PDA

View Full Version : Won't start from battery???

Paul
01-12-2003, 01:04 AM
I always started my yamaha 225dx by pulling the rope. Now that I got it running good I whent out and bought a battery, the best deal I Found was $30. Well I got it conected and when I push the button to start it, i just hear a quite click, its coming from a little black box in the back of the bike, I cleaned tightend all conections I used a plain car battery, and it still does that. Only once in a million try's the starter turned and started up the bike. is my starter dead??

Thanks in advance.

ATCnut
01-12-2003, 01:50 AM
Sounds like you have bad brushes, or dirty commutator sections, in the starter. You should be able to take it apart and clean the commutator and replace the brushes.

Tri-Z dude
01-12-2003, 01:53 AM
i tryed mine of both batteries and the starter works good just wont start my DX for some odd reason
it wouldnt click untill i put a new fuse in it
stock it takes a 10 amp fuse
i had a couple 20 amp fuses so i used one but still wont start off the batter
when it is warm it will start off the batter
so i have no clue y
mines new also and i got mine for 15 bucks at SAMS CLUB
Ben

Paul
01-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Ok, I conected the battery straight to the starter, and no problem it starts it up easely, so it cant be the starter?? there is something that goes wrong in the dx's:(

KLT Man
01-12-2003, 11:03 PM
If you hooked the starter straight to the battery and it turned over then it must be the solenoid or the wire between the solenoid and the starter.

Easy way to check it: :-D
1. You will have a small wire coming from your starter button to the solenoid. When you press the button you should see 12 volts at the wire. When connected, it will energize the solenoid, this is the click you hear. :)

2. At the solenoid, one of the heavier gauge wires comes from the battery and mounts to one of the posts on your solenoid. You should see 12 volts on that post without pushing any buttons. :)

3. The other heavy gauge wire goes to the starter. When you push your starter button, you should hear a "click" and see 12 volts at this post. If you don't, the problem is the solenoid. If you do, then the problem is the wire to the starter.

P.S. Don't put any fuse rated higher than what is suppose to be in there. :shock: You run the risk of causing some serious damage to your harness and components.

Hope this helps. ;)

Paul
01-13-2003, 02:06 AM
OK, I am not really good with names of these parts but i will try to explain my best:) I am guessing that the word "solenoid." is that little round relay thing, with a wire from the battery conected to it and then one from it going to the starter, well that where i did check my battery i conected it straight to the wire from the solenoid to the battery and it ran the starter, so that wire is good, but there is a wire, red wire that is bolted on in the same post of the solenoid and its about two feet long and ripped of from somewhere?? i looked everywhere but cant find where its from, and if its originaly from there or is it and add on from someone else?? and the other problem is that the wire is all melted, i am guessing it toched the ground somewhere or from poor conection earlier, i am worried that something is burned now:((( solenoid?? or what is that black little 1x1 relay with 4 conections? could it have burned???

Sorry so long, thanks for all the help:)

Dirtcrasher
01-13-2003, 12:17 PM
I think even just a Clymer manual has a wiring diagram in the back. That will at least help you identify what each box is by the color wires going into it. For the post with the works when warm but not cold, my horn in my Yota only honks in the warm - I'm sure the contacts are worn and only when the warm up and expand will they work. Anyhow, once you identify what the solenoid is then you can test it as KLT recommended. Relays and solenoids are real simple - they are essentially a switch for larger amounts of amperage. Maybe you can understand this - That dinky little button that says start - if it actually went down to the starter directly, would have to be a much larger switch with much larger wires because things like lights and amplifiers and starters require alot of AMPS to turn them on. So this is why little dinky switches go to a relay or solenoid (the electromagnet) which then applies power to the big wire and the device.

Dynofox
01-13-2003, 03:27 PM
My Dx 225 does the exact same thing. It will start when the battery is connected straight to the starter motor but if connected the correct way I hear a click in the little black box also. I bought a new solenoid for it but haven't had a chance to put it on to see if it worked or not. PS I bought the solenoid for under $30 from www.partsfish.com Good luck, let me know how everything works out.

YTZ250N
01-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Teres a relay in there I am pretty sure. I have sold them before for warriors and all kinds of bikes.