PDA

View Full Version : how do you seperate fork tubes???!!!

MassTrike
12-07-2004, 07:58 PM
the hex nut on the bottom keeps turning and nothing happens what do i do???

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-07-2004, 08:00 PM
did you remove the dust cover, and the big C clip?

jeswinehart
12-07-2004, 08:06 PM
i know you ain't working on honda but i had the same trouble with a leg on my x forks. i asked howdy wtf was with it and he suggested i ( or i got the idea from him anyway ,,, ) to stuff a wood handle down inside to hold the guts from turning. in my case i destroyed a snow shovel handle and wittled it down to the taper that would "lodge" and hold the guts from turning so i could back out the allen bolt on the bottom of the fork tube.

john

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-07-2004, 08:16 PM
John... Would you happen to have a 81-84 250R clymer manual hanging around? I can somewhat remember when I rebuild the forks on my old R and they told you a trick for if it spins while turning the bolt.... (and would probly be the same in this case)

jeswinehart
12-07-2004, 11:01 PM
lots of nothing ,,, yep ! they kinda elude to the fact to put it all back together and let the spring pressure hold it while you spin the allen bolt out.

kinda/sorta the trick i was refering too ,,, might just save a good shovel !

john

a-camp
12-07-2004, 11:53 PM
I just finished my 86 two sets of 85 and a 84 . Lots of frinds . I used a broom handel jammed in the fork tube after you take everything out . Or you can cean out allen head get a good socket allen and use a high speed impact gun 3/8ths. That is easy way on or off.