PDA

View Full Version : 110 carb trouble???

Lomax
12-02-2004, 01:24 PM
I am still working on My 80 model 110 and It is giving me the slip on whats wrong. It will crank up and run fine as long as the choke is on, as soon as you turn the choke off, it dies and will refuse to run otherwise. The carb has a fresh rebuild with all new jets, seal, and gaskets. I am going through the carb again right now and I just cant find anything wrong, anyone have any ideas????

TheOlderFox
12-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Is the carb not seated on the intake right, or is the intake/air box have a crack in it? Is the air adjuster screw in properly? You may also want to check the fuel flow and height. If that is off, you could be running lean.

Lomax
12-02-2004, 02:54 PM
I'll go start checking those above mentioned items but there is something that I fogot to add before. The trike has a Pro-X piston (std compression) UNI air filter and a Cobra exhaust.
Ok, Dunce hat please! I know that I am running lean now that I thought about what i just wrote (been a long very tiring week). New question is, what is the stock size jet and what do you think I should move up to?

Quickonstep
12-02-2004, 02:57 PM
is your plug white? did you put a stock jet back in it? or the same one rather... you dont really need a new jet, just get a jet drill and drill your existing jet, but you could buy another jet.. i just find the drills much easier to use becuase you can drill with it still in the carb (at least with boat motors you can)

Jesse

Mr. Sandman
12-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Based on the mods you listed, you should not need to re-jet. And you definitley don't want to start drilling them out. More than likely you need to clean the fuel filter and possibly clean the tank (rust). Buy a manual as I've said so many times many other posts. It's well worth the $20-$25 and will save you headaches from the poor advice of less than knowledable individuals.

Lomax
12-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Well It has a brand new tank on (plastic unit) and I have a manual as well. when you set the carb on the stock setting it wont run unless you are giving it throttle or the choke is on. I tried raising the needle and it kinda helped a little. it will idle but when you give it gas it reves way up and takes a while to idle back down. Im wondering if that carb isnt just toast, even though its rebuilt and clean.

Mr. Sandman
12-02-2004, 04:54 PM
It's tough to diagnose over the net, but as the Older Fox said before, it sounds like it's sucking air from somewhere. If it only runs crappy at idle to 1/4 throttle it's not the main jet. It definitley doesn't sound like an electrical problem but you might replace the plug with a new NGK & check the point gap too.

BIGCRIP28
12-02-2004, 05:06 PM
I got a 110 oversize pro-x (standard comp), cobra megaphone, and uni filter, and mine is not running rich and i never rejetted. I put in a carb kit thats it.

Lomax
12-03-2004, 11:06 AM
I guess that I will try to put new points in it and see if that cures up the problem. thanks everyone so far.

Quickonstep
12-03-2004, 11:13 AM
hrmm.. new points? if it runs when you have the choke on, but not when you have the choke off, i HIGHLY doubt its a points issue... your probably getting a airleak in there someplace and thats what it sounds like, choke restricts air, and adds fuel, hence if you have an air leak... it would make it run "normal"

Jesse

TheOlderFox
12-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Points either work or they don't. I don't think that they would be the issue. You can check the gap of the points to make sure that you are firing at the right time and duration, but I don't think that they are bad.

BIGCRIP28
12-03-2004, 12:46 PM
It is definitely something to do with your air or your fuel.

bigred110
12-03-2004, 03:29 PM
I had the same problem with my 79 and it turned out the gasket between the intake and head wasn't good anymore. Replaced and haven't looked back yet.

double r
12-03-2004, 11:57 PM
don't feel like its only yours, mine does the exact same thing. i have a 85. i know its not a good thing but i found out it will run like a scalded dog without the airbox. but if i hook the airbox back up it will only run with the choke on. with the airbox off it idles perfect and runs all gears all the way out with no bogging or hesatation. i think i'm going to look to see if a air leak could be my problem. good luck on finding yours. :)

LilEngThatCould
06-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Well I dont think its the gaskets because my 80 was doing the same thing and I bought a complete gasket set and it still wont idle.I dont know whats wrong with it.Its one thing after another with me.Can anyone tell me what the stock size main jet is because I want to put a bigger one in there.A new carb for an 80 is going to cost me 183 bucks but the local atv mechanic says that my carb is worn out???I think hes trying to screw me over because I dont see how a carb can wear out,besides the jets and stuff but I'm just going to buy a carb kit.

Lomax
06-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Well a carb can wear out, or if it had/has some moisture in it, gets below freezing at night can possiblly (although rare) crack an internal port inside the carb causing it to act a fool. Just as a note, I finally changed the carb out, still didnt fix it (although it got better) and finally just put it in the shop under a blanket and said to hell with it. I'll get back around to it one day, Thats why its not in my Sig.

bigredhead
06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
ahhh quitter. !!! lol.

Got a compression tester ?

Lomax
06-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah, but I dont see the need, The whole trike dont have 20 minutes of run time on it since I went over the whole thing (including the engine) . If i ever get around to finishing up I am going to have to hunt down a gas tank for it as the plastic peice of crap on it looks like exactly that, Crap.

jenndnn3
06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Stock is 85 for main. Lomax, I am with everyone else on this, I think you have/had an air leak. Take some starter fluid and start spraying. Carbs do wear out on these, I yanked one as well. Mine wore at the place that fills with gas, nothing I could do to stop the overflow from going. Drilling jets is fine, but these jets are tiny, so I really dont recommend it. More apt to just flat clog. Lilenginethatcould I need more symptons....Ideling issues are caused by many things on these.

Wow way old thread.

zoomerman
06-30-2005, 05:43 PM
hey turn up the idle on the card settings or maybe the throttle wire isn't sitting right in the card it's happened to my 80 110