PDA

View Full Version : powrol 200x kit?

willcamach
12-22-2004, 08:12 PM
my bike is in need of a rebuild and im wondering if anyone on here has ever done the premium kit by powrol to there x. in total it bumps displacment to 218cc ads a stroker crank and a # of other things. price = 735.00 for the parts not including labor and other parts that may be neccesary. i just bought the bike and rode it maybe 3 times before it started acting the hell up and so now im faced with the decision of upgrading to this kit which claims to give the 200x performance of a stock 250r their claim not mine....or doing a standard rebuild. any suggestions or experience with this would be nice and greatly appreciated please help as i am a total noob with two trikes i need to restore.

85 atc 70
84 atc 200x

leprogle
12-22-2004, 08:25 PM
i think they mean an xr250r though. not a 2 stroker

willcamach
12-22-2004, 08:36 PM
youre probably right about that.... lol but how powerful is that engine. and are these upgrades worth the almost 800 bucks or should i just do a cheapo standard build. and whats the average cost of a standard rebuild.

350xsx
12-22-2004, 08:42 PM
a regular rebuild is about $200 give or take some depending on abor

vartiak15
12-22-2004, 08:49 PM
i rebuilt my crank, then got a pro x connecting rod kit, weisco high compression piston, total gasket kit, and i honned my cylinder my self and it was 300 bucks. so he is right about 200 the crank rebuild was 100 bucks

willcamach
12-22-2004, 09:30 PM
so is the powroll kit overpriced it comes with a bore kit, hotter camshaft, springs and so forth and they require you to send in your old crank for them to do the stroker . according to them its a 50% increase in overall power. and they reccomend a ehuast system like a supertrapp and some other pipe. i already have a bassani on there i just want my trike to run good. and have decent power

84honda 200X
12-22-2004, 09:35 PM
I was lookin at it on the website. I think its worth it. Infact i wouldnt mind doing it to my 200X. Im sure it works its probably the same kit they had in the 80's and i doubt they would lie im sure its faster than a xr 250R like they say.

vartiak15
12-22-2004, 11:01 PM
ide say go for it man. if i had the money i would of done it. got a pick of your trike. i wana see this basanni!

jakey
12-23-2004, 12:29 AM
ull be right with a 400ex with that kit

willcamach
12-23-2004, 01:05 AM
no pictures handy of the trike but i got the pipe off of ebay heres a pic of the pipe i will take pics of the trike and post them on here when i get a chance the trike is in my storage unit since i live in an apartment... im seriously thinking of doing this powroll thing if im gonna spend 300 bucks for a regular rebuild im game to go the extra mile and make this trike into a real quad killer....lol just thinking about my buddies face when he pulls out his suzuki lt250.... the few times we rode i was already neck and neck with him....

Studytime
12-23-2004, 01:18 AM
ull be right with a 400ex with that kit

I'd have to see that one...

Studytime

willcamach
12-23-2004, 02:01 AM
whats the advantage of a high compression piston kit. theres an option of 10.1 or 12.1 not sure what to go with

Studytime
12-23-2004, 02:17 AM
whats the advantage of a high compression piston kit. theres an option of 10.1 or 12.1 not sure what to go with

Higher compression means higher efficiency and therefore higher power. Infact, there's a simplified thermodynamic formula for the efficiency of IC engines and it's largely based off of compression ratio.

Higher compression generates more heat however. This brings up two points. One, mechanical components can only take so much heat so you are limited to a maximum value. Two, the higher heats will cause your fuel to ignite at inappropriate times and damage your motor. You want a fuel that burns slower for high compression engines. That fuel is one with a higher octane rating.

So, for your air cooled engine you'd be better to stick with 10/1 to keep overheating to a minimum and be able to run gas from your local station. If you go with the 12/1 piston you'll require more octane (race fuel) and perhaps your engine will overheat when ran hard for prolonged periods.

Studytime

MO350X
12-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Just a thought.
If you're ready to move up in power, it's a thought.

350X's are VERY rideable, reliable and have the BIG power you want in stock form.

Again, no offense, just a thought.

Before you spend $700+ on modding a 200X, why not put that money toward the 350X?

Good Luck!

