PDA

View Full Version : Got My New Trike

Cheap250
12-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Got my 185 S trike today for 175 bucks, so far it looks of decent shape its gonna need the front fender patched and some electrical work(kill switch doesnt work) and i have to rig up a light, im planning on getting a cobra megaphone exhuast and k&n filter for it first then checking out the XR200 cams, but i rode it today and its great, its been 3 or 4 months since ive last been on a trike and this is bringin up memories of my old 200S :TrikesOwn

Kintore
12-12-2004, 09:00 PM
good to hear thats shes going, megaphone exhausts are good from what I hear. Does anybody know if a FMF powercore muffler is good?

Cheap250
12-12-2004, 09:03 PM
i have no clue that fmf even had products out for the 185/200 atcs but the cobra exhuast sounds like a good deal cause my 185 sounds pretty wimpy right now, on my old 200S the exhuast had no baffle or spark arrestor it was just straight through and i loved the way that sounded but i wound'nt suggest doing it to a nice trike mine was a beater

mwill15
12-12-2004, 09:55 PM
I just helped someone install a xr200 cam into a 200s today. Seemed to make a difference, but it was hard to tell; he needs new clutches.

Cheap250
12-12-2004, 09:56 PM
was it hard and did you need to readjust the timing? or was it an easy swap, by easy i mean is it possible o do in a couple of hours?

MTS
12-12-2004, 10:00 PM
its an easy swap for the 200's for cams....just take the CDI cover off and oil seal, undo the 2 bolts that hold the cam to the cam gear, pull the old cam out, hold the gear and cam chain so they dont move, pur the new cam in line up the bolt holes bolt er on making sure that the lobes of the cam are pointing down, and tighten them up with some blue loctite on the timeing gear bolts, put the CDI back on and wala...takes like 20 mins to do

Cheap250
12-12-2004, 10:04 PM
awsome man do i need to do anything else to the ewngine or will it be safe just to swap the cam out?

Studytime
12-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Well this is the guy that mwill15 helped out and it took us a lot longer than 20 minutes. The install was straight forward except when the timing chain slipped off the bottom pulley.

I would say it can be done in less than 2 hours however. I was surprised and left wondering why everyone doesn't do this mod.

You can order new xr cams from service honda for $58 + shipping. I still don't know how much power it added because my clutch is slipping, but I'll be able to say after I get that fixed. It did definitely add some however. Oh, and besides a K&N this bike is all stock.

Studytime

MTS
12-12-2004, 10:07 PM
should be safe just swaping the cam out...aslong as it is clean, and it wouldent hurt to tighten up the cam chain after that swap....you may have to losen the cam chain a little bit to get the cam out.....sometimes
as for 20 mins Study time.....well i have done it more than i have liked to on my friends 200s...so i have it down to a science...lol :beer

Studytime
12-12-2004, 10:08 PM
should be safe just swaping the cam out...aslong as it is clean, and it wouldent hurt to tighten up the cam chain after that swap....you may have to losen the cam chain a little bit to get the cam out.....sometimes

You'll be good to go with just the cam. That'll get you more power, but if you get the XR valvesprings you'll be able to make even more power. They are not necessary so it seems, and would require you to remove the motor. When my motor comes out for the dome piston you can bet I'll be adding a pair of these springs.

Studytime

MTS
12-12-2004, 10:12 PM
StudyTime, my friend just added a 12:1 wiseco piston to his 85 200m....man the thing has beastly ammounts of torque now...hehe

Studytime
12-12-2004, 10:14 PM
really, i like "beastly" torque. what's he doing for fuel?

Studytime

mwill15
12-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Is he having any problems with detenation. Pump gas or race?

