PDA

View Full Version : Pullin 4th 0n a hill

a-camp
12-14-2004, 01:36 AM
I mostly race on a pretty steep hill . My bike does not hold 4th. Should I gear to make 3rd faster or drop teeth to try to pull 4th ????? Bikes Not FULL MOD Just ported 1st over 198 comp. Exaust man. FMF pipe Boysen RAD vaulve KNN filter.

bigredhead
12-14-2004, 08:50 AM
My god man... a slight incline requires 3rd on my o'l Red !... LOL... 4th on a steep one ?

AZ250R
12-14-2004, 04:44 PM
I mostly race on a pretty steep hill . My bike does not hold 4th. Should I gear to make 3rd faster or drop teeth to try to pull 4th ????? Bikes Not FULL MOD Just ported 1st over 198 comp. Exaust man. FMF pipe Boysen RAD vaulve KNN filter.
Go down a tooth on your front to a 13 & you'll be able to do it! Takes some get'n used to but I'm pull'n 5th on some of the comp hills out @ the dunes now, its a :w00t:

a-camp
12-14-2004, 08:30 PM
I have a 13 tooth and a 39 . Your saying gear down and go for 4th ?

RideRed250R
12-14-2004, 08:33 PM
yes go to a 12 tooth front sprocket and u will pull hills no PROB!
adam

a-camp
12-14-2004, 08:42 PM
But wiil i get to the top faster in 4th??? 3rd is pretty mean. I Might never need 4th if it was taller. Is this thinking wrong?

atczack
12-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Their saying if you go down one tooth on your countershaft sprocket you MAY be able to PULL 4th gear, but you might not be gaining any more speed. You are trying to gain forth AND speed, correct?

a-camp
12-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Just trying to stay in front . First to the top is the name of the game. So I'm looking for a hill racer to tell me if 4th is something I need or , If I need to sta y in third and go up a tooth if I'm almost to the top when i go for fourth .

J.D.
12-15-2004, 01:11 AM
I say keep it in 3rd, as long as you're not running out of speed you're not revving it high enough. Keep that baby screamin.

AZ250R
12-15-2004, 06:58 PM
I have a 13 tooth and a 39 . Your saying gear down and go for 4th ?
Dood, I used to run a 14 in front (stock I think & had the prob your state'n). I put on a 13, my trike is moded similar to yours (stock rear sproket still, not sure if its a 39 but that sounds right), & I can shoot Olds & Glamis and get into 4th on the way up from a dead bottom start! If I shoot it from 30 yards back or so I can hit 5th gear right as I start up & stay there most the way up! :beer 3rd was OK before, but way wrap'd out and not fast enough to beat the Shees. I don't know whats the diff between ours now though? Try the 12 maybe, I didn't want to due to first gear being almost useless now. With a 12 front I'd never even use 1st anymore... :(

AZ250R
12-15-2004, 07:03 PM
But wiil i get to the top faster in 4th??? 3rd is pretty mean. I Might never need 4th if it was taller. Is this thinking wrong?
Yes I go faster than when I was run'n a 14 tooth front & hit'n 3rd gear. Enough to take most 4 strokes & Shees without much modification, thats fast enough for me. :cool:
I may see your PROB. right in your sig pic, care to guess what? Tis the only thing that I CAN SEE diff. between our rides....

Mr. Sandman
12-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Yes I go faster than when I was run'n a 14 tooth front & hit'n 3rd gear. Enough to take most 4 strokes & Shees without much modification, thats fast enough for me. :cool:
I may see your PROB. right in your sig pic, care to guess what? Tis the only thing that I CAN SEE diff. between our rides....
I'll take a guess AZ. You're running Haulers and a-camp is running Edge's or Sand Skates.

AZ250R
12-15-2004, 07:38 PM
I'll take a guess AZ. You're running Haulers and a-camp is running Edge's or Sand Skates.
We HAVE A WINNER!!! :beer
Now I could B wrong, but I'm gues'n that's IT! Sandman has run his setup both ways, just saw a couple of NICE pics of it, so what do you think?

Mr. Sandman
12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Cool, I'm going to Disneyland! Oops, wrong commercial. Actually I only run the haulers now and I don't even own a pair of knobs.

You're definitley hooking up better with the haulers. How do you like them, last I remember you were talking about getting a pair. They make your eyes water huh? And you never get tired of looking back at the roost they throw.

RideRed250R
12-15-2004, 09:00 PM
u will run fast up olds in 12 but wat i say is 13/39 is stock tooth. 12/39 would prolly be best to start out in 2nd cause 1st going to be real short. get a set of 8 paddle haulers and u be fine the edges are for turns and not straight line i dont know that could be affecting it or not but the haulers run good.
adam

a-camp
12-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Thats an idea . 8 paddle Haulers ? Much steeper than Olds or Comp and shorter. I was starting to think that about my paddles.I was watching Bro we were seeing who could go slowest up the steepest hill we could find . He was hookin up much better and I built his motor. Thanks What about size? How tall are you wheels ?

RideRed250R
12-16-2004, 01:54 PM
mine are 21X11-8 i am not sure if they make a 20 inch hauler and if not and u want a 20 inch tire a HIGHLY suggest the Sand Snake straight paddle its a 8 paddle molded tire i ran that on my R and could fly up a hill but since i had it on a 83 it slowed top end but made the 250R and 400ex HAUL! go straight bent paddles dont let u slide
adam

Mr. Sandman
12-16-2004, 02:51 PM
go straight bent paddles dont let u slide
adam
I thinnk you've got that backwards RideRed. V paddles are supposed to turn easier that straight paddles and straight paddles are designed for the most traction. I've run both and to me, what is gained in the turning and sliding ability of the v's is not worth the loss in the traction the straight paddles provide, you just need to use an little more body english to get the bike to go where you want it to. As for size, my haulers are 10 paddle, 20 x 10 x 10's.