Kintore
12-23-2004, 10:28 AM
I say, try it. That thing would have massive power, but do you want to spend 800? or do what MO350x said and put that towards the 350x. Just some food for thought

good luck and you can match your buddies Lt 250?

willcamach
12-23-2004, 12:15 PM
ive only had my 200x for about 6 months and got it for a reasonably cheap price. its now started to smoke so since im gonna rebuild just figured id do the best performing enhancements all at once. i wouldnt mind a 350x but they average about 1500 in my area and thats about double what the powrol kit cost. and ive already begun to restore at least cosmeticly my x and have become emoitionaly attached to it lol. besides if i got another trike or bike or quad my wife would kill me.

Kintore
12-23-2004, 01:00 PM
lol, wife would kill you. Anyways I know what you mean about becoming attached to a unit. My 84 is my baby, I say now go powrol and give her the beans!

vartiak15
12-23-2004, 01:15 PM
now that i think about it i would only do these mods if i was going to use it for like drag only. because wont it over heat way to easy. they used these kits with oil coolers back in the day. unless u want to hoook up and oil cooler that would be one bad *** trike man.

jakey
12-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I thought the same thing. A guy who owned both bikes said they run right with each other. He had a stock xr250r cam in it though...so with a race grind cam you might just edge out the 400ex

willcamach
12-23-2004, 04:24 PM
i will mostly be joy riding no real racing i ride a lot in the sand and some trail riding. i just want to get the most bang for my buck. how hard it is to do an oil cooler on these bikes and are parts readily available im open to doing just about anything to this trike. the way i look at it a new quad cost 5 grand plus.. and i would like to have one but with a car payment thats not going to be done with for another 2 years id rather build up my trike then give it to the wife when im ready for a quad. if i still want one........lol

mwill15
12-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Tell this guy who ownes both that I will race him for papers. 600' with a 80' head start. Lets see him put his money where his mouth is. Have you ever seen a 200x out run a 350x? My uncle has a slightly modified 350x and needles to say that he isn't much faster than a stock 400ex. He has a 10:1 and headwork, I'm faster than him.

As far as 200x's, I've raced the baddest ones, no competition. If you wanna go fast, take that money and move up to a 350x.

OldSchoolin86
12-23-2004, 09:29 PM
I'd have to see that one...

StudytimeMe too, lol

KASEY
12-23-2004, 09:48 PM
if you do build your 200x i suggest you try to find a set of aftermarket gears. you will pull teeth on 2nd and 3rd,,, i have been there several times in the past,,,, powerroll might even know where t6o get a set,,,, it would s-u-c-k to build it and have to tear it back down to fix the trans ...............

i can't say su ck???????? what the heck?

short4stuff
12-23-2004, 09:59 PM
How much power is that gonna have after those mods.. thats the question I have.. I mean blowing gears .......... yikes... How is it gonna pull ? Kasey.. you must have experience... Let us know......

also you can say "blows" not "sucks" .. lol

OldSchoolin86
12-23-2004, 10:06 PM
I've built some hot bikes including a couple 200Xs but I've never blown teeth unless it was related to a bad bearing. For the money to power gain ratio your way better off just doing a rebuild with some extra goodies. Spending $250 plus shipping for a crank that will get you 20cc just isn't worth it in my book.

jakey
12-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Whoa man, dont shoot the messenger. But seriously lets look at this sensibly. If the powroll kit is claiming 50% more power over stock that is 7 added hp. Right? 14 for a stock 200x half of that is 7, soooo add em up and you got your self 21 hp in a bike that is over 100 pounds less then the 400ex. With a supertrapp pipe and a filter you might even be looking at 25 hp. Now the claimed dry weight for a 400ex is 375 pounds. I am not quite sure how much it is with oil and a full tank of gas. And if my memory serves me right the stock hp for a 400ex is something like 27 h.p. Now it just makes sense to me that that little x just might have a chance. Dont beleive me call up Curtis Sparks and make sure i got my numbers right, cause he swears on those 200x's. But of course you have a modded 400ex and im sure you would not have any trouble with it. But seriously man 80'? With the right gearing that x would scream in a 600' race. please tell me if any of my numbers are wrong. But im pretty sure im right on with most of them.

smokinp
12-24-2004, 01:59 AM
have you thought about a xr 200 bottom end?

greenhuman
12-24-2004, 02:50 AM
All these "bring yer papers" jokers have never seen a good 200X run. I wish I was in the U.S with my Project X 70. Would I come home with a lot a quads and trikes. I used to race a small bore, long stroke 205cc 200X in the 250 class in motocross and scared the bejesus out of the top two riders in that class. Now with the 218cc kit, I know it will run with and in a lot of cases flog a lot of bigger machines. This is experience talking here, not just p**s and wind.

