PDA

View Full Version : Q: What to use to remove paint from fender?

mad_max
12-04-2004, 01:01 AM
I've got an old plastic 200x fender that looks like somebody hosed it with Dupli-Color. Do you know of any paint stripper that works well but is plastic friendly?

Studytime
12-04-2004, 01:05 AM
I, personally, don't know of any, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help there.

I recommend sanding the plastic with some 200-400 grit paper and then buffing it with a buffer if you have access to such. In time (yes, takes a while) you'll have your plastic shiny as new. :cool:

Good luck,
Studytime

Yamahauler
12-04-2004, 01:31 AM
A great paint stripper is..... I can't rememeber the name, but you might be able to pick it up at a bodyshop. it is for car bumpers, it strips the old paint off and it is safe on the plastic (at least mine anyways)
What it does is it bubbles all the paint off and you can just spray it off with a pressure washer, it neutrilizes in water.

if you cant find a product liek that, take a razer blade, hold it perpendicular to your plactic and scratch it all off. dont worry though, the scratches left from the razer blade sands out with 260.

When i stripped the old paint from my (yellow) plastics, they were very brown underneath from weathering, i scratched that off with the razerblade too. then wet sanded from 260-1500 and then clear coated them. they look brand new now.

heres what they used to look like.
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/2605/82-rearfendersRH.jpg

now here is what they look like (not the greatest pic though ;) )
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/2558/51-fenders.jpg

jeswinehart
12-04-2004, 08:22 AM
easy off oven cleaner. it takes awhile to work but cheap + readly available.

john

83185s
12-04-2004, 10:08 AM
yea walmart has a bunch of that stuff...i used somethin that was a clear jelly type remover...i cant remember what it was called tho?

ClayW
12-04-2004, 11:12 AM
At the paint supply place they carry (aircraft stripper). They have 2 kinds. One for metal and one for plastic, wood, etc. IT works great. I used it to strip decals. Works great.

mad_max
12-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the response, BTW the Yamaha plastic looks great!

atckowalski
12-04-2004, 12:17 PM
I would start with a razor blade unless the finish is not to bad.If it is not to bad use sandpaper if it is coated with white oxidation then you definetly will want to start with the razor blades. Thanks Yamahauler! Someone else finally agrees with the razor idea :D :beer

Yamahauler
12-04-2004, 02:16 PM
I would start with a razor blade unless the finish is not to bad.If it is not to bad use sandpaper if it is coated with white oxidation then you definetly will want to start with the razor blades. Thanks Yamahauler! Someone else finally agrees with the razor idea :D :beer
ya it definatatly works great

GreyhoundRugby
12-04-2004, 09:51 PM
The stripper that comes for car bumers, comes from a mix of an aerosol can/shaving cream can. It comes out as a foam so it gets into the crannies. Autozone will have it for like 3-4 dollars a bottle. I posted how I used it on my tank and it did a pretty good job.

smokinp
12-06-2004, 02:28 PM
yea,oven cleaner works great..