86250RZ
12-16-2004, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=AZ250R]Dood, I used to run a 14 in front (stock I think & had the prob your state'n).

13- 39 is stock.

AZ250R
12-16-2004, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE]13- 39 is stock.
OK, well when I first hit the sand 2 years back the hills were 3rd gear only tasks. So some dude @ the motocross shop told me to go down a tooth on the front sproket. I had a 14 on so the guy who had it before me must have been more into top speed flat drag stuff, right? Cause after I changed to the 13 front I can shoot the hills like I think your supposed to be able to. F&F :naughty:

I'll skip going down to a 12 tooth front, cause I still like to lug with some torque @ times. Although the true "speed demon hill shooters" drop clutch reved out in 3rd @ the start!?!?!? I'm not ready to sacrifice my engine in that way yet.

a-camp
12-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I thinnk you've got that backwards RideRed. V paddles are supposed to turn easier that straight paddles and straight paddles are designed for the most traction. I've run both and to me, what is gained in the turning and sliding ability of the v's is not worth the loss in the traction the straight paddles provide, you just need to use an little more body english to get the bike to go where you want it to. As for size, my haulers are 10 paddle, 20 x 10 x 10's.
I think strait paddles are for dragging , When you are on a steep dune they are harder to turn must put front firmley on the ground. V is for all around rideing .So my goal is to have a bike that starts on the 1st kick NEVER BREAKS on a ride is fun for all around dune rideing Not to low or high on the gears.And stil kicks as at the hill we end up at for raceing. I think softer and more rolled over paddles is a good idea.My tires are hard without air now. feels good at 65mph but spin half the way there.I am thinking of EDGE 20x11x9 JLucky. 8 paddles ?

J La
12-16-2004, 09:06 PM
I run 12\38 with 22" haulers on my R. I can pull Sand Mountain with 4th easily. Remember, even though you're gearing down, you are getting into higher gear ratios and you can go faster on a hill.

a-camp
12-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Is'nt haveing paddles 2 inches taller like going back to square or a 13tooth?

a-camp
12-16-2004, 09:32 PM
ONE^ woops

J La
12-16-2004, 09:48 PM
I agree. Having the taller tires and the smaller sprocket kind of goes back to stock. I've played around with stock gearing and smaller tires and I like my current set up but I am going to start playing around with my rear sprocket now and see what differences I can make there.

a-camp
04-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Well, time to follow up. I dropped down a tooth and my bike went faster on level ground and on hills. No prob going around the bike i have been tyring to beat all year on the steep hill . Guess my bike needed it. Then a friend of my neighbor's who likes my trikes i am always working on out front gave me some IPT Rims with Sand sharks 22in. That's two inches taller than my 20s and I think that's like dropping 1 or 2 more teeth on the rear. Wow, scary fast. I took it to the hill and it more than turned them. I rode a CR500 for 15 years now and this 250 scares me in that perfect way. I think we are done, cosmetics only from now on. 1st kick, fast as I want and tight. Taller tires feel better and hook up much better. Thanks.

Dammit!
04-13-2005, 11:16 PM
I was pulling the main hill at pattons valley in 4th no problem. 5th was not doable though. Running 20 inch sand sharks and 13/38 gearing. How does olds and comp compare to that one? It looked a lot steeper from the bottom than the top. Got to admit I was a little intimidated by it when before I ran up it the first time. :o

That's a crazy feeling by the way. I'm sure you guys are used to it but the first time I attacked that hill pinned in 4th was kinda freaky. I can definitely see why the dune riders are so power hungry now too. You can use every bit of it out there. AND I LIKED IT! :beer

Now to save up for the 310cc power valve kit... :Bounce

a-camp
04-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Glad to hear you did it . The hill i race is like the top of Olds but not as long. Ive gone forward and backwards up it in my Toyota truck. Last trip went miles deep love the dunes behind Olds for truckin.

OldSchoolin86
04-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Is'nt haveing paddles 2 inches taller like going back to square or a 13tooth?
2-inch taller tires with a 12-38 combo is even a little higher then stock.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/250r.htm

RideRed250R
04-14-2005, 12:12 PM
patton is much steeper then olds, now ** talkin the comp hill at pattons and thats not even comparable to olds, olds is steeper and longer, olds is about 2 times that, patton tho has the steepest dunes i know of.
adam

Meat-BoX
04-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Screw the Sprockets and Attach some Nitros and a Rocket to the Trike. Just make sure to shut her down before the top of the hill or you might launch into Outer Space

RideRed250R
04-14-2005, 07:52 PM
lol, yah might want to ask nasa for the rocket science
adam

AZ250R
04-19-2005, 06:14 PM
patton is much steeper then olds, now ** talkin the comp hill at pattons and thats not even comparable to olds, olds is steeper and longer, olds is about 2 times that, patton tho has the steepest dunes i know of.
adam
I'm not sure what your say'n above. My take on it is Patton isn't as used / tore up & is steeper. Here are a few pics of Oldsmobile. Its the largest valley in the Imperial Dunes thus has the "widest" hill climb area. You can literaly line up 50 ATV's, side by side, & RACE. These pics are on a DEAD day out there too. It gets quite crowded @ Olds on most weekends.