PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on 350X valve adjustment.

ClayW
12-22-2004, 02:41 PM
I have a manual. :D So, i just want to make sure im interpreting what its saying to do. I am trying to get it at TDC. It says to alingn the T mark with the mark on the crankcase. I see the T mark. It has a line under it. Should that line, line up with the slot in the crank case that the cap threads in to. The threads have a section notched out from front to back. I have that notch lined up with the line under the little T mark. Is this Right? I want to make sure im doing this right. :beer

ClayW
12-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Ok. I am assuming that this is correct. The previous post. I havent changed anything yet. But the feeler guages I have are not small enough. I know that the valve spec for the intake and exhaust are .08mm or .003 in. The feeler guage I have goes to .127mm and .005 in. This guage will not go in there. Too tight. Where can I get a feeler guage that thin. I have been to sears and 3 autoparts stores and no one has a set that goes that small. All of them have the same specs as mine. Man .003 seems paper thin. Thats not much clearance. I am afraid that im going to adjust it too tight. What do you guys think about my qustions?

MTS
12-22-2004, 06:08 PM
the should be a line on the left or right of the T that lines up with the timing make, as for feeler guages genrally what iv seen is you have to buy the big wad of them to get the really small ones, yes it is paper thin, it just takes patience to get them set right lol so there just snug when you push and pull them out =)

SpeedBump
12-22-2004, 06:14 PM
It IS paper thin...you are doing it right. Quick way to know if you are @ TDC, the lobes on the cam should be down and there should be NO pressure on the valves...the rockers should have a bit of free play..good luck. Try Advance Auto (http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts.asp?categorycode=3393&sourcepage=SelectCategory&toplevelcategorycode=T&searchfor=Feeler+Gauges) for the feeler guage.

ClayW
12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Well I found a feeler guage. There is not slack in the rockers. They feel tight. If I have the T mark/line and the notch on the case lined up right. Im pretty sure I do. Any way. I put a .003 in feeler guage in there, (intake side) and I could only get it to slide in between the valve an the rokcker( surface that rides on the valve) about a quater of the way. It would not slide all the way in. That confirms my worry that they were too tight. Dont you think? I could only get the feeler guage to slide in a quater of the way. Then it would jam. Too tight. Any further thoughts. Is their a tool that would make adjusting the little square headed piece easier.

ClayW
12-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Checked the exhaust side also and they are tight also. Anyone? :(

MO350X
12-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Hey Clay!

If you are confident that you obtained the timing marks correctly, go ahead and adjust the lash to .003".
Then turn the motor over to bring up the timing marks again to re-check your setting.
Remember....you can always correct it.
Don't worry about that.
It's not like you're altering the timing or something. :)

I can't remember EXACTLY how I did mine but I followed my Honda service manual to a tee and it was a breeze.....and I'd never done it before! :)
Mine were loose, rather than tight, before I adjusted them.

Good luck, Clay.
You can do it. :beer