PDA

View Full Version : My ride boggs me down!

Mick04
12-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Rebuilt the carb on a 81 185s and I can't get rid of the bogging down off idle when I crack the throttle. valves are set and the compression is good. Any ideas? Thanks

:beer

MTS
12-19-2004, 11:25 PM
when you say "crack" the throttel you mean hit er really fast and let off and it bogs? cuze ifso mine dose that too, and my friends did untill he put a 12:1 wiseco piston in it...i think its just the way the bikes are :(

cliff2302
12-20-2004, 12:26 AM
is your air filter clean? i'd imagine jetting would be the culprit, or some remaining gum the the carb. good luck

Mick04
12-20-2004, 01:07 PM
The air filter is clean. I really don't know what the problem could be. It has the stock pilot jet and a #95 main. I have tried adjusting the air screw but noithing seems to help.

Dammit!
12-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Try running it with the airbox lid off and see what it does. That will have the effect of leaning out the fuel/air mixture a little bit. If it fixes the problem you might be able to get away with nothing more than a needle adjustment.

Mick04
12-21-2004, 12:46 AM
Started to work on the 185s again after work and here's what it does. First off it is a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to start, I have to pull and pull until it will go. Choking it does not seem to matter that much unless I cover the air box opening with my glove. When I did finally get it going I tried everything that I could to get rid off the bog but it still is there. I tried moving the needle clip in all positions but still no change. So I put my hand over the airbox hole and it seems to run better. I can snap the throttle and it doesn't seem to bog down as bad. But here's the kicker, the plug is black and sooty. Wouldn't this be a running rich problem? If so why does it run better when I cover the airbox hole up. Thanks

Meat-BoX
12-21-2004, 04:54 AM
I have seen the Gas Tank Vent Tube get Clogged and that prevents the proper amount of gas to get into the carb. Try with your Gas Cap Off and check all of your air hoses. Make sure your gas cap can brethe allso. Just a little problem that does happen, and is usually overlooked.

BigGreenMachine
12-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Give your carb a good cleaning, a little dirt or water in your float bowl may be the problem.

Kintore
12-22-2004, 10:53 AM
exactly when BigGreen said, try the carb cleaning thats my recommondation

Mick04
12-22-2004, 11:47 AM
The carb is absolutely clean and free of any debris. I am going to check the gas tank strainer tonight. I tried to get it out but it is stuck in there. Is there and easy way to get it out without wrecking it? Thanks

bigredhead
12-22-2004, 12:33 PM
even if you carb is as clean as a whistle....

Make sure your tank is not crudding it up again. ( dirty or rusty tanks... ).

I suspect my big red of this, as i have cleaned the carb, runs great for a short while, and after a few laps it starts all over again.. fouls plugs ( seems to run rich and i can't figure out why ! )

i change my plug and clean the carb again... and bam.. starts on the first try.

then the cycle starts again !!!

I noticed bubbles on the seam of my tank last week....!!

RideRed250R
12-22-2004, 01:46 PM
it runs better with air box covered cause it leans it out, its restricting air flow, i would order a NEW carb kit, our 185s both of them did the same thing about 2 years ago, trailprotrailpro needles have just warn down and its time for new ones, its like a rugged rock in a river it slowly will turn to rounded and trailprotrailpro needs just lost their "EDGE" i would suggest doing that.
adam

Mick04
12-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Pulled the fuel tank strainer tonight and it's clean. The carb is absolutely clean as well. I noticed that in the carb kit I installed that I have a #105 main jet installed instead of the stock #95. It has a stock muffler and a brand new K@N air filter. Could this cause it to bog off idle? It's to damm cold here in MN (-12F) to do any test riding. Maybe I can get back on it Friday when it warms up a bit.

ATCnut
12-23-2004, 12:33 AM
a 105 main would be too big. Try the original 95 and see if it runs better. the main jet does not wear out, so using the old one will not be a problem

Mick04
12-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Put the #95 back in today and fired it up. The carb was cleaned and it still boggs down when you crack the throttle open. I can see gas spitting back at me when the air cleaner is off. What would cause the motor not to be able to burn the gas when the throttle is opened up quickly? Thanks

RideRed250R
12-27-2004, 10:40 PM
weak spark not good compression
adam

Mick04
12-27-2004, 11:07 PM
It has 120psi. It has great spark but I guess I could try a new coil. I think that it is original by the looks of it.

RideRed250R
12-27-2004, 11:21 PM
my coils are orignal and they werent the problems i remember a good carb cleanin did good but u already did that, they do sputter alittle when u go from idle TO WOT but then ussaully catch up after a second and go straight to the top does it do it to u when trailprotrailpro in gear rollin? cause it could also be trailprotrailpro valve timing and spark timing
adam

Mick04
12-27-2004, 11:33 PM
No, it just does it when it is sitting at idle then when I snap the throttle it boogs until I feather the throttle up. I guess I will have to live with it since it really does not do it at mid to wide open throttle while i'm riding it.

MTS
12-28-2004, 02:32 AM
as i stated before, it is just the way the honda 200-185 is from a dead idle...evey one i have ever seen has done this...just the way it is, 120psi is good compression...the only cure i have seen for this so far is a high compression piston in the bike....

RideRed250R
12-28-2004, 03:02 AM
i second MTS mine do the same u can just hop on them they have to catch up alittle but it wont with u slowly rev to alittle bast idle and then jam on it i bet! hope that clears it up
adam

a-camp
12-28-2004, 03:21 AM
Do you have a low speed screw. How many turns out is it?

RideRed250R
12-28-2004, 03:23 AM
i dotn believe they do
adam

Mick04
12-28-2004, 12:39 PM
I have tried to adjust the air screw but it really does not help. I pulled the carb again last night and threw it in my ultra sonic parts cleaner that I picked up at a garage sale this past summer and cleaned it again. Now I know for certain this carb is clean and I will let ya know how it turns out. I have had this trike since I was 11 and it had been sitting for quite some time and it sure feels good to get back on her after all this time. I don't remember it having this off idle hesitation but I guess it has been a few beers later! LOL

Bender
12-28-2004, 09:13 PM
my 200x does the same crap except iv never done anything to it to make it do that it is at the point where it wont even start

Mick04
12-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Well I put the carb back on after another good cleaning and it still boggs of idle. There has to be a way to fix this and I am not giving up until I figure it out. When I say bogging down I mean if I jam the throttle to wide open it will kill the bike. If I jam it to half throttle then let off and jamb it to full it picks up nicely. Any more Ideas? Someone has to have a fix for this?

hotroddal
01-02-2005, 12:44 AM
well mick i would have to say that you may have to clean your airfilter out good(if you havnt done that already), and by the way some of my trikes in the below zero temperatures will bog when you give it gas realy qwick) check to see if you got water in the gas tank(just dump the gas into a clear container and you will see the water form the gas) and adjust the idle screw, if its set extremely low it will bog from an idle alittle bit.

Mick04
01-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Everything on this trike is good to go. New stator, carb cleaned about 6 times, fuel tank is clean, valves are set, pulse generator reads 29 ohms, the only thing that I can think of is the secondary coil. It reads 3.75k ohms and I think that is bad. Am I right?