PDA

View Full Version : 85 200X fork seal trouble

85 200X
01-12-2003, 12:04 AM
I have a 85 200X and it needs new fork seals. I got the forks off and I am to the point where I need to get the dust seals off. The slider part slides through the dust seal and stops dirt from going down to the oil seal. There is a clip right below the dust seal and the oil seal is right below the clip. The dust seal is very hard plastic and I can't get it
off. I tried sticking a small screwdriver between the seal and the aluminum tube but it won't come out and I don't want to gouge up the tube and I would like to save the dust seal if possible. How can I get the dust seal out without hurting the tube or the seal. Or do I have to get a new dust seal? Thanks

ATCnut
01-12-2003, 12:27 AM
What has worked good for me in the past is a thin putty knife. Take a file and take the corners off the end of the putty knife, but dont sharpen it into a blade. Put the square end of the putty knife against the junction of the dust seal and the fork tube, and bang the putty knife handle with the heal of your hand. The putty knife is thin enough and wide enough that you should get the dust seal to move without damaging either the seal or the fork tube. Go around the seal and get the whole thing broke loose. if it is still tight then I use a thicker putty knive that is stiff enough to pry the seal out. The dust seals are expensive because you have to get them from honda because they are not usually replaced.