MTS
12-12-2004, 10:26 PM
he is suposed to run race gas in it...which aint cheap...but i think the other night when we where riding around he just took some regular 87 octane and dumped a bottel of 108 octane boost in it...it wasnr pingin or nothin...but he didnt have the gas and boost whernt mixed properly...we figured it outt..it was like 150 octane or something........lol...but we where spining dohnuts from a dead stop in 2nd easy and would pull monsterlike slides in 2ft of snow in 3rd and 4th....so i say it was a good investment....lol it cost him 170$ for the piston..im not sure i would want to put the 12:1 in my bike becuse race gas is pricey....lol...ill let you know more on the power outage once he gets it all back togeather and running on the race gas....we where ridin around with no fenders, seat,CDI cover.....lol :rolleyes:

Cheap250
12-12-2004, 10:28 PM
if i build up my 185 i want to keep it pretty mild because i want the engine to be reliable but i migh work on handling, would extending the rear wheels help me from going up on two wheels??

mwill15
12-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Was just wondering. My ex detenates with anything less than 93 octane, and its only at 11:1.

MTS
12-12-2004, 10:32 PM
yea it should detonate with anythin less than 93 octane i would think, as for reliability on the 12:1 piston....seems ok my biggest concern is that race gas is expensive and the 200 is kinda a pig on gas alredy...and it will run hotten, if you where lookin to build the bike i would recomend a 10:25:1 compression piston, gives a suffciant gain but still dosnt heat up much :)

Studytime
12-12-2004, 10:34 PM
I don't think 150 octane even exits or is possible.

If you started with 87 octane you might have ended with 90 at best. What kind of octane boost are you referring to? Most are very poor at raising octane- that is, if it comes in a 16 oz bottle.

If it ran on that then it will probably run on supreme.

Studytime

mwill15
12-12-2004, 10:36 PM
that would be my recommendation also. Especially if you ride alot of trails. Around here in southern Louisiana, trail riding means slow moving and muddy; not very good conditions for an air cooled motor w/ 12:1 compression.

MTS
12-12-2004, 10:37 PM
heh, well the 150 octane, it said 1 point per every liter per oz or something....it was only like a 2 liters of 87 octane then he added i think it was either 500ml or a liter of 108 ocrante boost...i dunno my friend said somethin about 150 or something....lol i dunno, it must have been over 102 octane at least or elses it would ping...and if anything it was rich and way to much octane....ill find out for sure tommrow ;)

mwill15
12-12-2004, 10:41 PM
The thing about how companies rate octane boost is that when they say 1 point they mean .1 points added to octane rating. so 16 oz at 16 liters using 89 octane to start = 89.1. Maybe the type you have is different, but read the fine print because 99% of them are a waste. They do clean the fuel system rather well though.

Studytime
12-12-2004, 10:41 PM
heh, well the 150 octane, it said 1 point per every liter per oz or something....it was only like a 2 liters of 87 octane then he added i think it was either 500ml or a liter of 108 ocrante boost...i dunno my friend said somethin about 150 or something....lol i dunno, it must have been over 102 octane at least or elses it would ping...and if anything it was rich and way to much octane....ill find out for sure tommrow ;)

I didn't follow all of that, but you don't understand how that works. One "point" is equal to .1 gain of octane. If it raises your octane "5 points" that means it went up 1/2 point from say, 87 to 87.5.

This is how it works. Most of the OTC octane boosters are nothing but toluene. I suggest you reread the label.

Oh, and you in no way have "too much" octane by adding that.

Studytime

MTS
12-12-2004, 10:43 PM
ha....learn something new everyday.....as i said i need a thing under my name that says"villiage idiot" =)

Studytime
12-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Oh, and that apparently wasn't even pure toluene which has a (RON+MON)/1 rating of 114 octane.

Anyway, if it ran that way like you say and didn't detonate, perhaps he doesn't need race gas.

Good luck,
Studytime

mwill15
12-12-2004, 10:47 PM
no one knows everything. Matter of fact, its usually those who claim to know it all that really know nothing. Glad you didn't get offended that we corrected you. It's only constructive critisism.

Studytime
12-12-2004, 10:53 PM
no one knows everything. Matter of fact, its usually those who claim to know it all that really know nothing. Glad you didn't get offended that we corrected you. It's only constructive critisism.

Exactly! I sure know I don't know everything. No offense meant at all.

Studytime

conig
12-13-2004, 07:53 PM
chap250. most definately the 2.5 inch spacers I put on my big red have worked wonders. just keep in mind the width and your riding area. It makes it easier to nick trees.