KASEY
12-24-2004, 12:05 PM
well all i can say is if you build a real 200x ,,, not just bolt some stuff on it,,, (BIG DIFFERENCE) and you don't go through the transmission ,,,, i will be the first to sat I TOLD YOU ,,,,, sparks use to sell 200x transmission gears for a reason,,,the 200x i built cost $3500 TO BUILD THE MOTOR ,,, back in 1987 ,,, it was very fast,,, 250's would often see only the back of it ,,,,,

Billy Golightly
12-24-2004, 01:17 PM
200X's CAN be built to be fast, but as Kasey as saying the transmission is the weak spot if you use them much at all. My 84 had a wiseco 12:1 bored .040 over, Web cam, different valves, few other things. It was a great trike, but then this happened about 3 months later... I also had problems with the kick starter gears stripping/slipping because of the extra stress from the 12:1.

jakey
12-24-2004, 03:11 PM
It's all good, the more arrogant people there are the more races the few of us who know what we're talking about will be winning. And plus i'd rather have a 25 h.p. 260 pound bike then a 27 h.p. 375 pound bike any day. esecially if it costs 3 grand less

short4stuff
12-24-2004, 04:40 PM
The thing I dont get, is that like aint he liquid R like 10 pounds lighter than a 200x .. and umm have like 36-39 hp STOCK! Why do you people bother? ... well I sorta get it.. I mean here you Can't find a 350x or 250r.. I WAS lucky to find my 200x.. other people from atlantic canada on this bored will agree I am sure.

smokinp
12-24-2004, 07:03 PM
yep...a race trike in atlantic canada is VERY rare....I am lucky to have 2 200x's

OldSchoolin86
12-24-2004, 08:52 PM
200X's CAN be built to be fast, but as Kasey as saying the transmission is the weak spot if you use them much at all. My 84 had a wiseco 12:1 bored .040 over, Web cam, different valves, few other things. It was a great trike, but then this happened about 3 months later... I also had problems with the kick starter gears stripping/slipping because of the extra stress from the 12:1.

Sounds like we did the same things! I also did some other mods but I have to admit that I sold it only 2 months after I built it. I rode it hard and shut a lot of people up myself. It sure was a blast beating up on all my buddies machines with it. I was working at a dealer at the time so it was nothing to go crazy with the ol' girl $ wise. Kasey, I prolly didn't have it long enough to do the trans damage. Sorry about that.

OldSchoolin86
12-24-2004, 08:59 PM
When I built this one you could still get the suspention kit from White Brothers.
http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/3ww/200x.jpg
All I know is that with the power she had I wouldn't have bothered with a $250 crank for 20cc.

Another note here, I'll bring my 400 to TF and gladly race any 200x so you guys can find out how close they are, lol.

Billy Golightly
12-24-2004, 09:43 PM
I still got my X, but it has a lowly (In comparison) 200e topend now, which is just about due for a rebuild anyways. I'd really like to bring it to TF next year.

KASEY
12-24-2004, 11:02 PM
:d :d :d :d :d :d

Dammit!
12-24-2004, 11:59 PM
I've ridden some damn fast 200x's (including one raced proffesionally by a local guy that actually BEAT Curtis Sparks once). That said, never have I ridden one that will beat even a stock water cooled 250r. Even "The Man" (Sparks himself) admits his 200x won't beat an R except for maybe right off the line.

However, I would put a couple of the ones I rode up against a stock 400ex. My money would be on the 200x all the way. The one I built was pretty decent too but I wouldn't bet on that one. Even with my mods my buddies 350x would beat me pretty handily. My bike was but a shadow of the one that beat Sparks though. Not even close. At the time the only trike I had ever ridden that could beat that one were the 250r's.

All that said, I wouldn't spend my money on a powroll kit, personally. I'm sure they're nice and if you have the cash to throw around, why not. But for me, a 200x is a "fun" bike. If I were to get another one I'd build it up similar to my old one. Good performance but not sacrificing reliability. It doesn't cost a ton to make them plenty powerful enough to have a blast on them and still keep up with most of your 4-stroke running buddies. Remember, you don't have to always outpower them. Sometimes it's better to simply out ride them. ;)

But that's just my experience and two cents. The important thing is to do what you want and have fun doing it. Get out there and race and find out what's what when you're done. :beer

Oh yeah, I'll echo what's been said about stripping the gears. That really does happen. I've even seen it happen on stockers that were just ridden too hard.

Studytime
12-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Another note here, I'll bring my 400 to TF and gladly race any 200x so you guys can find out how close they are, lol.

:p Hahaha... the 400ex says "put up or shut up".

Studytime

jakey
12-25-2004, 02:12 PM
I think what he meant was the 200x will be closer then people think

OldSchoolin86
12-25-2004, 02:14 PM
I think what he meant was the 200x will be closer then people thinkI'm just offering my kind services ;)

jakey
12-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Well that just like OldSchoolin, never thinking of himself. Well if you would be so kind to send me a motor just like the one you had, I would greatly appreciate your services. haha merry christmas

OldSchoolin86
12-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Well that just like OldSchoolin, never thinking of himself. Well if you would be so kind to send me a motor just like the one you had, I would greatly appreciate your services. haha merry christmas
Awsome! That was said so well if I still had it you'd be gettin it. :D

deathman53
12-25-2004, 05:36 PM
stock a 86 200x motor is pretty good, the big limitations are with suspension and handling. Put on a +4 axle, works shock, holeshots of a similar tire, 350x or like I did 350x trees and 84r front end and its gonna be faster than if you have a powrell motor kit, well in the woods. No 200x is gonna keep up 250r's, 350x's in wide open stuff, in a tight mx track(equiped right), or the woods ou are gonna be close to the r's and such, fire roads, dunes, you are dead. my 86 200x, I only had a cobra pipe(with spark arrester) and holeshot xcr's, I was riding with some quads and group of mudders, there was a 400ex in the front with my close behind and the rest of the bikes got a real good look at my tires and my dirt that was shooting. I haven't got to ride the 200x since I put on the 84r front end, works shock, next to come is to install the 84r extended axle, 83-85 200x hubs(to keep it a bit narrower for the woods and also will flip the tires around, to bring me to + 4 of stock) and when I do mx I'm gonna put on the 86 hubs and my 18" mx tires and that will bring it to 50 inches wide. My next thing to do is a ported head and cam. The 200x explodes from what I hear when you mod out the motor alot. I do suspension first, then the motor.

jakey
12-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Well I guess I am just a decade late Oldschoolin. Haha

From what I have heard over the years (no personal experience) it is hard to mod a 86 200x enough to hang with a modded 85. This is one of the reasons that people all across America raced the 83-83 200x's up until the late 80's and early 90's. Tons of mods, and they handle better then any trike I have ever ridden. I loved having the wheel spacers on my 200x, because full throttle hair pin turns were just the normal way of riding for me.

a-camp
12-26-2004, 12:28 PM
My friend builds 200x motors for our camp . Last year one he built was on the heels of a nice 400ex. . Last night he was showing me a 100% restoration he's working on . Everything is powder coated or plated . Built a shock w all functions of 250r. Put a 6 speed trans And was showing me the stroker crank . This one is going by next year.
I am getting pics of the project for the site.

Studytime
12-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Whoa man, dont shoot the messenger. But seriously lets look at this sensibly. If the powroll kit is claiming 50% more power over stock that is 7 added hp. Right? 14 for a stock 200x half of that is 7, soooo add em up and you got your self 21 hp in a bike that is over 100 pounds less then the 400ex. With a supertrapp pipe and a filter you might even be looking at 25 hp. Now the claimed dry weight for a 400ex is 375 pounds. I am not quite sure how much it is with oil and a full tank of gas. And if my memory serves me right the stock hp for a 400ex is something like 27 h.p. Now it just makes sense to me that that little x just might have a chance. Dont beleive me call up Curtis Sparks and make sure i got my numbers right, cause he swears on those 200x's. But of course you have a modded 400ex and im sure you would not have any trouble with it. But seriously man 80'? With the right gearing that x would scream in a 600' race. please tell me if any of my numbers are wrong. But im pretty sure im right on with most of them.

