PDA

View Full Version : AllBall or Factory rear bearings.

bigredhead
12-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Ok.. finally found the problem with the rear end on my 85 250 SX, occasional crunch sound.... worn bearings on left side. I took it apart last night and after removing the dust cover and the seal on the bearing, the race that hold the bearings in the metal ring that holds the balls seperated is pulled out in one spot and a ball is missing in action. i packed it with grease for now and put it back together.. but.

I can either get them from Honda :

2 bearigns at 30 $ each, plus 15 $ for the dust cover. = 70 plus tax.

or

aftermarket " Allball " bearings at 68 $ for the complete kit of 4 bearings and the dust cover and metal ring included. 2 of those bearings i won't really need, but i could tear into the rear end and replace them all for the hell of it.

suggestions and opinions? anyone ever buy those " allball " bearings before ?

ejc042
12-23-2004, 02:53 PM
I have AllBallls bearings in my 200x, 250r and the 350x i am building. All of them seem to be working fine. I have not had a problem in 3 years with these bearings.

Trikeaholic
12-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I will bet any money that this company "allballs" is just importing the bearings from overseas and charging the heck out of unsuspecting ATVers. Bearings are common in industrial supply shops, just get one out and take it there to buy new ones. they are cheap as dirt if you buy right.!!!

Blown 331
12-23-2004, 03:10 PM
I will bet any money that this company "allballs" is just importing the bearings from overseas and charging the heck out of unsuspecting ATVers. Bearings are common in industrial supply shops, just get one out and take it there to buy new ones. they are cheap as dirt if you buy right.!!!

I used to work at a machine shop and that's what I did when I needed bearings. Just matched them up. I was getting rear axle bearing for $8 a peice!

bigredhead
12-23-2004, 03:21 PM
http://www.allballsracing.com/bearing_kits/wheel_bearings_and_seals.htm

Was just checking their website... they appear ok.

My concern is more about durability. bottom line is that i want them to last.

If a local machine shop can sell me " As good " or better bearings.. daaaaaaaamm... nothing wrong with saving a ton of cash !! but i want durability !

ejc042
12-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Like I said mine are 3 years old and no problems. Where I live the local machine shops charge way to much. It was cheaper to order AllBalls bearings than buy locally, and way cheaper than Honda.

md1985250r
12-23-2004, 04:13 PM
All I have to say is 'you get what you pay for"! If a factory Honda bearing lasted 20 years +/- 1 or 2 years...then it would be money well spent to replace them with factory Honda bearings. GREG

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2004, 09:43 PM
I always get a quality bearing like Timken or SFK and I like NACCHI also.

Anytime we bought the cheapo china bearings and put them in high speed production machinery they never lasted nearly as long as the name brands like I mentioned above.

A bearing is not a bearing and the difference is in the tolerences when they make them.

You don't need to buy a Honda bearing but look for the same brands you find in your Honda or Toyota etc. and you'll be just fine.

Most industrial suppliers carry good brands for at least half of the dealer.

sandrooster
12-24-2004, 10:49 AM
I also would recommend everyone avoid the cheap bearings made in Taiwan/China. They are cheaper for a reason.

Replace all your trikes bearings with OEM bearings made in Japan.

How much $$ are you saving if you have to replace the $8 axle bearings from James Lucky next year.
Both my 85Rs original axle bearings are tight with no hint of wear. My other 85R that got a replacement carrier with bearings are in need of new bearings after 14 months.

Oh, and don't over tighten the axle lock nut more than 65 ft lbs. or the bearings will have a short life.

KASEY
12-24-2004, 11:51 AM
the amount of torque has nothing to do with bearing life,, if the spacer pipe is the right lenght and not worn,,, if its warn from not being tight enough when you put it back together you will side load the bearings and they will fail,,, thats why original bearings last so long,,,, its pretty important to measure the length and make sure its long enough,,,, if not it will have to be built up or use spacers ,,,,,,,,,,,,

smokey
12-24-2004, 12:00 PM
I have had allballs in my lakota for 2yrs and they show no sign of wear. I put allballs front wheel bearings in my 350X. I think they will work just fine.