PDA

View Full Version : Jeff...Redrider

Darius1502
12-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Could you please post more pics of your trike?

Thanks man....its the best looking 'R' I have ever seen. Seems like if Honda made an 88 that would be it!

I loved the 88 color scheme too....

Oh...what kind of fork boots are those?

What kind of headlight shell did you use?

Are thos stock 250R forks? The lower legs look longer.

Red Rider
12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks Darius! I'll never get tired of hearing praises like that. You did a great job on your 86 Tri-Z also. I won't be able to post any more pics until I'm on my own computer. I'm out of town & using a friend's computer right now. The fork boots are Daystar brand. They are recommended for 43mm (I believe) forks minimum, but they seem to fit alright on the stock 39mm forks, which is what are on my bike. The headlight shell is a modified 350X unit with a shroud on it that I made.

Kintore
12-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Darius is right, I idolize that thrike, my favorite, the best ive ever seen, best 250r ever
Got to love the red, white and chrome colour scheme. Great unit Red rider, how much did that cost you if you dont mind me asking

Red Rider
12-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Oh come on you guys, don't. Stop. I mean don't stop, keep going. Kintore, I assume you're asking how much for the looks? I have lost track of the cost, but it wasn't that much. Red seatcover, white number plate backgrounds, white Honda wing decals, red fork boots, & I stripped the gold anodization off the front wheel & polished it myself.

Dammit!
12-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Does anyone make Powervalve kits for these things that give you EVERYTHING you need to pull that off? Man I would LOVE to do that to my R but I don't trust my mechnical skills to do everything from scratch like you did. The bike looks great too but I find the mechanical stuff to be more impressive. You can't even tell that case was modified.

twgranger
12-14-2004, 05:02 PM
How did u make that headlight?? Looks great.

Kintore
12-14-2004, 05:53 PM
thanks, I am going to make a black seat with "250r" on the side on my 84 and then black fenders and tank with gold rims that shine to the moon, a pimpmobile!

but no matter what jeff, yours is better! :w00t:
:TrikesOwn

Mr. Sandman
12-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Hey Red, I gots to add my .02 cents. Post some action shots of that bike, especially of the roost those paddles must throw as I've never seen it from that view. :naughty:

ChrisD
12-14-2004, 07:12 PM
That is a sweet bike. I always admired how you fabricated the mechanism to operate the powervalve. I don't know of any motor shop that does that today. They usually weld the power valve open and port it. Awsome work! Very smart stuff!

Darius1502
12-14-2004, 07:52 PM
How did you get the 'ATC' logo on the seat cover?

ChrisD
12-14-2004, 09:23 PM
CEET used to make them in red. I have a new one for the 85R (not for sale).

Red Rider
12-15-2004, 02:42 AM
Dammit!, nobody makes any kind of kit to run the powervalve cylinder, that's why I had to do it all myself. The only alternative is to get one of those pro-x powervalve cylinders, which use vacuum to control the valve(s).

TWG, the headlight is just a 350X headlight with a shroud wrapped around it, that I fabricated out of aluminum. I had the shroud powdercoated red, then riveted it to the headlight shell.

Mr. Sandman, modern-day autofocus cameras still don't focus quick enough to catch my bike in action. :p

Darius, the seatcover is from back in the day, & it's made by CEET. It came with ATC printed on it.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. I do appreciate it, but you seem to be making my bro, Mr. Sandman, a tad bit jealous. How about throwing a little sympathy praise his way. Don't worry Sandman, I got your back, and you're :welcome:

Dammit!
12-15-2004, 03:42 AM
Sandman needs to post some better pics of his R. Can't tell much from an avatar. ;)

Fox250R
12-15-2004, 04:32 AM
Yes i was kinda hoping he could give me a few pointers :)

Mr. Sandman
12-15-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't know if this pic is any better or not, but it's the best I've got right now. As for pointers, I've got a million of them. :p

Yamahammer490
12-15-2004, 04:22 PM
That's a very nice 250R! I like the way you made it look factory and love the attention to detail. Very cool.

Kintore
12-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Red rider, I have to say agian nice machine but......
Sandman very clean R I must say, I like the modified ones but theres something about a stock looking 250r that I love. Would love to see some action pics if you can get them, like red rider said, autofocus in todays cameras isnt fast enough lol.

And what sort of pointers do you got for a 84 250r?
I would like to see you two race, awesome R's guys!

Red Rider
12-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks Yamahammer.

Here you go Sandman, I just happen to have a few pics of your bike on my computer. Enjoy, everyone.

Mr. Sandman
12-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys, and props to Red Rider for giving me the shout out! Woo hoo!

I've got quite a few action pics from back in the day that I just started scanning last night, i.e., my new avatar pic, that was taken back in 1986/87 when I was young, fearless and didn't have a family to support.

Kintore, the older model R's were nice, but if you can get a 85 or 86 water pumper you won't believe the difference. I can't even begin describe how much better they are in every aspect. It's an unbelievable feeling to spank the late model, high dollar machines of today with our 20 year old bikes. There will always be someone faster, but then again when you spend 10x more than what I've got into mine, they damn well better be faster. :TrikesOwn

Blown 331
12-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Wow, those look great. I'm debating loosing my gold rims inplace of alluminum. My swing arm is gold and still has all the original pro-link stickers on it and they are perfect so I can't hardly repaint that. I guess I should leave this one stock and maybe pick up a beater to restore and make it how I want it.

