PDA

View Full Version : how do you seperate crank halves on 175 tri-moto?

bushwacker51
12-20-2004, 12:40 AM
I was going to put a new rod in my 175 tri moto and noticed there is a rod that goes between the cranshaft halves and holds the rod in, I attempted to press it out and it did not budge. There is nothing about removing this in the manual and I did not want to mess anything up any ideas. Also the one crank bearing is on the end of the crank and dosent look like there is a way to get a bearing puller around the bearing because it butts up to the crank. Any suggestions would be appriciated thanks Glenn Oister

3wheelrkid
12-20-2004, 01:06 AM
you have to have the crank seperated by a machine shop which isnt that expensive and then needs to be rebalanced after the rod is installed do not attempt to do it yourself! The bearing needs to be takin off with specail tool that locks around the back of the bearing and pulls it off the machine shop should beable to do that to! hope this helps.

bushwacker51
12-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I called FTZ racing and they said they would seperate the crank halves and put the new rod I provided back in for 45 dollars did not think that was a bad price so I am going to send it to them and I thought while I have it apart might as well have them bore it put a new weisco piston in it and put a mx port job on the cylinder. Thanks Glenn Oister

KASEY
12-22-2004, 12:35 AM
you have to have the crank seperated by a machine shop which isnt that expensive and then needs to be rebalanced after the rod is installed

this is not true,, after installing a new rod it has to be TRUED not balanced . balancing is totally different and not necessary ......

bushwacker51
12-22-2004, 01:23 AM
Kassey,
You are correct when I called Ftz racing I aked them if they would rebalance the crank the guy i was speaking to said no we dont balance them we just true them up. So sounds like you are right on the money in what you say thanks for the correct information. Glenn Oister