PDA

View Full Version : 185s stator problem

83185s
12-15-2004, 05:41 PM
uh i got an ohm meter today to make sure it was my stator..well i hooked the neg into the black wire( ground) and the red onto the coil on my stator..it comes back as 206.-? so what wold be the problem with my trike? it has no spark and the way it quit sounded awfully familiar to my stator going out...did i test it wrong or what happened mayby my cdi box?

83185s
12-15-2004, 07:11 PM
well..i tested my back up and it reads the same prety much except that my back up reads 195 range instead of 205-215 range ...and my wires i tested had 1.0 on the back up and 1.3 on the first..im not sure if thats bad or good so can someone gimme some advice??

200xkwit
12-15-2004, 07:28 PM
id also like to know more about the testing of a satator i think mine is shot

jeswinehart
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
this might be of help to you guys. click the pic to enlarge.

john

83185s
12-16-2004, 04:54 PM
thanks john! i hope my stator is good but if it isnt then i dunno what the prob is

83185s
12-16-2004, 05:11 PM
im not sure what rx1 and rx10 mean and how to do that on my multimeter...its a FLUKE 77 multimeter..i switch it to ohms and i get a reading of 1.3 on the red pointer to the yellow wire and the black one on the green wire...i get the same the other way around and i get a reading of 215 ish with the black pointer on the ground wire(black) and the red pointer on the little screw on the stator or the bolt holes where it mounts to the engine case... am i doin it right?

jeswinehart
12-16-2004, 08:22 PM
i don't know about fluke meters 83185-s ,,, i use one of those cheap multi meters with the pointer that swings back and forth. it has all the numbers laid out on a very small, hard to read scale.

john

83185s
12-16-2004, 08:54 PM
o..that sucks. well could u tell me where to put the pointer things on the stator then? the red and black wires from the multimeter

jeswinehart
12-16-2004, 10:46 PM
okay 83 185-s ,,, i'll try the best i can. it ain't you man,,, i have a basic working concept of trike eletrics and it might not be worded understandably
( but clear in my near enough 50 year old mind - lol ) ,,, but i'll give it a shot.

lets be clear in what we are talking about ,,, the stator consist of the 2 coils ( 1 lighting + 1 called the exciter coil ) and also the alternator rotor.
collectivly ,,, it's called the altinator
the part of the stator you are asking about is the excitor coil located on the stator assembly. set your tester to ohms. you will need to put the red lead wire of tester into the black/red wire on excitor coil. the black wire from your tester put to ground on the side case. the reading should be 245 ohms. or there abouts.
oh yeah ,,,, book says to pull it from the side case to get true reading.

john

83185s
12-16-2004, 10:56 PM
ok thats sounds right thanks man..what did the book say about it ..something about having to replace the whole assembly or somthin?

jeswinehart
12-17-2004, 07:56 PM
yeah ,,, the book says you must replace as a whole assembly if either componet is bad . WRONG !

it takes a little soldering but each coil is defintly replacable .

john

83185s
12-17-2004, 11:07 PM
oh..well i got a new ohm meter today...a 7 function cen-tech multimeter... the fluke one i had i borrowed..the guy i borrowed it from said hes gonna get me some tools for christmas..well little did i know he got me a multimeter and a feeler gauge..the 2 things i had asked him if i could borrow..lol..so now i got some different range settings but are pretty much the same as the other..so its all good..o yea i think my stator is actually good..which means either my ignition coil or my cdi box is bad..i hope its just the coil..but last time i got a new stator i put on a new coil also so it may have been the coil that was bad not the stator..if it was then i have 2 good stators and i need a new coil..lol