Kintore
12-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Im looking right now for a 85/86, so many people sandman have said the same thing to me.

but first im going to get used to the power of the 84, maybe in spring ill get a 85.

AirManCam
12-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Very nice R's, both of you...I think I might have to pick me up a waterpumper when the right one comes up :-P

Dammit!
12-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Dammit!, nobody makes any kind of kit to run the powervalve cylinder, that's why I had to do it all myself. The only alternative is to get one of those pro-x powervalve cylinders, which use vacuum to control the valve(s).

:welcome:

I'm not very familiar with powervalve tech. What are the pros and cons of doing it their way versus yours? I assume with theirs all you need is the cylinder? :confused:

And just to be sure, the biggest benefit of using a powervalve is increased low end power right?

Mr. Sandman
12-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Would love to see some action pics if you can get them, like red rider said, autofocus in todays cameras isnt fast enough.
Here's an old action shot of Red Rider and I from the late 80's. Ahh, the good old days. Red's on the right & I'm on the left.

Red Rider
12-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Dammit!, I have no experience with the powervalve cylinders that are available from CT, ESR, or FTZ, but from what I understand, vacuum controlls the valve(s). I don't believe that is the best method of controlling the valve(s), otherwise, wouldn't Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, & Yamaha be using that method? I believe a centrifugal governor is a little quicker to respond to RPM changes. On the plus side, the powervalve cylinder kits just bolt right on without any machining of your cases, unless you get one of the large displacement cylinders.

A standard cylinder is a compromise in power output. It can be setup to produce awesome low-end, mid-range, or top-end power, but not all of the above all at once. A powervalve cylinder varies the size or height (sometimes both) of the exhaust port, as well as the compression ratio, as engine RPM changes. This helps give the engine a broader powerband, rather than finding all of the power in one area, low, mid, or top.

Red Rider
12-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Darius, here's a few more pics that I don't think I've shown on here before.

Jeb
12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Man, I tell ya. That headlight shell is awesome. You did a good job on that. Power valve mods are cool too, but the head light shell looks Factory.

I gotta give you guys both compliments for keeping your machines so clean and STOCK looking. They look so much better like that than those desert ATVs you usually see all stretched out with the +10 swingarms and trimmed up plastics.

And keep those old pictures coming!

Sandman, 1 question for ya. did you strip and polish stock R wheels? or are those highly polished 350X or some other Honda wheel?

Dammit!
12-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Darius, here's a few more pics that I don't think I've shown on here before.

What the... close up of front disc brake please!

AirManCam
12-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Its just a disk, probably from a TRX R...looks good though :w00t:

Maine_Triker
12-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Very good looking Rs!!!!!!!! The best factory looking ones I've ever seen.

Mr. Sandman
12-17-2004, 11:38 AM
And keep those old pictures coming!

Sandman, 1 question for ya. did you strip and polish stock R wheels? or are those highly polished 350X or some other Honda wheel?

Jeb, my rear wheels are ITP's and the front is the stock 250R wheel that I had polished at a chrome shop.

The attached pic is one Red Rider took when he busted some big air over me at the dunes one day. :wondering

Apollo
12-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Awesome work! Really good looking trikes! Red Rider, Is that a stock rear brake lever that is worked on? Does any one make an aluminum one? Same question with your throttle. What brand is your front roter? Is your rear this style? These style roters really help with cooling.

Red Rider
12-19-2004, 02:27 AM
Sandman, I forgot about that pic. After that landing my screen name was almost Dead Rider. :eek: I can't believe I didn't drop the camera!

Thanks Apollo. The rear brake lever is a one-of-a-kind design (actually two-of-a-kind, look closely at Sandman's rear brake lever) that I made out of aluminum. You can get billet aluminum rear brake levers for TRX's, but I've never seen them for the ATC's, so once again, I had to make my own. My throttle is the stock thumb unit. The front brake rotor is a custom design that a guy on e-Bay made for me, and yes the rear brake rotor is a wave rotor also, but I got that from BRAKING USA.

Fox250R
12-19-2004, 04:34 AM
redrider you bike is awesome looking for sure!! :)

AirManCam
12-19-2004, 10:08 AM
I like the kickers too, did you machine them?

Red Rider
12-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks Fox. Airmancam, I was planning on making my own aluminum kickstart lever, until I found the billet levers from Nac's. Now ESR makes them too, along with a few other places that I see advertised in the magazines now & then. Now that these new sport/racing quads (TRX 450R & YFZ 450) are being produced, all of the aftermarket manufacturers are focusing their energies on them, instead of the venerable TRX 250R, which interchanges practically all of the engine parts with our ATC's, so I don't think we'll be seeing any new, trick, billet engine goodies for our bikes anymore, unless we make them. :cry:

AirManCam
12-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Do they happen to make a kicker for a 350x?

Red Rider
12-19-2004, 02:48 PM
I don't believe so.

J La
12-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Excellent Looking bike Red Rider. Ya gotta love that color scheme.

RideRed250R
12-19-2004, 03:33 PM
that pic of sandman wheeling across that dune is AWESOME!
adam

Red Rider
02-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Dammit! I didn't forget about you. You asked about a close up of the front disc, so you got it man! 2 months later, but I came through for ya'. :cool: