PDA

View Full Version : A tip for Tecate tanks

3Razors
12-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Anyone who has a tecate tank knows how easily they discolor. Me and a few other freinds found that if you use a 2 stroke oil with either a green or blue dye in it, the tank will not turn that nasty tan discoloration. Red and brown oils seem to be the worst culprits!

BigGreenMachine
12-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Problem with that is the sun and gas makes the tank discolour, not the colour of your mix. Besides that who has a perfect Tecate tank anyway?

3Razors
12-03-2004, 06:06 PM
The sun puts the white oxidation on the outside of the tank. The dye seeps through the plastic and changes the coloration. Just like if you paint a plastic tank and the paint bubbles from the fumes. You can get a tank to look new again if you take it too a good auto upholstery shop and have it re-dyed, they do it all the time for interior dashes.

HRC1
12-03-2004, 06:41 PM
The sun puts the white oxidation on the outside of the tank. The dye seeps through the plastic and changes the coloration. Just like if you paint a plastic tank and the paint bubbles from the fumes. You can get a tank to look new again if you take it too a good auto upholstery shop and have it re-dyed, they do it all the time for interior dashes.
do they use a liquid dye? i have only seen the spray on dye that is basically paint for interior trim, has anyone tried seeling their tank with some sort of gas tank anti leak? likc creem? i'd think if it stops metal tanks from leaking, it would stop plastic tanks from changing color.

TECATE CRAZE
12-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Problem with that is the sun and gas makes the tank discolour, not the colour of your mix. Besides that who has a perfect Tecate tank anyway?

I guess I got lucky , here is a very nice non faded 1986/87 Tecate gas tank .

3Razors
12-03-2004, 07:35 PM
That is a very nice T-3 tank! It's also another part that is discontinued!

Darius1502
04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Ok....I'd like to know more about this 3 Razors. I guess Blue Marble is a green dye. Thats good, right.

Also the dye idea is very interesting.

Great post and great info.

I am also thinking about the Creem option.

Great stuff..any updates?

Dirtcrasher
04-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I was gonna say.... Would it pay to add green dye to your mix??

joe_f7
04-02-2008, 08:47 PM
DC will soon have our solutions for the 86-87 tanks. and i won't switch oils because of the color. i want to always run the best oil. my two top choices are red and brown.

3Razors
04-03-2008, 06:57 PM
It is tough to find a tank that is not discolored already...but if your one of the lucky ones that has a nice one the blue or green dyed oils keep the tank looking good. My bro. has his original tank from 1986 and the only oil that has ever been in it was Belray MC1 (blue) and it looks just as good as new. If Blue Marble is green it would be a great choice too, maybe it would help bring back the green finish to one that is discolored already?? Doubtful but maybe.

I could never find a uphlostery shop that had a lime green dye to try out a tank. I guess lime green isn't the top choice for car interiors today:lol: