PDA

View Full Version : (possibly) Selling Trading R To Keep Up With Buddies

trikezilla
12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
hey guys...FIRST idk HOW MUCH SLOWER THIS IS THAN A YFZ ON TOP END BUT I DONT THINK IT WILL KEEP UP LONG BEING AIR COOLED SO...
i am possibly going to sell my 1983 R in order to get something water cooled or that will keep up w/ a yfz on longer rides...

I was wondering what i could get for it ( i have no pics ) and it has these mods....
-new aluminum front rim with powder coated hub
-new front brake pads
-new front maier race plastic
-rebuilt front suspension (new fork covers too)
-Factory Effex race plate (has no headligh/taillight)
-Oneal aluminum 7/8 handle bars (anodized blue)
-New clutch assembly
-new clutch lever
-Blue CEET seat that says ATC
-custom painted tank...not sure if stock...believe it is
-aftermarket gas cap
-new rear maier race fenders
-Dg header/Silencer
-Rebuilt top and bottom end by local honda shop
-Boyesen Power reeds
-Wiseco piston and rings
-Wooly boogers tires (99% left)
-rebuilt rear shock
-New Regina o-ring self cleaning chain
-New aluminum/reversable/self cleaning 42T sproket
-New renthal Grips
-Fresh rebuild on carb
-new bearing all arount
-port and polish job
-is licensed and registered in WI
-new rear rotor
-newer front tire
-new silencer packing
-red hubs
-new throttle assembly
-new cables
-some other engine work
-other nicnacs
I MAY POSSIBLY CONSIDER A TRADE ON THIS BEAST!!!
let me know how u think this would fair against a YFZ (it will help me decide what to do with it)

RideRed250R
12-13-2004, 09:36 PM
well iam in the same boat as u my big bore R will keep up with about anything, now i didnt say it would beat anything but would keep up with anything, urs is prolly faster then mine since i just got the bored over to 60 honed with a alittle higer compression then stock but i think u would keep up with a yfz but i dont think i could beat it.
water pumper would DEFENTLY keep up.
adam

trikezilla
12-13-2004, 09:50 PM
heres another thought...
since i havent had it out on the corridor much yet (local atv trail made from and old R.R. grade) how long do you think i could do 50 mph trailprotrailpro i would need to let it rest/cool off because of it being aircooled?

RideRed250R
12-13-2004, 09:57 PM
well with me owning one as long as it still has the fins u could run 50 for about ahhh 25-30 minutes myb more iam chopin it down cause i run up and down sand highway at glamis and to patton valley which is 36 miles away in 5th gear and about 3/4 throttle the whole way and never let it cool. and my honing is still good inside.
adam

trikezilla
12-13-2004, 10:47 PM
you mean just the plain fins that are molded to the engine right? the engine is cosmetically unchanged from the original

twgranger
12-13-2004, 10:53 PM
I wish you had some pics of it. sounds real nice.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-14-2004, 01:39 AM
What do you mean front and rear "race" plastic? low profile rear and the vented front, or what?

Its hard to tell price ranges without seeing pictures, because alot of things sound nice but there is also alot of things that go unmentioned that only pics can tell.. Any rust? powdercoated frame? swingarm?,, From the way it sounds,, Depending on what mood ebay'ers were in, you could probly get a 900-1500, 1500 is stretching it alot, but, like I said, its hard to get a good estimate without seeing it.

The engine will run for as long as you want untill it locks up, and it shouldnt lock up if you have it jetted good, the only problem with air foolers, is they lose ALOT of power after there heated up, but it will still get you there.

Blown 331
12-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Buy a 450R. My buddy has a YFZ and they are a good match up but you gotta ride red. My 85R is nowhere close to either one, but I'm working on that problem as we speak. But you still gotta love that 4-stroke reliblity.

Derrick Adams
12-14-2004, 01:20 PM
That's strange that your 85 R isn't close to those bikes. My 85 Z doesn't have any problems keeping up.

Trikezilla: I would suggest to you that you try a bigger carb on your 83 if you know anyone that has one to borrow. My 83 has a stock 30mm carb and my 85R has a 37mm, I can tell you that the 83 has absolutely no top-end because of the small carb. With as much as your bike has done to it, It's just begging for a bigger one. I would switch it out with a flatslide off a newer 250R and you'll be amazed. I went from my stock 34mm on my Z to a 37mm and it was night and day!

Kintore
12-14-2004, 01:24 PM
I agree with adams^ try a bigger carb on it and it should fit on it right away.

RideRed250R
12-14-2004, 03:10 PM
yah but trailprotrailpro going to loose bottom end but with air-cools being monsters on the low end the difference should be like a water cooler just not as fast.
adam

trikezilla
12-14-2004, 06:20 PM
What do you mean front and rear "race" plastic? low profile rear and the vented front, or what?

Its hard to tell price ranges without seeing pictures, because alot of things sound nice but there is also alot of things that go unmentioned that only pics can tell.. Any rust? powdercoated frame? swingarm?,, From the way it sounds,, Depending on what mood ebay'ers were in, you could probly get a 900-1500, 1500 is stretching it alot, but, like I said, its hard to get a good estimate without seeing it.

The engine will run for as long as you want untill it locks up, and it shouldnt lock up if you have it jetted good, the only problem with air foolers, is they lose ALOT of power after there heated up, but it will still get you there.

There is slight surface rust on the header pipe where the welds are. frame isnt powder coated-has a little bare metal and slight rust where your feet and the cables rub. I WILL TRY AND GET PICS UP ASAP!!! I REALLY WANNA I have left nothing unmentioned except tthe fact i took of the front bakes to rebuild them...i have all parts though. the rears work great. the swingarm has been gone over by the local honda shop and everything that needs replacing has been replaced.

ChrisD
12-14-2004, 09:31 PM
My 85R beats most bikes. I beat Raptors with it. Simple mods .120 over piston, milled head, regular boyesen reeds, 39PWK, PT hi-rev and a K&N. The motor isn't even ported.

The 83 - 84 is tougher. You need the 300 kit in my opinion. My 84R was fast, but nothing line the water cooled bikes.

The only thing is this. If you ride in the woods, that will be more of an issue for the air cooled motor. Slow speeds make the motor run hotter.