isn't running.......Fuel is def. not the problem.....Seems like spark may be the problem....It won't start at all... :mad:

bigredhead
01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
I say it's the carb.

the idling high once warmed up problem:

If you blip the throttle .. does it sometimes go back to normal idling? IF it does.. that screw that adjusts the idle speed pushes against a slant on the part that is attached to the other end of the throttle cable ( inside the carb .. plunger ?? ) and with time it can create a groove on the plunger that causes it to not stop at the same place all the time and cause idling problems.

however you have a bigger problem than that if it don't start or quits running.

Frustrating ain't it !!

HaggLE
01-07-2005, 03:28 AM
Connect a light bulb (headlight or something) to the wire coming from the bottom engine cases and wind it over. If the light doesnt come on then youve found the problem.

smokeyhonda
01-07-2005, 04:17 AM
Fuel for thought, I had all kinds of heck with my 200 not running then running some then not.. anyway I adjusted everything on the carb to no avail and had spark. decided to pull carb off and discovered the problem, the clip holding the needle had deformed and pulled out of the grooves. A scavenged clip was all it took to fix and she ran like a smokin top again.

bambam203
01-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Finally took the advice and pulled it behind the truck to get it started...IT WORKED!
It ran for about an hour....Ran pretty good...
And then of course it stalled again at the bottom of the hill. :)
We could not get it to start again.....
Any suggestions what could be causing this????

Also...I am looking for the NGk spark plugs...Where is the best place to buy them for the 185s????
Thanx.....

HaggLE
01-10-2005, 08:32 AM
If when you roll the throttle on it dies AND its not as bad when its warmed up then i would be moving the clip on the needle. Id be raising the needle (or moving the clip closer to the pointy end of the needle). If this has a positive affect then move it further. If it gets better go further if it gets worse go back. Find where is the best spot.

When you are starting it particularly after its been running, hold the throttle just over idle and i mean only a fraction. this will help.

Make sure that the plug is a NGK D8EA. Thats the standard plug. Anywhere that sell spark plugs in australia has NGK but i dunno what its like in the US.

Read up on how to jet your engine. This sounds like the crux of your problems.

Good luck.

bambam203
01-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Found some NGK spark plugs at a Honda Dealership today...they were reasonable about 2.50 ......Hopefully will have time a little later to work on the trike again...I tried a couple times to pull start it ...and it wouldn't start....Well see if the spark plug helps at all.....

straight pipe
01-11-2005, 11:59 PM
my 185 had the same problem a while back. my problem was the decompression thingy. when i bought it someone had removed the stock decompessor and simple plugged the hole with a machined plug. eventually the thing got loose and kept my valve open.i was in the middle of a shallow pond and the thing got water and died. so we tried to fire it up again long story short i pushed the plug in by mistake and didn't fire up until i realised what i had done and pulled it back out.

HaggLE
01-12-2005, 07:40 AM
I have completely removed mine, I dont use it at all.

86200s
01-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Check the timing, if the pilot screw is in bad condition get a new one(washer and 0-ring) adjust it to factory settings. Check the boot were the throttle cable and the slide connect if its far out try screwing it in when its having its high idle and see if it helps also if when u turn the handle bars and the engine revs up its ethier not mounted properly or it needs to be replaced. Also check the valve clearence, Mine ran fine and i turned it off came baq an hour later and it wouldnt start. it would pop but it wouldnt start come to find out the valve adjustment screw was stripped and it fell into the head

bambam203
05-02-2005, 09:03 PM
I am looking for a stator, cam sensor2 wire and a relay! Does anyone know where I can get these or how much they cost? Thanks

83185s
05-02-2005, 11:28 PM
a whole stator assembly or jusut a sator coil? if its just the stator coil * can get them at www.hyperparts.com for about 10 bucks...thats the CHEAPEST YOU WILL FIND...if you go to a dealer they will be like 80 bucks...i ran a dr8es-l ngk in mine.. its a racing plug and helped alot on startup and it reved a bit higher too...is there any rust in your tank? if so it may be clogging your fuel filter and not letting gas in ...causing it to die after a while and not being able to start..i dont use the filters anymore..the clog up and decrease the fuel flow..make sure you kinda bleed out the gas line..example...connect the line to ** tank and turn it on slowly when it pours threw the hose connect it to your carb..it gets air out of the line which also casues bad fuel flow..since its a 185 tho its prolly an elcetrical problem..they are notorious for the stator coil going out..they are also called "exitor" coils..also howdy can get you one pretty cheap if you dont want to go through the hassle of businesses..just talk to him...hope this helps

bambam203
05-03-2005, 10:56 PM
He said he thinks just the coil will work...and we need a cdi sensor as well....