PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z compared to 85-86 250R

Dynofox
12-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Hey guys haven't posted much lately but might be selling my EX this spring to pick up another 2-stroke trike. The EX is nice but I miss having a high performance trike, nothing compares to a 2-stroke trike. Some of you may remember I used to have an 85 tri Z that I traded for an 86 350x. The main things I hated about the X versus the Z were the extra weight along with the high center of gravity (tipsy feeling). I've never ridden an 85-86 R but for those of you that have had seat time on the newer R's as well as the Z how do they compare handling wise? I really liked the stable feeling the Z had (even having the hubs set in the skinny mode), was great on off-camber hills (I'm assuming a lot of this is due to the under seat gas tank). Does the R feel as stable as the Z? Another nice thing I remember about the Z was I could lug the motor right down and ride it almost like a 4-stroke in the tight trails since it had good low end. Does the R have low end like a Z or is it more mid-top end?

Darius1502
12-17-2004, 12:10 AM
I have ridden alot of 250r's and own a Tri Z...

The R has more power and turns much quicker. It also feels lower

The Tri Z has better bottom end. The under the seat tank is a pain.

I am looking to buy an R right now. If you factor in all the motor upgrades that can be done with the TRX powerplant then the R is much more versitile choice.

Go the R!

BigGreenMachine
12-17-2004, 12:19 AM
Yeah along with the motor mods, stuff like axles are still very available and am I wrong when I say aftermarket swingarms can be used from the early TRX on the ATC? Besides, the R was the the dominant bike back in the day in most situations. I think you'd like the ATC over the Z.

Blown 331
12-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Yeah along with the motor mods, stuff like axles are still very available and am I wrong when I say aftermarket swingarms can be used from the early TRX on the ATC? Besides, the R was the the dominant bike back in the day in most situations. I think you'd like the ATC over the Z.

Yep my buddy has a swing arm from an 86 ATC on his 86 TRX, it's even still gold.

Apollo
12-17-2004, 12:28 AM
I was wanting to know too if aftermarket swingarms would fit on the R from an early TRX. Well?

BigGreenMachine
12-17-2004, 12:33 AM
if what Blown is saying then yes, aftermarket swingers from the early TRX will fit. From what I understand from most old mags was that the original swinger was basicly perfect for the ATC at stock length.

Dammit!
12-17-2004, 12:42 AM
A stock 250R has good low end. Maybe not quite as much as a Z but still very usable. The R handles a lot better. I love Z's though. I wouldn't give up my R for one but I'd love to have a Z in addition to my R someday.

BigGreenMachine
12-17-2004, 01:13 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/ultralight250r-2342-86.jpg

Everyone wants an R like this.

Kintore
12-17-2004, 09:02 AM
you are so right BigGreenMachine, I would pay alot of money for a mint racing trike. But the problem is finding them

Jeb
12-17-2004, 09:23 AM
My Tri-Z out powers and out handles my 85 R 10-fold.

Of course, my R DOESNT RUN! ;)

a-camp
12-17-2004, 09:39 AM
You'r Tri z looks pretty bad whats your r look like.I think bikes now 250 s are realley close ,Its like apples and oranges. I have never rode a Green Machine or passed by one .Would like to try one.
I say Ride Red stay wright

Derrick Adams
12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I think which ever one you find a good deal on. Both are great tirkes. The R is obviously easier to get aftermarket parts for.

TimSr
12-17-2004, 10:20 AM
There were some good threads on this in the past that separated armchair, magazine reading, racers from people who had actually owned or ridden both brought about by the bad rep the Z was being given by people who had never seen one.

In my opinion, the Z is a significantly superior trail machine. It delivers much more low end power, and handles better on midwestern trails. I havent ridden an R (3 wheeled version)in the sand, but that situation might be entirely different. With minor setup adjustments, the Z handles almost as well as the R on an MX track, but Ill give the R a very slight edge for handling. The Z powerband works a lot better on most MX tracks. I cant tell any difference between supensions of the two. The R doesnt vibrate any where nearly as much as the Z, and is more reliable, primarily because if its superior cooling system. Most of the Z's reliability issues can be lined right back to an unreliable cooling system. And of course, the aftermarket possibilities for the R are nearly endless. Ive never understood the "gas tank issues" peope, have with the TriZ, as I can find no disadvantages that are anything more than psychological. Probably the biggest factor the separates the two is personal appeal, and whatever type powerband and handling you can manipulate best in your style and place of riding. Both machines deserve great respect. I live in Ohio and ride the roughest and toughest trails I can find, with a little cross country competition, and a periodic motocross to keep me humble. I was also blessed with enough mechanical aptitude to effectively address cooling system issues and proper setup. I prefer the TriZ, but Id just as happily ride the 250R.

Pistonhead
12-17-2004, 10:32 AM
I'd say whatever you could find first or get a better deal on thats in good shape. They are both great bikes.