PDA

View Full Version : Engine build: Part II (kind of long, but important)

Joel85350X
01-14-2003, 06:42 PM
After some thinking, I have decided to focus primarily on building my engine. Actually, I am going to have my engine guy do it; I am not about to crack open the cases of that 18 year old pile of gears, bearings and o-rings. Oops, made her mad, she's screaming at me from the garage. :)

Anyway, here is what I found out after some research:

Talked to Powroll, the lady was kind of a crank, but she was nicer the second time around. She told me that the 368cc kit is no longer available. They ordered the 83mm pistons direct from JE in quantities of 8 and were having a lot of trouble getting rid of them. I am not really interested in the 393 kit, because that would require boring out my aluminum jug a few mm's for the larger sleeve, and I don't like that. I did talk a lot to them about the crank and rod stroking procedure they perform. They bore the rod pin holes on the crank out and put a 3mm offset bushing in it to handle the stock lower rod pin. Then they shorten the rod 3mm, and you get a resulting 6mm stroker. That takes a stock size cylinder to a 381cc right off the bat with no cylinder bore. The procedure is $277.55 on your good crank, assuming you don't need any parts like a rod or new bearings. She said that it will make an engine wind out faster being stroked and also usually allow the engine to rev higher, too.

Talked to Curtis Sparks too, they don't deal with 350X's any more, but they are willing to do the same stroking procedure as long as I spell out exactly how I want it done. I asked if they had any recommendations, and they said that it would be too much hassle, because Curtis is the only one who knows anything about the engine, and they don't like to bother him while he is building engines. They charge $300.00 for the stroke machine work and can do exactly what Powroll would do. He also agreed that a stroker will wind out faster.

Checked out service honda, and I can get a brand new piston (+1mm bore), rings, rod, rod bearings pin and thrust washers, oil pump, timing chain, valves, valve guides, and rockers for $330 or so. I can add in a white bros mid range cam for $110, and heavy springs for $141, and be ready to go. It would be 390cc stroker with stock compression and a mid range cam, hopefully hit 33-35 horsepower.

This would put me at about $860 for parts and $240 for bore and assembly by my engine guy, WORST CASE. He said he could check all of the above mentioned parts to see what is still useable and that could be deleted from my list. Either way, I was hoping to be around $1000 for the engine, and I think this would get the job done.

Obviously I would need some carb rejetting, and possibly even a larger carb. What do you all think of this setup. and what kind of horsepower could I expect to have from this combo assuming I get everything dialed in really good?

Thoughts and comments about any of the above would be greatly appreciated. I have not spent $0.01 yet, so now is the time to change my mind for me if I need it.

Joel85350X
01-15-2003, 11:07 AM
Is the kit that perfect that nobody even has a comment about it? :)

You're just scared because I will have an X that might beat yours! :-P

Jordan
01-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Hey guys,

Doesn't anybody have suggestions on what he should do??? I want to see this thing waste my 400ex and maybe even compete with my brother's new Raptor. :-D

Is there anybody else out there besides Powroll that makes engine kits for the 350x?

-Jordan

Curtis-Tecate3
01-15-2003, 01:41 PM
I would try calling Sparks Racing again and ask to speak to him (Curtis) directly. He will take your call if he isnt too busy. Try a couple of times and be patient. You might also want to try Four Stroke Tech and talk to Mickey Dunlap as he used to work at Powroll many many years ago and he is an Ex-Racer himself. Although his specialty was the 200x like Curtis Sparks. Try www.fourstroketech.com I would shy away from any big bore kit that uses a custom piston that is not readily available in case you ever have to rebuild in the future and suddenly find that you have no oversize piston to go to or worse no piston at all. The stroker kits were the way to go but be sure to choose a reputable shop. I would personally try Falicon first for crankwork www.faliconcranks.com. Falicon is the best in the industry for crankshafts period. The stroker crank will pull through the revs quicker but I think that your RPM Redline will be lower. You wont need to rev it as high to get peak power. Let us know what you find....

Curtis.