PDA

View Full Version : tires for 85 big red. replacements needed.

conig
12-08-2004, 07:32 PM
ok well some of you may have read a post I put out earlier this week regarding identifying a bent rim hub or axle. Via a process of elimination, I actually beleive I found the proble. I have a set of um wheel spacers and the wobblie side some how got distorted and doesn;t sit completely flat on the hub.

I hate to loose the width but for now think I will do away with the spacers as they were just kind of covering up my main problem. My big red has a set of cheng shin 828 knobbies. Everyone else that had or has these tires has seemed to be dissatisfied with them as well. I would like to try some new tires first and see if this fixes my problem. heres a pic of my present rear tires.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00000091
they only take 2pounds op pressure.

Ok so here is what I am looking for, I want to be able to get the trike to slide if posible with some body english and primarily loose the tippy feeling my big red had prior to the spacers. I'm thinking I want a square profile tire, I ma willing to go to a 22 inch tire if need be but would rather keep a 25 for gearing purposes. since the axle ratios of a bigred are almost identical to that of a 250sx I am hoping I can see some of the positive gains others have seen.

How about turf busters? please don;t life I can get them at a good price and I seem to see alot of three wheelers with these tires. 25-12-9

I am also thinking about carlise badlands, its kind of a hole shot knock off with a real square profile, or ???? looking for a cheap performer with a squarish profile. I do occasionally take the red through mud, but I can get through most things I want to with my present tire so, it doesn;t need to be much more aggresive.

conig
12-08-2004, 07:42 PM
also what do you guys think of a 22inch black water? I hear quad guys complain they slide to much so it might be nice for the back of a three wheeler.

ClayW
12-08-2004, 08:04 PM
I dont know what to tell you about the kind of tires but I can give you a tip. On the rear you can go with whatever kind whatever size. However, the front is where you have to be carefull. Some 25x12x9's ( stock size if im not mistaken) will rub the fork boots and ruin them. The guy I got my 87 from ruined them by doing that. If you find a pic of the stock tire set up on one. ( not hard to do ) you will notice that the front tire is not a fat tire its a tall tire. Same size and all but taller and higher in the center. This keeps them from rubbing. Again some 25x12x9's will rub. :beer

conig
12-09-2004, 11:32 AM
thanks clay, I replaced the front tire not too long ago with a duro desert 25-12-9, it seems to work well and doesn;t rub, so I will probable keep the front one. I kond of got lucky becuase when I ordered it I had not been to this site and it managed to work for me.

BIGCRIP28
12-09-2004, 12:34 PM
i dont know what you plan to ride in, but those turf tires aint worth $h*t in the mud. Had some turf busters on a big red and they get a slick of mud over them and then they just spin.

ClayW
12-09-2004, 12:35 PM
No problem. I have the stock tread on my 87. I do have a set of practially new tires to replace the rears with. They are on rims and everything. Came off my parts bike. They are the ones with the big V pattern in the middle, and 2 rows of knobbies on the outside edge. They look like they will do pretty good.

conig
12-09-2004, 12:43 PM
bigcrip. I paln to mainly trail ride. I so far am able to go through most things I want to with what I have. but I found a deal on black waters that makes them hard to pass up, and I think I will give them a try. it should give the trike a mean look to it. plus then I could pretty much go through anything.