PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic clutch

3wheelrkid
12-24-2004, 12:43 AM
hey my 250r clutch lever is very hard to pull in and kills my had when always clutchin and i wanted to put a hyraulic clutch setup on it but they only make one for the 86 trx250r. does anyone know if this one will fir? I think it will cause it has the same motor.

Billy Golightly
12-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Is your cable new? A $20 new cable and a few hours worth of oil soaking work almost as good as hyrdraulic and doesn't cost $200 either ;)

a-camp
12-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Yes I have been wondering that for 2 years.I use a 3 position easy lever.And a new Motion Pro Terminator cable and it is at least 35% easyer.Dont ever plan to sell my trike so I am thinking obout the hydraulic myself .

vartiak15
12-24-2004, 01:46 AM
when u get a new cable do u need to lube it? if so how do u do this?

Billy Golightly
12-24-2004, 11:58 AM
You dont have to, but it sure helps. In the past I used thin airtool oil. Just hold the cableand pour a little down in the housing between it and the cable, work the cable back and fourth, and keep doing it till it runs out the bottom. But, recently someone on the forum here suggested just throwing it in a bucket of old motor oil over night and letting it sit, that worked real nice actually. The 89 TRX250R clutch update kit is suppose to make a phenomenal difference in pull as well. I haven't did it in mine yet but I keep thinking about it. I think ChrisD and few other guys have done it.

Blown 331
12-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Here is how I lube them, even if they are so rusted they barely move.

Clamp a hose over the top of the outside of the cable. Fill the hose with transmission fluid or what ever you want to use. Then put compressed air to the hose. If the cable is in really bad shape clamp the air gun to the hose and clamp the handle down. If you leave 100 psi on it over night and the oil doesn't come through its time to buy a new cable. Use common sense, dont blow the hose up.

Apollo
12-24-2004, 12:39 PM
I have heard of this 89 trx clutch update, what exactly is it? Is it a stronger clutch, lighter pull, etc.? It works on ATC?

Billy Golightly
12-24-2004, 12:47 PM
I dont know exactly all the details, but it replaces the stock mechanism for pushing on the pressure plate and releasing the clutch. If I can remember right, the pre 89 ones have a rod that goes through the case from the clutch actuator on the left, and then it pushes on the pressure plate. The 89 kit has this rod with a ball or something on the end that is suppose to give more leverage and will not wear as easily as the rod (Which makes it where you have to give yourself full adjustment to make any pull). I'm pretty sure Nac's Racing offers the 89 update kit for around $90.

250rAL
12-24-2004, 01:22 PM
hey my 250r clutch lever is very hard to pull in and kills my had when always clutchin and i wanted to put a hyraulic clutch setup on it but they only make one for the 86 trx250r. does anyone know if this one will fir? I think it will cause it has the same motor.

It should work provided the clutch cables on the two machines are about the same length. The only reason it wouldn't work is if it's too short to reach on the ATC.