PDA

View Full Version : Is my CDI or Coil bad

po boy
12-10-2004, 10:28 AM
First off, let me say howdy, and what a hell of a cool board to run across. Man, there's some usefull stuff here.

Second, I'm having two problems with my 85 Honda 200.
Number one, I'm trying to identify just what model I have, whether it's the 200M or the 200S. I think it's an "S", but I'm not sure. What's the easiest way to tell (shows just what I know about these things, huh? :) ).
Number two, I have no spark. Now, I've check continuity between the secondary winding of the coil to ground, and I found no path to ground. But when I but my meter on the primary tab on the coil and then touch a ground, I'm getting a very low (0.3) resistance reading. Shouldn't the primary have more resistace to ground than that?
Also, I'd like to check out the CDI to spec, but I can't find a reference anywhere on the net. To save me a trip to Baton Rouge just to get a Clymer book, can someone tell me what to test on the CDI? All I can say right now is that the CDI is not the same as the ones that comes on the 250s. I know the bike I have is an 85 200cc, but that's all.

Thanks for any help.
Check back with ya'll this evening...

bigredhead
12-10-2004, 10:50 AM
check the plate behind the headlight..on the frame. will give year and model.

ClayW
12-10-2004, 12:06 PM
If I recall correctly, the higher the resistance the bigger chance the coil is bad. Not 100% sure though. I can say that the 200M is a bigger bike frame wise, than the 200S. Go look thru the readers rides on the front page of the website and see if you spot yours. Being from Clinton, I assume you know about T-Racks over near Zachary. They are somewhat of a 3 wheeler grave yard. Lots of goodies over there. Some things are pricy, but most are not too bad. You could get a good coil and CDI there. I live south of Atlanta now, but grew up in Denham Springs. There are a couple of other board members from your neck of the woods also. :beer

po boy
12-11-2004, 11:22 AM
The identification tag is missing from the steering head.

Yes, I know of T-Raxx. They have a bad habit of giving me the wrong parts.....
Not owned by the Dubrocs anymore, they sold it out to someone else.

ClayW
12-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Hey PO Boy,

Yeah dad said that the same guys dont own it now. The original guys werent great either. The screwed my 110s valve job up way back in the day. Dad had to adjust them after we got it back, they were not close to being right. Hey check this link out, scroll through the pics and see if you see yours. At the bottom of the page is pages and pages of bikes. There area quite a few 200 models.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/readersrides08.shtml