PDA

View Full Version : Need to cut knobs off front tire

bigredhead
12-07-2004, 11:34 AM
My 85 . 250sx has a 6 ply front tire and the knobs are rubbing and digging into my forks when i turn or ride an angled hill. I could change the tire to a regular trike tire, but i like the grip this one gives. and also keeps the front down ( yeah.. i know wheelies are cool, but i'm not a huge fan of breaking plastics )

Any suggestions on the right tool for the job ?

twgranger
12-07-2004, 11:36 AM
A grinder.

Lomax
12-07-2004, 11:54 AM
yeah if your going to cut the tire either a grinder, or if you have a lot of time on your hands a dremel tool so you can be more presice.

bigredhead
12-07-2004, 12:03 PM
I have a dremel, but can't even begin to imagine doing that with cut off disks.. that would take forever !!!

I can easily borrow a grinder, i wonder how quickly the disks will get clogged up with rubber tho.

i was thinking a blade knife maybe, have not tried yet, ( am at work and plan to do this tonight so i'm gathering ideas !! )

Billy Golightly
12-07-2004, 12:12 PM
You can try unmounting it and using a razor knife, like they use to carpet and what not with. Or you can use a hot knife, probably wont like the smell though :P

TimSr
12-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Use a razer knife. Grinder doesnt work very well on rubber.

bigredhead
12-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Cool. i have an OLFA utility knife, heavy duty, hopefully should do the trick.

I also have to mend my forks with some JB weld to build up the missing metal from the forks.. thank god i'm not thru them completely, they meed just where the boot meets the metal on the ruduction part.. and they wore something nasty !!! I freaked when i saw them after 1 good ride !!!!!

Mobular
12-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Cut the knob starting from the carcass and ending at the top of the knob. This way if you slip, you won't cut into the tire.

bigredhead
12-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Cut the knob starting from the carcass and ending at the top of the knob. This way if you slip, you won't cut into the tire.

:beer Thanks mob. tiney details can make a big difference huh !.. ;)

Adam250sx graciously gave me a spare tire from his 81 R ( with a tube cuz it's busted up some..and quite worn ) and i was going to put that on it. but with the back bear claws it would'nt look right. I like the agressive look of the claws !!!!

:TrikesOwn

thefox
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Depending on how much you want to take off you might want to try a saw. I can't say that I haven't had to resort to cutting a tire off of a rim with a hacksaw before :o .

Studytime
12-07-2004, 01:16 PM
You could just drive really fast and turn a lot and wear them off like a real man.

:)

Actually I would suggest plucking them off one-by-one with a very large pair of endsnips- something like a farrier uses to snip hooves. You can't accidentally cut through your sidewall this way.

Best of luck on your endeavor,
Studytime

crackshot
12-07-2004, 01:22 PM
you need a hot knife. you plug it in, warm it up and slices them knobs off like butter or take it to a tire shop and they can slice them off with their hot knife.

bigredhead
12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
"He said " Hot Knives " .. hmpf..." LMAO.. reminds me of college !

Cool.. never knew that existed.

ATC crazy
12-07-2004, 05:34 PM
I had this same problem. The tires would wear all the way through and develope a pin-hole that the fluid would leak out of. I JB welded it several times.

I would just use a dremel tool with the cutting disk on it.....it wont smell too good, but it should get the job done quickly.

83185s
12-07-2004, 05:40 PM
use a razor blade..and only take what u need to cause the sides of the tires help alot for traction turning and ull need that

jeswinehart
12-07-2004, 06:54 PM
saw-z-all would be my first and last chose.

john

Studytime
12-07-2004, 06:56 PM
I would just use a dremel tool with the cutting disk on it.....it wont smell too good, but it should get the job done quickly.

I now associate that "smell" with two things;

my mom's vacuum cleaner belts from when I was a kid

and BURNOUTS.

Studytime

JoeSuzuki
12-07-2004, 07:03 PM
You can also use am old Iron (like your mom uses to iron your cloths) and just melt them down to desired size.

bigredhead
12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Well it's -10c out here right now, and i plan to do this in a heated garage. . .. so ssmoking rubber is kinda not the beast option right now.

Gonna try the blade knife shortly and i'll report shortly !

_ utility knife
_ Saws all
_ dremel with cut off disk
_ what ever else i find in the garage if above don't work.

Be back in a few hours !

thanks for all the suggestions guys. ! much apreciated !

bigredhead
12-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Utility knife wins ! Woot !

I removed the front wheel while i was at it to check out the brake hub and liners.. and found a galvanized nail bent around the shaft as a spacer ?????? gonna replace that with real spacers while i'm at it.

The the shaft seems to be stuck to the bearings,, gonna try a rubber mallet to it tonight, as i want to repack the bearings .. I took pictures for later tonight !

jakey
12-08-2004, 08:00 PM
that sx is sick...ooo yea a grinder sounds like the best bet...i dont think cutting would work out too well