PDA

View Full Version : woblie(spelling) rear wheel. how to tell if its the wheel, axle or hub?

conig
12-04-2004, 11:54 PM
I noticed a couple days ago that one of the wheels on my big red is kind of woblie? I f I ride the trike on asphault and look down at the back left side wheel(drivers side for reference) the wheel is kind teaters back and forth and the trike has kind of a hoping motion. Not literly jumping but not a smooth ride.

its only the left side so I don;t think its the axle, I am hoping its the wheel or the hub, are there any tips for figuring it out?

s an 85 250es big red if that helps.

MTS
12-05-2004, 12:00 AM
take the cotter pin out on the hub nut and tighten up the nut that holds the hub on, if that dont fix it, you either have a bent rim or a bent axel

asc180
12-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Put it on a jack stand or jack with the back end in the air while someone turns the tire or works the gas and watch the back end you will be able to tell.

Adam

MO350X
12-05-2004, 12:01 AM
First thing-grab the axle end nut and see if it's loose.
Next-Sit down next to the trike, grab the tire with both hands and try to rock it side-to-side.
Observe the hub/hub nut relationship.
If there's ANY movement, the nut is merely loose OR the nut's been loose for a while and may have ruined the splines inside the hub.

Anyhoo, pull the cotter pin (if it's still there) and try re-torquing the nut.
I said TORQUE it.
Remember.....These nuts take a serious amount of torque!
I believe my X and R took around 100 ft. lbs..
You're NOT going to get it that tight with a 3/8 or 1/2" drive rachet. :rolleyes:

If your splines aren't ruined, that re-torquing may cure it.

conig
12-06-2004, 11:38 AM
thanks guys, I'm going to check the hub tonight, but worst case scenario as from the diagnosis it looks to be the acles or rim, what is involved in changing an axle?

MO350X
12-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Do you have a manual yet?
If not, GET ONE ASAP.
A HONDA service manual would be fantastic.
I got mine from Ebay.
It's a copy of a Honda factory manual.

This is where I got my 350X and 250R manuals:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_Manuals-Literature_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacategoryZ6029QQsamoto rscategorymapZ6028QQsassZandrewslargeQQsorecordspe rpageZ25QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ2

He shipped fast and I'm thrilled with the price and quality.
If he doesn't have yours listed on that link, just e-mail him and ask.

Don't worry, it's not hard to work on these old trikes. :)

asc180
12-06-2004, 01:15 PM
iF you need the how to from the book i will scan them for you let me know.

Adam

TimSr
12-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Yes, this is not brain surgery. Swap your wheels, and check it, if the wobble doesnt change places, swap your hubs. If the wobble still doesnt change places, its your axle.

TimSr
12-06-2004, 03:41 PM
You should not have any movement or play or wobble in the rear end. When you start to see play, its a sign that splines are beiginning to show some wear.

TimSr
12-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Its important to keep those nuts tight, and retorque often. Whe they are loose and do have slop or movement, spline wear is accelerated.

conig
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
what size nut is the hub nut? I don;t have the correct size so I'll have to pic one up after work.

also I didn;'tt really see the wobbling when I lifted the back end at lunch and tried to tug the wheel back and forth, so I will try torquing the hub down and see if it helps. then I'll try TimSr's approach but it will be a pain since I have wheel spacers. and had to modify my hubs abit for the new spacers, and have longer studs in the hubs.

conig
12-06-2004, 05:10 PM
oh, and I can;t swap hubs on a big red there different, whihc sucks.