PDA

View Full Version : ngk plug questions.

willcamach
12-14-2004, 02:30 PM
i was just wondering what the advantage's are if any to using the ngk iridium plugs they cost about tripple the price of the regular plugs and my bike keeps fouling the cheaper ones so should i go with one of these????

Blown 331
12-14-2004, 02:44 PM
I would only use the iridium plug if you're bike calls for it, other wise I see no point in running a more expensive plug than you need. If you're fouling plugs I bet there is a problem with the bike, running rich ect. Maybe try a hotter plug but I don't think an iridium is any more resistant to fouling- could be wrong on that though.

willcamach
12-14-2004, 02:49 PM
arent the iridium plugs hotter than the regular plugs

Blown 331
12-14-2004, 02:53 PM
arent the iridium plugs hotter than the regular plugs

I thought they were just supposed to last longer and operate more efficiently. My 450R takes an iridium plug. I have a spare for it, outrageous price.

willcamach
12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
tell me about it $9.00 for 1 plug..........according to the dealer its a hotter plug just wondering if this will plug will get my bike to run any better. may be worth the gamble

OldSchoolin86
12-14-2004, 04:02 PM
If you're fouling plugs I bet there is a problem with the bike
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Studytime
12-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Yeah, if you're fouling plugs that's a fuel deliver problem. I agree with that as well.

The iridium plugs are not any hotter they just last longer. Platinum plugs are the same story. If you ever take your plug out to clean or check your gap, then I would NEVER reccomend them. Even if the manufacturer sent my bike out with one I would not replace it with one.

A standard copper plug (the $2 NGK) produces a hotter spark, but just doesn't last as long.

So, like I was eluding to, if you take them out to check them then I suggest you just replace them with another NGK plug. This way instead of taking an expensive iridium plug out and cleaning it you can take out the NGK and replace it with a NEW one and still come out cheaper running two NGK plugs.

Even when I worked at a parts store I would recommend this same thing.

My money gets spent on the NGK's, and I run the same brand (NGK TR55) in my hotrod.

Studytime