Are you sure that you are not confusing flywheel power with rwhp?

Studytime

jakey
12-27-2004, 11:20 PM
99.99999999%, but hey, i was that sure I passed Gov. too...haha

willcamach
12-28-2004, 01:35 PM
has anyone on this board ever dealt with powrol and there customer service. ive been trying to get a hold of a live person for the last week or so to no avail. may be because of the hollidays. but who here has ever dealt with them. any good or bad Experiences ???

jenndnn3
12-28-2004, 03:05 PM
I have personally dealt with em. I of course lived in the area, so going into their shop was easy enough. Their service was wonderful. They even allowed me to tour some of their shop. I even one time listed some powroll rings, and what nots on ebay, and got an email from them telling me other machines that I had not listed in my auction that they would fit. They are incredibly knowledgable and answered all my weird questions while I was there. I was chasing mods for my 86 200x at the time. She offerred to even research to see what was to be had, but by then I said no and had decided to buy the R. It was nice because you were able to talk about all the different options for power vs price to what we already had or should get. They were actually the ones that connvinced me to the R vs beefing up the 86 200x which is limited in its aftermarket performance.

mwill15
12-30-2004, 12:08 AM
I've raced many 200x's; never blinked an eye. The modded 350's sometimes worry me. As far as the figures 400ex about 375lbs and 27hp stock is right but I've seen stock 350x's only dyo 22 or 23hp. Horse power isn't where its at. It is torque. Find those numbers. A little different, ehh? My cousin had an EXTREME 200x; it didn't impress me much. I'm not trying to upset anyone here, just stating what I have expierienced. And the offer still stands; anyone with a 200x that bad trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro, I would love to race.

Yes sparks used to build some awsome machines, and still does, but like most people he has moved on to better things. If his old x's were soo rude, why aren't they used today? According to some people in this thread, they are much faster than many of the bikes raced today? Maybe I'm just getting the wrong impression.

I think it is cool, no matter what you ride, to have pride and confidence in yourself and your trike. I like everyone's attitude. Do your engine mod's, make it faster. Because there is one thing we can all agree on: Faster = more fun.

Sorry for the long post, but I don't get to post very often, and I wanted to get it all in.

mwill15
12-30-2004, 12:11 AM
powrol people seem great. I have talked to many who have had work done by them and are very satisfied.

willcamach
12-30-2004, 08:48 PM
thats great exactly what i wanted to hear before investing that much cash into anything. its reassuring to know the company is top notch.

whyzee
04-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I've ridden some damn fast 200x's (including one raced proffesionally by a local guy that actually BEAT Curtis Sparks once). That said, never have I ridden one that will beat even a stock water cooled 250r. Even "The Man" (Sparks himself) admits his 200x won't beat an R except for maybe right off the line.

However, I would put a couple of the ones I rode up against a stock 400ex. My money would be on the 200x all the way. The one I built was pretty decent too but I wouldn't bet on that one. Even with my mods my buddies 350x would beat me pretty handily. My bike was but a shadow of the one that beat Sparks though. Not even close. At the time the only trike I had ever ridden that could beat that one were the 250r's.

All that said, I wouldn't spend my money on a powroll kit, personally. I'm sure they're nice and if you have the cash to throw around, why not. But for me, a 200x is a "fun" bike. If I were to get another one I'd build it up similar to my old one. Good performance but not sacrificing reliability. It doesn't cost a ton to make them plenty powerful enough to have a blast on them and still keep up with most of your 4-stroke running buddies. Remember, you don't have to always outpower them. Sometimes it's better to simply out ride them. ;)

But that's just my experience and two cents. The important thing is to do what you want and have fun doing it. Get out there and race and find out what's what when you're done. :beer

Oh yeah, I'll echo what's been said about stripping the gears. That really does happen. I've even seen it happen on stockers that were just ridden too hard.

anyone looking for mods on the 200X should really read Dammit's post!

haggard 2hundie
04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
good point the 350x is a monster, but good luck finding one for under a grand at least where i am in the midwest im trying to trade my 1990 gmc custom pickup for an 86 350x