PDA

View Full Version : Repainting the crank case covers on motor..

patblkwell
12-06-2004, 03:33 PM
I was thinking about touching up some spots on the left and right crank case cover on my big red with some silver paint. It seems that the original paint on there has flaked off in some spots and even has been faded/weathered. What type of paint should I use to spray on these areas that will stay on good and all? I'm not removing the crank case, I'm just gonna use masking tape to shield the other parts of the motor from the paint. Any of you guys ever done this before? thanks

patblkwell
12-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The crank case doesn't get as hot as in some other places but the heat resistant paint would definitely be nice. The thing is, I have only seen heat resistant paint in black?.. might have to check a few more places..

patblkwell
12-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I am going to check around the stores for silver high heat paint since my motor is all silver. The fins on my motor don't look too bad, not sure if I would paint them since they heat up a lot more than the crankcase-especially near the header pipe. Spray paint would get between all of the fins I'm sure though. The fins on my motor have a little bit of dirt built on them from riding in the mud and stuff. Do you know a good way to get all that dirt and grime off?? If I could get that off, I'd probably spray a little paint on there..

brandosfiero
12-06-2004, 05:34 PM
dupli color has some new heat paint out.it will last up to 1200 degrees. the older paint is up to 500 it does cost like 6 bux a can but it works alot better than the older paint

Mr. Sandman
12-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Use PJ1 case paint, it's heat resistant, is made for bike motors and it comes in a rainbow of colors.

Mr. Sandman
12-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Try the Dennis Kirk or Rocky Mountain ATV websites.