PDA

View Full Version : Is the valve cover gasket reusable on my atc200s?

Studytime
12-11-2004, 01:22 AM
Well, if you've seen the post about my xr200 cam then you'd know why I'm asking this. ;)

Is the gasket under the rocker arm cover reusable? I'm thinking it's the metal reusable kind.

Let me know please. If it's reusable, I might knock out this cam swap in the very near future and port the head later.

Studytime

thefox
12-11-2004, 01:31 AM
Nope the gasket is not reusable, but that is because it is gasket maker. The book even says to use gasket maker.

Studytime
12-11-2004, 01:32 AM
Well, that would have to be the next best thing. I guess I should just pick my favorite oil-resistant RTV.

Thanks,
Studytime

greenhuman
12-11-2004, 09:22 PM
You don't have to remove the top cover to change cams. Also the XR has the same valve springs as all the other 185's and 200's.

Studytime
12-11-2004, 09:34 PM
You don't have to remove the top cover to change cams. Also the XR has the same valve springs as all the other 185's and 200's.

Are you positive on the valve springs?

Don't have to remove the top cover you say? I just read the book and it says it can be done this way, but its easier to remove the entire engine. I'd rather not do that at this point, but I'm still learning about ATVs and I've never taken the top of a ATC apart.

I don't want to get in over my head. How easy/hard is this swap g.h.?

Studytime

thefox
12-11-2004, 10:56 PM
I would say that it is an easy swap for someone who has some mechanical skills and a book. The hardest part could be just seting the valves once you are done. Removing the engine is more work but does make it easier. With the engine in place the cover can just fit over the cylinder studs and under the frame but it is a tight squeze. I can't remember if you can pull the cam out with the cover still bolted on. Be sure to lightly grease the cam when you put it in so that it is not dry on startup.

greenhuman
12-12-2004, 12:05 AM
The trouble with lifting the top cap is you disturb the head and base gasket and there is a good chance the cam end bush can be installed wrong. When you lift the cap, you also loosen the head nuts and its best not to do this if you don't have to. Remove your tank and fender and you can get at everything easily. I can talk you through the process if need be.