PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Guys I have a question for you???

BLAZERONE22
12-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Is the 84 kx 250 a direct bolt up in the 84 tecate frame? and if it does can I still use the stock pipe, Shifter, intake, basically all the goodies or will mods have to be made?

BigGreenMachine
12-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Yes, the stock pipe bolts on and everything else should work. Got my T3 running tonight with the 38mm carb and a new flywheel key, what an arm ripper. Goin for a longer ride tomorrow.

NICKG
12-23-2004, 12:59 AM
complete bolt in...just be prepared as it makes about 20% more power. the gearing will be a bit different but it just needs a smaller front sprocket to compensate nicely...

BLAZERONE22
12-23-2004, 02:08 AM
Right On!!! Does it have the same stator issues as the tecate motor?

Jeb
12-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Yeah, what they said! :p

Right On!!! Does it have the same stator issues as the tecate motor?

No. And there's no lighting coil on the KX stator.

BigGreenMachine
12-23-2004, 11:57 AM
20% more power? cool. i fired up my Tecate this morning and went riding, i dont need 20% more power just yet lol. This bike rips as it is with reeds, pipe, and a 38mm carb, i haven't gotten it out of 3rd yet lol.

BLAZERONE22
12-23-2004, 12:07 PM
20% more power? cool. i fired up my Tecate this morning and went riding, i dont need 20% more power just yet lol. This bike rips as it is with reeds, pipe, and a 38mm carb, i haven't gotten it out of 3rd yet lol.
The KX 250 has 4 exhaust ports. I'm just learning. Does the motor have better low end power? Or is it 20% more power at the tecate "Better hope the glue holds the grips on powerband" lol. I'm kinda getting excited on building this thing now. :w00t:

BLAZERONE22
12-23-2004, 12:09 PM
The KX 250 has 4 exhaust ports. I'm just learning. Does the motor have better low end power? Or is it 20% more power at the tecate "Better hope the glue holds the grips on powerband" lol. I'm kinda getting excited on building this thing now. :w00t:

http://images.snapfish.com/3426%3A49923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2324%3D589%3D656%3DX ROQDF%3E23236%3B%3B6835%3C5ot1lsi

BigGreenMachine
12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
I would imagine that the lighter flywheel on the KX would mean it has even less bottom end then the Tecate. My Tecate has enough low end to putt around on but I don't think its going to be too fun on the trails round here. The power is like a switch, once she gets on the pipe you better be holding tight or your goin off the back, especially with that slipperly seat cover you have Dave. The first thing my bro said when he saw me riding was you need a longer swingarm. :TrikesOwn

NICKG
12-23-2004, 01:12 PM
20% more of the "hold on" and the kx motor is a bit more abrupt in power delivery...the clyinder has a divider in the exhaust port. the kx flywheel is quite a bit lighter so it will also be a bit harder to ride and more likely to stall, the thing to do is put the 84 kx top end on the original kxt bottom.... the kx motor setup was a favorite trick of the tecate guys for a long time, but you need to know how to use the power to go fast...it is a rocket in a straight line and is stone reliable in stock form in the kx 250. the actual tecate engines were always in a higher tune stock than most would think, they used more of the kx technology than the 250r did cr. they have a lot more interchangeability with the kx as well, parts like sing arm bearings, various busings, sprockets etc were all easily swapped. the kx motor(or top end i shuld say) runs best with a bassani pipe, that pipe was made for that cylinder swap....

BLAZERONE22
12-23-2004, 10:42 PM
I would imagine that the lighter flywheel on the KX would mean it has even less bottom end then the Tecate. My Tecate has enough low end to putt around on but I don't think its going to be too fun on the trails round here. The power is like a switch, once she gets on the pipe you better be holding tight or your goin off the back, especially with that slipperly seat cover you have Dave. The first thing my bro said when he saw me riding was you need a longer swingarm. :TrikesOwn

LOL I was hoping to keep that seatcover also. Oh well, Well since I have the tecate CDI I suppose I need to buy a tecate stator and flywheel. I went out today and yanked the cover on the old motor. I'm missing the bolt that holds the flywheel and the key. I played around with the tranny and it does'nt shift at all. Well it don't click like its shifting. But it does go into gear. weird. Any ideas? Man I need to get a manual. There's a guy on Ebay selling tecate flywheels and stators. anyone bought from him? Seems reasonable, as far as price.

smokinp
12-24-2004, 02:04 AM
has anyone ever tryed a kx500 engine in a tecate frame(any year t-3)?

tmecars
12-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Hey NickG or Jeb...
Would the same swap work with 85 Tecate/KX's?

Apollo
12-24-2004, 11:09 AM
This is a great thread. What is this stator issue all about?

BLAZERONE22
12-24-2004, 02:05 PM
This is a great thread. What is this stator issue all about?

The stator issue on the old tecates is that the magnets are glued on. they sometimes come off and take out the stator. Rickey stators intergrate the magnets into the flywheel.

NICKG
12-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Hey NickG or Jeb...
Would the same swap work with 85 Tecate/KX's?
yep....its funny. i never had a problem with the flywheel comung apart(then again i always used the right tool to take it apart) if you don't care about the light, use the kx system, it will rev higher and quite a bit faster.

Jeb
01-05-2005, 12:57 PM
You can swap ingnitions T. You should swap the CDI and Coil along with the stator and flywheel.

But as for a direct engine swap, that will not work when it comes to 85 KXT and 85 KX. The 85 KX250 motor is the center port KIPS motor that will only swap with the 86/87 KXT.

NICKG
01-05-2005, 03:46 PM
sorry about my typo...the tecate is basically 1 year behind the kx in engine. 84/85 tecae use 83/84(84 is better) kx 86 tecate use 85 or 86 kx(these are basically the same engines)

BigGreenMachine
01-05-2005, 07:21 PM
So Blazer did you get that motor off eBay or did you miss out? Lost the auction link so I never kept up on it.

BLAZERONE22
01-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Nah I did'nt get it. I've been messing with the Tri Z. Waiting on parts for that. Also getting everything together to do a topend job on the aircooled. I started taking the tecate apart. but put that on hold until I figure out what I want to do with it. I'm kicking around the idea of dropping a kx 125 motor in there. It looks like it would almost be a dropin type of deal with new front motor mounts fabbed up. I have a buddy that has a kx that I'm trying to talk out of. lol

BigGreenMachine
01-05-2005, 10:40 PM
What year KX125? That bike would git around pretty good.

BLAZERONE22
01-05-2005, 10:46 PM
1983 Kx I remember a write up in a old mag. I've been tearing the house apart looking for it. but I'm sure its a boltup deal. The stock kx pipe will work also with a little tweak.