PDA

View Full Version : engine brake in process

gasmask
12-05-2004, 07:27 PM
i just rebuilt my atc 250r/500. while it was down i had it ported & polished & the head setup for super unleaded gas...after putting it together yesterday i was trying to brake the engine in but night came to fast. so i let it run for 30 minutes.today i run the engine for 10 mintues then let it cool for 20 mintues. i did that 3 times...after that i got one of the house fans & put it in front of the radiators & it ran for 2 hours idled low...temperture stayed between 160 & 220 degress...what's the normal braking process?

smokinwrench
12-05-2004, 07:46 PM
I know lots of guys in here will say I'm wrong for doing it this way. I let it idle for a few minutes to check for leaks, then i dle down the road about a 1/2 mile. I then check for leaks. At that point if the radiators are warm to the touch I ride it like the b**ch it is and never give it any slack except for checking for leaks every few minutes.

My thought is all that idleing just builds up carbon. If the engine is assembled properly with good parts it will not blow up.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-05-2004, 07:47 PM
On a two stroke, I'm a firm believer that if something is going to go wrong, it will go wrong as soon as you start it,, When i'm breaking a engine in, I start it, check for leaks, let it idle for a few minutes, shut it down to cool, re-tighten bolts, then start back up and ride the hell out of it. This is how i've broken in numerous engines, and i've never had a problem.

BigGreenMachine
12-05-2004, 07:50 PM
I've heard that too, start it and then let it cool after a few mins of idle, tighten bolts, start and proceed to rife it like you would any other day.